COMPLETE - Short Ghost and Horror Collection 007 - ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Short Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 007

This project is complete. Please visit the catalog page:

http://librivox.org/short-ghost-and-horror-collection-007/

1. How to submit a story, and 'how it all works' here
    Please select and record any short ghost or horror story in the public domain. Try to stick to works that run less than 60 minutes. There is no need to "sign-up" before recording... as long as the work is clearly in the public domain, just start recording. Multiple versions are always welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your selection already; we're happy to hear your version too. :)

A ghost or horror story should have something of an otherworldly or gruesome nature at its core. (Preferably, it should be nominally fictional, but there are enough 'true' ghost stories that they will be accepted into this collection as well.) Take a look at the various collections in this forum and decide which collection your story would work best in.

Please note that a lot of Lovecraft's work is still under copyright - there's a thread here that has an up-to-date list of confirmed PD stories.

Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which story you are submitting to the collection. Please include all this information:

• link to the text source
    • author name
    • title of the story
    • duration (runtime) of the file
    • if this is your first recording: how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Read points 5. to 7. below for what to do before, during and after your recording, and how to send your file.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    No. This collection will be open until it is full (15 stories have been submitted), at which point another one may be

started.
  4. Where can I find horror and ghost stories?
    Two good sources for ghost and horror stories are Horrormasters and Literary Gothic. Of course there will also be bunches on http://www.gutenberg.org/

Stories submitted to this collection so far:

(Admin link)
  5. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  6. DURING recording:
    Leave no more than 0.5-1 second of silence at the beginning of your file.
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Story title] by [Author name]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Story title] by [Author name]."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Story Title]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
  7. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit (optional).

The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    File Name: (lower case, separated by underscores):

ghohor007_shorttitleinoneword_author_readersinitials.mp3, e.g. ghohor006_roomintower_benson_ce.mp3

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

• Title/Name: [Story Title] (e.g. The Room in the Tower)
    • Artist: [Author Name] (e.g. E.F. Benson)
    • Album: LibriVox Short Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 007

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ce - ceastman
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
GreggMargarite

Post by GreggMargarite »

I have uploaded a story

Title: The Invalid’s Story
Author: Mark Twain
File: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor007_invalidsstory_twain_gam.mp3
Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3250
Duration: 16:32
Size: 15.1 MB

Thanks;

Gregg Margarite
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

GreggMargarite wrote:I have uploaded a story

Title: The Invalid’s Story
Author: Mark Twain
File: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor007_invalidsstory_twain_gam.mp3
Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3250
Duration: 16:32
Size: 15.1 MB

Thanks;

Gregg Margarite
Thanks, Gregg.

And since I'm a sucker for a Twain story, I couldn't resist listening to it immediately.

PL OK. :)

Jim
GreggMargarite

Post by GreggMargarite »

I have uploaded a story

Title: Lazarus
Author: Leonid Andreyev
File: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor007_lazarus_andreyev_gam.mp3
Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13437
Duration: 45:34
Size: 41.7 MB

Thanks;

Gregg Margarite
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Woo, more Gregg stories! Can't wait to listen. :)

-Catharine
GreggMargarite

Post by GreggMargarite »

Catharine:

Well… it’s nice to be appreciated! Thanks. I don’t get this kind of reception everywhere. In fact the jerk that BCs the Short Science Fiction Collections is constantly getting on me to improve my meager reading skills. That’s why I submit to your kindly thread.

Gregg
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

*blink* *shrug* Must be a personal preference thing.

.... *goes and looks to see who's BC of Short Sci-Fi*.....

.... *comes back with proverbial egg on face* .....

Heh. You got me good!

-Catharine
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

:lol: Gregg's just being modest. Knocking himself down a peg, probably, to make up for all the (well-deserved) praise he gets over at SFFaudio

Jim
GreggMargarite

Post by GreggMargarite »

Here’s how it works… I don’t use emoticons. I understand the need they fulfill, but every time I use one I see the un-smiley faces of the nuns and monks who shoved composition into my head. They say, “If your writing is clear emoticons are unnecessary!” I try to imagine our descendents attempting to denote emoticons in an audio book but can find of no acceptable method for the addition of a laugh-track to my recordings.

Anyway, I can’t deny that what I find humorous is occasionally too understated or obscure for some people. And I believe the LV forums call for courteous repartee. Therefore, if I am critical it’s a good bet that I’m talking about myself, the only person I have a right to insult (with the exception of all the idiots in the world).

As for the praise I don’t believe it’s had much effect on my self-esteem… did I mention the nuns?

Gregg
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Your nuns knew what emoticon are? How progressive. I'm sure my nuns thought moveable typeface was just a fad and disapproved of plastic rulers on traditional, æsthetic, and utilitarian grounds.

Jim
GreggMargarite

Post by GreggMargarite »

Despite the fantasy aspect of the quote it’s quite true there were no emoticons during my school days. There were however protoemotocons. As I recall my nemesis Sister James, who subsequently left the convent to become a psychologist specializing in lesbian issues (no joke), would often dot the “I”s of favorable remarks with a smiley face. Then there was Brother Mark who had a set of ink stamps ranging from smile to frown to correspond to grades.

Of course all of this goes against my fantasy quote but what the hell? I just remembered that girl who dotted her “I”s with hearts… Her name was Lydia; I met her at the worlds fair in 1900, marked down from 1940… Ahh Lydia…

Iconographically yours; :|

Gregg

P.S. – You’re right about the plastic rulers.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

GreggMargarite wrote:Anyway, I can’t deny that what I find humorous is occasionally too understated or obscure for some people. And I believe the LV forums call for courteous repartee. Therefore, if I am critical it’s a good bet that I’m talking about myself, the only person I have a right to insult (with the exception of all the idiots in the world).
Fair enough... and now I know. My original intention in determining the BC of the Sci-Fi collection was to give them a good talking-to, since complaining about the quality of a reading beyond understandability is one of those Not Nice things that we try our best to discourage - as, of course, you know. And calling someone a jerk didn't sound like your usual polite self, so I figured that someone had managed to really get under your skin. I guess they had, rather literally!

Anyway. My sympathy about the nuns. Will you ever get over the trauma?

Oh, and Lazarus was great! Having heard the Biblical tale in church just a couple of weeks ago, it was quite effective for me.

-Catharine
GreggMargarite

Post by GreggMargarite »

I don’t view it as trauma. Ultimately I gave as good as I got. They taught me to be rational, and then regretted the result. Maybe we should feel sorry for them…

Gregg
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

I will be out of town and unable to get onto the Internet from Friday through Sunday. I'll return Monday.

-Catharine
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

I'm a poor substitute for Catharine, but I'll be around...

Jim