COMPLETE: Deerbrook by Harriet Martineau - ni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan » November 27th, 2009, 10:16 am

Deerbrook by Harriet Martineau (1802-1876).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/deerbrook-by-harriet-martineau/
A three volume novel, Deerbrook (1839) is a story of middle class country life with a surgeon hero.

Like the later and more famous novel Middlemarch, Deerbrook describes the life of country people in a fictional English town. The Grey family live in one of the loveliest houses in Deerbrook, but a change in their lives is going to take place... The Ibbotson sisters, Hester and Margaret, orphaned distant cousins of Mr. Grey are coming to live with them. Like in Jane Austen's novels, we see how the sisters are trying to advance themselves. In Victorian England, the chief way for women to "advance themselves" is to marry well. But will they succeed? And if they succeed, will they be happy?
(Summary by Stav Nisser and Wikipedia)
Thank you very much for suggesting this book, Stav. This one's for you. :)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is May 31, 2010.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/24210
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: STANDARD PL, please!

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Part [number] of] Chapter [number] of Deerbrook. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Deerbrook, by Harriet Martineau.
      [Chapter] [Part]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [[Part] of][Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Deerbrook, by Harriet Martineau."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    deerbrook_##_martineau.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. deerbrook_01_martineau.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

PLEASE COPY ID TAG - TITLE FROM THE MAGIC WINDOW.

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Harriet Martineau
    Album: Deerbrook

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by neerajanagarajan on December 8th, 2009, 11:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

dii
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dii » November 27th, 2009, 10:21 am

Hi Neeru!

I'd like to PL this, please :D
Diana

neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan » November 27th, 2009, 10:24 am

YAY, super! Thank you very much, Dii :D

*hi5* ;)

miss stav

Post by miss stav » November 27th, 2009, 10:25 am

Oh, Neeru, I am so glad you started it. What a nice gift. Aspeshally for my birthday. If you wish, I can get a good summary for you (though I don't think it's in the public domain). I'll give it to you and request that before cataloguing, it will be revised.
Love Children's books? Try On Angel's Wings. Looking for an easy read? Try Herb Of Grace. Want some philosophy? Try The History Of The Devil. Like mysteries? Try Natalie Paige.

dii
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dii » November 27th, 2009, 10:27 am

Thanks! Image
Diana

neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan » November 27th, 2009, 10:31 am

Yay, Stav, I'm glad you like the gift ;) Sure, thanks, a good summary will be very useful :D

Happy Birthday, once again :birthday:

miss stav

Post by miss stav » November 27th, 2009, 11:22 am

"Like the later and more famous novel Middlemarch, Deerbrook discribes the life of country people in a fictional english town. The grey family live in one of the lovelyest houses in Deerbrook, but a change in their lives is going to take place... The Ibbotson sisters, Hester and Margaret, orphaned distant cousins of Mr. Grey. Like in Jane Austen's novels, we see how the sisters are trying to advance themselves. In victorian England, the chief way for women to "advance themselves" is to marry well. But will they succeed? And if they succeed, will they be happy?"
Summary by Stav Nisser.
I read a lot of summarys of this bok and combined them into one pd summary for you. One that you have no need to change. I am quite proud of what I wrote, but if you don't like it- just let me know.
Stav.
Love Children's books? Try On Angel's Wings. Looking for an easy read? Try Herb Of Grace. Want some philosophy? Try The History Of The Devil. Like mysteries? Try Natalie Paige.

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite » November 27th, 2009, 11:26 am

Hi, everyone! I will be glad to MC this one. Will set things up shortly!

Kristine. :D
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan » November 27th, 2009, 11:28 am

It's PERFECT, Stav! I've put it on the first post :D Thank you so much!

neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan » November 27th, 2009, 11:29 am

THANK YOU, KRISTINE! :9:

It was a pleasure working with you Famous Affinities! Happy to work with you again :D

miss stav

Post by miss stav » November 27th, 2009, 11:40 am

Let's complete this sentence "orphaned cousens of Mr. Grey are coming to live with them". Please eddet this.

neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan » November 27th, 2009, 11:43 am

:thumbs: Done, Stav!

dii
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dii » November 27th, 2009, 11:47 am

Yaay, hi again, Kristine! :D It's been an hour since we finished a project and here we go again! :D I'm glad working with you :D
Diana

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite » November 27th, 2009, 12:18 pm

All set up! :D
And I am happy to work with you, folks. Seeing all of you gathered in this project I couldn't just walk by. :mrgreen:
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan » November 27th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Thanks, Kristine!

And now, we're open for business 8-)