COMPLETE : Fairy Tales, by The Brothers Grimm - CL/kr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » December 8th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Oh just one tip, Dave -- leave a little bit more silence at the end of your recordings. Just a hint for the future -- don't feel you need to change this one.

I'd never heard this story before. It's a good one! Should be required reading for everyone.

Kara
Last edited by kayray on December 8th, 2005, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » December 8th, 2005, 3:03 pm

Oh, Billyuno -- we missed you somehow. Old Sultan is yours :)

kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Jon Ingram

Post by Jon Ingram » December 8th, 2005, 7:28 pm

Rather than re-recording, I decided to record a new tale:

43. The Three Languages

I think it sounds a lot better, but I'll let you be the judge!

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » December 8th, 2005, 7:56 pm

Sounds excellent Jon, thanks!

kara
Kara
--------

billyuno

Post by billyuno » December 8th, 2005, 7:59 pm

kayray wrote:Oh, Billyuno -- we missed you somehow. Old Sultan is yours :)

kara
It's okay I get that occasionaly. I tend to blend in well.

http://bob.shenanigns.com/grimm_05_oldsultan.mp3

[edit] I found an error I had to correct, but it's fixed now. If you downloaded this right away and you hear the error, go ahead and re-download the fixed version.
Last edited by billyuno on December 8th, 2005, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » December 8th, 2005, 8:03 pm

billyuno -- I played your file to test it and my son said, "I like that voice!" Henry's very picky, so that's quite a compliment.

kara
Kara
--------

osmia

Post by osmia » December 8th, 2005, 8:17 pm

billyuno: I think your reading "stands out" : )

... but you missed an edit where the cat's tail is standing straight in the air, approx. 3:50ish (mins)into the recording.

billyuno

Post by billyuno » December 8th, 2005, 8:23 pm

Yeah, I found that too. It's fixed now, go ahead and re-download.

Tell your son I said thanks Kara. I've always seemed to have an affinity with young children...

Thanks to you too Osmia. I practice a lot, reading aloud to myself.

drixman

Post by drixman » December 8th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the updates Kara. Everyone else, excellent work, its all coming together now, heh heh heh.

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » December 8th, 2005, 8:37 pm

Thanks for catching that, Osmia! You're a good "proof-listener." I've downloaded the fixed file, Billyuno, thanks.
Kara
--------

billyuno

Post by billyuno » December 8th, 2005, 8:43 pm

Hehe... I just read "The Wedding of Mrs Fox." I have to do that one, both parts. I love rhyming! It requires good timing!

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » December 8th, 2005, 9:27 pm

~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » December 9th, 2005, 3:41 am

Are there any left for me? I'll record 48, The Blue Light, but will be happy to shift, if someone else is doing it.
Last edited by Peter Why on December 9th, 2005, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

billatrit

Post by billatrit » December 9th, 2005, 3:44 am

drixman wrote:That does sound good, what kind of mic are you using? Do you have any recording tips for people who have not recorded before?
In response to the microphone question - I'm using the most inexpensive, lightweight, plastic PC microphone you can imagine.

Re: suggestions? I'm almost as new as you to this. Hansel and Gretel is my SECOND recording to date. So being new doesn't seem to be too awful bad. <grin>

A few things that I think help w/my recording quality.

I record in a QUIET ROOM. I have recorded in both a bedroom in my home - carpeted etc, as well as in a professional sound room at my place of employ. Neither recording sounded any better than the other in my opinion, but since I HAVE the soundroom available and can use it for free, I'm going to take advantage of that <grin>.

To keep myself from "puffing" into the mic I try not to speak INTO the mic, rather I speak ACROSS it (e.g. the mic is not directly in my line of breath when I exhale - it's off to one side.) My difficulty lies in staying the same distance from the mic when I'm speaking (performing? <grin>). I tend to wave my arms around and move - this changes my distance from the mic and (cause the mic is so cheap) the volume recorded.

If you haven't recorded and want to start, to use a quote from a popular sneaker mfr, set aside some time and "just do it". If you like what you've done - Yay! If not, thru the wonder of digitization, you can always RE-record the parts you don't like.

Finally, I don't know what drives you to want to participate - but whatever it is, take advantage of it - exploit that drive. For me it's a combination of things: first I love audiobooks. (I spend a considerable amount of time in the car listening to audiobooks and have some favorites.) Second, I've always wanted to do audio recordings or voice-over work. I've been told I have the voice for it but the opportunity has never presented itself.
I stumbled onto the Librivox project and thought it would be fun (and so far, it has!) Finally, I see this as something of a community service project. It allows me to participate in something that can open doors to people with low vision / blindness, as well as amusing and exposing other folks to the joys of the written word.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Vlooi

Post by Vlooi » December 9th, 2005, 4:40 am

May I have The Willow-Wren and the Bear?