COMPLETE: Pioneers of Science by Oliver Lodge - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Pioneers of Science by Sir Oliver Lodge (1851 - 1940).

Volunteers outside the USA: Oliver Lodge died in 1940. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/pioneers-of-science-by-oliver-lodge/

This book takes its origin in a course of lectures on the history and progress of Astronomy arranged for Sir Oliver Lodge in the year 1887. The first part of this book is devoted to the biographies and discoveries of well known astronomers like Copernicus, Brahe, Kepler, Galileo and Newton. In the second part, the biographies take a back seat, while scientific discoveries are discussed more extensively, like the discovery of Asteroids and Neptune, a treatise on the tides and others. (Summary by Availle)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 30. June 2010
    but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/28613
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: SPECIAL: Standard for 'normal text', but Word Perfect for the sciency parts ( tables, formulas, numbers etc...)

CAUTION! Almost all sections start with 'Notes/Summary of Facts for Lecture xxx'. Please read this before you start with 'Lecture xxx'!!
    Please DO NOT read footnotes and DO NOT include captions of figures or references to other PAGES!
    Please INCLUDE references to figures!

Some lectures contain math notation, how to read formulae, please see: http://s22318.tsbvi.edu/mathproject/appB-sec1.asp#main

Some lectures contain tables. Please read the headings in each line. Example from Lecture 1:
    Planet Mercury, Distance from Sun 0.3871, Length of Year 0.24082
    Planet Venus, Distance from Sun 0. 7233, Length of Year 0.61519...

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Lecture [number] of Pioneers of Science. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Pioneers of Science, by Sir Oliver Lodge. Lecture [number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Lecture [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Pioneers of Science, by Sir Oliver Lodge."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    pioneersofscience_##_lodge.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. pioneersofscience_01_lodge.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## [Section title]
    Artist: Oliver Lodge
    Album: Pioneers of Science

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: jo - knotyouraverage
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Availle on August 31st, 2010, 10:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Nice choice! I'll MC for you. :)

I've added a hyphen to the titles in the ID3 tag example. :)
Availle wrote:Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is death of author plus 50 or 70 years) 1940 - not PD in Europe until Jan 1st 2010??
Unless I am mistaken, it's actually not until Jan 1st 2011.

Since the preface is so short, do you want to include it in the file with the first lecture? If so, let me know and I'll change the numbering in the MW before you start entering the titles.
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Jo,

for some reason I had a feeling you'd pick that one up :D

Thanks for setting everything up, I'll fill the MW in a moment...

About the hyphen - I came across this thread (second post) that's why I removed it... :lol: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=397977&highlight=hyphen#397977

You are right, the preface is _very_ short, however, I think I'd just leave it extra as to not 'disturb' the lectures. I have not yet checked the exact length of each section, so we might need more sections later?

Thanks for your help in any case!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Cool! Astronomy text from back when there were only eight planets. Oh... wait... Damn you, IAU! :evil:

I call dibs on lecture II. "Tycho Brahe" is so much fun to say and anyone with a gold and silver prosthetic nose is okay in my book.

Jim
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I've always used the hyphens. I actually like the way it looks, but if you want to leave them out, I won't argue the point. :lol: The files will sort correctly either way, and that's the important part.

Adding more sections can only be done at the bottom of the table, so to avoid having to do a lot of cutting and pasting to move things down, it would be easiest if you check the word counts while you are entering the titles.

Edit: Ah I see you are already doing this! :)
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Jo,

I've filled the MW, and I don't think we'll need the extra sections. Many of the sections are quite long, but the word count is a bit 'over' as I just marked the whole section, including page numbers, figure captions etc. All of them will be well under one hour, I suspect, so no worries there!

Thanks for your help - I hope there will be a DPL along soon... :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

If not, you can always advertise for one.

I'd like to claim section 17: The Tides if I may. :)
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Steampunk wrote:Cool! Astronomy text from back when there were only eight planets. Oh... wait... Damn you, IAU! :evil:

I call dibs on lecture II. "Tycho Brahe" is so much fun to say and anyone with a gold and silver prosthetic nose is okay in my book.
Fascinating... :-) And he kept a tame moose as a pet. What an interesting guy! :lol:

However, the second lecture is all yours. Enjoy! :D

(And, as a side note, I put myself down for the Preface...)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:If not, you can always advertise for one.

I'd like to claim section 17: The Tides if I may. :)
Okay, lets wait for a DPL a little bit more. In the meantime, you can record your very own section 17... Thanks! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Minister of Fun

Post by Minister of Fun »

I would be willing to do Lecture 1.

Thanks.

Maywalt
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Minister of Fun wrote:I would be willing to do Lecture 1.

Thanks.

Maywalt
Hi Maywalt and thank you!

I put you down for Lecture 1 on Copernicus. If you need anything, just let me know! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise.
-- Gore Vidal

Post by Availle »

Thanks for your chapter, Jim!

MW updated - awaiting some PL'er :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

No PL'er coming along, so I did it myself: The following should be corrected in Lecture II:

3:20 annual emotion/apparent annual emotion - annual MOTION (not sure, hard to hear?)

3:36 position of the sun is defit - DEFINITE (not sure, hard to hear?)

19:59 Hallow's pills - HOLLOWAY'S pills

22:46 Copenhagen and Elisnore - ELSINORE

25:51 ingenious tricks and automa - AUTOMATA

Besides that, excellent reading, thank you! You can always read more, you know... :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ewlabonte

Post by ewlabonte »

I would like to do lecture VIII - 08