[COMPLETE;CHILDR] Five Little Peppers and How They Grew -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lezer

Post by lezer »

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney.

Chelsea is BC for this project!

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/five-little-peppers-and-how-they-grew-by-margaret-sidney-2/
The Five Little Peppers series was created by Margaret Sidney covering the life of five children with the surname Pepper. The Pepper children were very poor, and their widowed mother was left to raise them by herself. In order of age (descending), the children’s names were Ben (Ebaniezer), Polly (Mary), Joel, Davie, and Phronsie. Five Little Peppers and How They Grew is the first book in the series. (Summary from Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: July 26, 2010 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2770
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Five Little Peppers and How they Grew, by Margaret Sidney. [Chapter ____]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Title, by Author. [Translated by [translator]]."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    fivelittlepeppers_##_sidney.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. fivelittlepeppers_01_sidney.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Margaret Sidney
    Album: Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by lezer on July 25th, 2010, 11:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
lezer

Post by lezer »

This was an orphaned group project - Chelsea has asked me to re-surrect it, and is eager to BC for it! I will MC.
We already have a potential DPL - at least, in the old project - I will contact him to see whether he still has the time for it.

Well, Chelsea - all set and ready to go I think. Just two things:
- what would you like to have as the "target completion date"?
- And you might want to look at the summary that is given here: it contains rather a lot of spoilers it seems (I don't know the book), which is OK to have here on the "working project" but would be less good for the catalogue - it seems to give away the whole story! Have any ideas for a good, tantalizing (and PD) blurb for the catalogue? (Of course you only need it at the very end, when all is finished).

Anna
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

Alright! So...since I'm not sure how well this will catch on, I'll make the target completion date around 11 months from now, so September 24, 2010? Sound good?
And...thinking on the summary...

:D -Chelsea
lezer

Post by lezer »

Sounds fine to me, Chelsea - you can always adapt it later if needed.
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

Sweet! So...when is this going to get moved over to Readers Wanted?? Just wondering...
lezer

Post by lezer »

Whenever you wish! How about now?
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

Alright! :D Sounds good. I PMed you about the summary.
Primsong

Post by Primsong »

I love the Five Little Peppers, quite delighted to see this here. Any preference on which chapter I might tackle? I can just go ahead with chapter Two unless you have other plans.
"Conquer the galaxy! Unimaginable power! Unlimited rice pudding!"
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

Chapter 2 is fine - it's all yours! :D
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Chelsea!

I'd love to take chapter 3!

Elli :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

Thanks Elli - have fun! :D
Primsong

Post by Primsong »

Great, thank you! Hopefully won't be too long to get it done. - Amy
Primsong

Post by Primsong »

To my astonishment, I had a chance at some quiet time :9: this afternoon, so here it is:

Chapter Two: Making Happiness for Mamsie

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/fivelittlepeppers_02_sidney.mp3

Text url:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2770/2770-h/2770-h.htm#2H_4_0003

Duration: 21:34
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

Wow, thanks for your promptness! :D If you'd like another chapter, let me know.

-Chelsea
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Chelsea!

Here is chapter 3:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/fivelittlepeppers_03_sidney.mp3

10:15

The book is fun... I'd just love to do another 2-3 chapters (don't care which)! :D

Elli
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)