COMPLETE - Short Ghost and Horror Collection 007 - ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WillmDC

Post by WillmDC »

Hello, Jim. I may have misidentified the MC as you; my apologies. I have uploaded my recording of William Wilson.

Source: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sp/WilliamWilsonPoeMP.mp3

Author: Edgar Allan Poe

Story Title: William Wilson

Duration: 53 min, 22 sec.

It's my first recording; you can list me as Bill Cissna, and link to www.billcissna.com.

Let me know if you need anything else, or if there are any problems.

Bill
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

WillmDC wrote:Hello, Jim. I may have misidentified the MC as you; my apologies. I have uploaded my recording of William Wilson.
That's okay. I've been misidentified for worse... :)

I'm kinda standing in for Catharine for a while, but the ce folder is still the one to use.

I moved the file, so no worries there.

Source: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sp/WilliamWilsonPoeMP.mp3

Duration: 53 min, 22 sec.

It's my first recording; you can list me as Bill Cissna, and link to www.billcissna.com.

Let me know if you need anything else, or if there are any problems.

Bill

Overall, very well done. Just a couple of minor technical nits:

1) Per the first post, file names should be formatted as: ghohor007_shorttitleinoneword_author_readersinitials.mp3

So yours should be: ghohor007_williamwilson_poe_mp.mp3 (assuming you're using "mp" as your initials ???)

2) One of the ID3 tags does need to be changed. Artist should be "Edgar Allan Poe"

The recording itself is great. I haven't listened to the whole thing, but the spots I checked are very well-read. Your volume level is adequate (could stand some amplification, but it's okay as is) and the recording is very clean.

So, just a few technicals to correct and you're all set. Hope to hear much more from you!

Oh, one more thing: We do need the source of the text you read from...

Jim
WillmDC

Post by WillmDC »

Jim, glad we got this much figured out. I'm brand-new to learning how to use ProTools for audio recording, and I was trying not to hit the peak. I'm still trying to figure out why I have to set the mike volume nearly at the top level in order to get the level of volume you hear in the "William Wilson" recording. But boy, what a great exercise not only in trying to get clear speech but in the recording/editing processes of ProTools! I will certainly try to find more ways to contribute to LibriVox.

As for the source of the text -- I went to the library source that LibriVox recommends, found the text there, downloaded it and printed out a Word document for reading purposes. Project Gutenberg.

When you talk about the formatting of the file names, do you mean the ORIGINAL file name -- i.e., how I save the file on my computer BEFORE I upload it? I don't have any way of changing the file name now that it has been uploaded to you.

You also refer to an ID3 tag that needs to be changed. Is that something I need to change? How do I do that?

Bill
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Was this the text? http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2148

I don't know anything about ProTools, so I can't offer any specific help, but when you save or export your file as an MP3 you should be able to name it whatever you like. The file name should be ghohor007_williamwilson_poe_mp.mp3

As for whether that's the same name you want to save it as on your computer, that's up to you, but we do need it uploaded in that format.

Likewise on the ID3 tags, I can't give specifics, but there should be a way to enter them before you export the MP3.

If you need more help, I'd suggest posting over at Need Help? Got Advice?. I'm sure someone else uses ProTools.

Jim
WillmDC

Post by WillmDC »

Jim, having looked all this over, I think I can very simply rename my MP3 file -- and go back on ProTools and adjust the ID tags. I'll see how that goes. But I presume you will want me to upload the file again AFTER that work is done.
WillmDC

Post by WillmDC »

As far as the text source is concerned, yes, I took the text from the Gutenberg source you have outlined.

Bill
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

WillmDC wrote:Jim, having looked all this over, I think I can very simply rename my MP3 file -- and go back on ProTools and adjust the ID tags. I'll see how that goes. But I presume you will want me to upload the file again AFTER that work is done.
Yes, please.
WillmDC

Post by WillmDC »

I'll get on that before the day is out. I'll still identify you as the MC when I upload, unless you tell me otherwise.
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

WillmDC wrote:I'll get on that before the day is out. I'll still identify you as the MC when I upload, unless you tell me otherwise.
Not me. ce - ceastman

:)

Jim
WillmDC

Post by WillmDC »

I have recently uploaded my reading of William Wilson again, corrected as requested for ID3 tags and file name.

Source: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor007_williamwilson_poe_wc.mp3

Duration: 53 min 22 sec
First recording, list me as Bill Cissna in catalogue, link to www.billcissna.com.

Let me know if this is now correctly submitted.
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

WillmDC wrote:I have recently uploaded my reading of William Wilson again, corrected as requested for ID3 tags and file name.

Source: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor007_williamwilson_poe_wc.mp3

Duration: 53 min 22 sec
First recording, list me as Bill Cissna in catalogue, link to www.billcissna.com.

Let me know if this is now correctly submitted.
Looks great, Bill. Thanks! :)

Jim
WillmDC

Post by WillmDC »

Cool, and thanks for all the help! I'll be better prepared next time.

Bill
Eric Leach

Post by Eric Leach »

Hi!

I've just uploaded a story

The Canterville Ghost
by Oscar Wilde

read by Eric Leach
Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14522
URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor007_cantervilleghost_wilde_el.mp3
Time: 55m 28s
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Eric,

Since you signed up for a section of a book I'm BC'ing, I downloaded your section for a quick check of techincals.

Settings all look correct, and I hear no background noise. It's too quiet, however.

You may want to up your mic input volume in Windows, or in Audacity, depending on which hasn't been done yet. 8-) (To do it in Windows, it's something like Start Menu, Control Panel, Sound... then go to the Recording tab, select the microphone, click the Levels tab, and up the slider. I have mine set at 80.)

I tried normalizing your recording to -1.0 dB, then using the Leveler feature set on "Moderate," and it came through much better, and still without background noise. Well done!

I'm uploading the volumized version so you can listen to it and maybe keep it for this collection. I'll edit this post with the link when it's done uploading.

Edit: Here's the file: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor007_cantervilleghost_wilde_el_amped.mp3 and apparently it's 54:44 in length, according to my computer. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Thanks, Tricia. :)

Eric: Welcome! If you want to go with Tricia's amplified version, just let me know and I'll make the necessary changes to the file name so we can get it in the catalog.

Jim