COMPLETE - The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius - NF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KBD

Post by KBD » May 5th, 2006, 4:19 pm

I am about 100% sure the word should be "always". I have a modern version and the word is "always" in it.
KBD

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » May 5th, 2006, 11:16 pm

Thank you, KBD, for taking the trouble to look this up. The concensus was moving towards 'always', and you've made it a certainty.

Thank you,

David

Gesine

Post by Gesine » May 5th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Ah, great. What a weird way of misspelling! Probably one of MS Word's weirder suggestions for spell-check substitutes. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

KBD

Post by KBD » May 6th, 2006, 6:38 am

The Gutenberg texts vary in quality. Sometimes it is easy to decipher the word that was not read correctly by a scanner? and other times impossible to discover what the word is without finding a copy of the book. I'm guessing they scan the books and put them into text format. Sometimes the texts are quite accurate, perhaps they are proofread better than others before Gutenberg publishes them.
KBD

hugh mac

Post by hugh mac » May 6th, 2006, 4:28 pm

I had no idea that the world of volunteer audio book creation moved so quickly.

I would like to start by reading:

17 - Section I, and Song I: The Thorns of Error.
18 - Section II, and Song II: The Bent of Nature

if they are still available.

earthcalling - this sentance is very strange. My penguin copy has "Yet if being miserly always makes men hated, while being generous wins them popularity , it is by spending rather than hoarding that men win the better reputation." This difference seems fairly hard to explain other than a mistake in the gutenburg text. Especially since the translation of proper nouns is usually fairly reliable.

thanks for the advice on increasing the mic volume, however I find that even when it is at full my recordings still seem softer than most others. My mic is fairly primitive, though. any further advice?

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » May 6th, 2006, 8:02 pm

further thoughts on faint files ... so much could be the cause ...

[Edit: see my post below about "gain" -- May 7]

you checked input volume at the computer, right? the Start>control panel>sounds thing?

your distance from the mic when you're speaking will matter.
balancing act -- close enough for good volume, positioned to side or screened well enough to prevent plosive-explosives (I have a headset and today* I think that *for me* the best position is in a line with my chin --

*last week I thought best position was between nose and mouth, but manohman the SSpikeSS on my SSeSS SSent me SSearching for SSome other SSolution! (I'm also learning to use a de-esser for those)

so, computer input volume, mic position ... then your software settings that you record through.
Using Audacity? there are two sliders, "gain" sliders...maybe they have an effect on recording levels.

BEST SUGGESTION: Make a little test and send it to Gesine. Maybe you can describe your set-up: "I'm recording into a XYZ desktop mic. It's about level with my chin, at about 2o'clock from my mouth, 3 inches away and has a foam cover. I use Audacity on a PC, and I set my volume on the computer one hatch mark from the top. I slid that microphone slider all the way right in Audacity. And this first sample has no amplify effect on it.
For this bit, I applied amplify to it, clicked the "allow clipping" box and dragged the amplify up to 7. But it's pretty hissy, huh?
For this bit, I tried the..."
and so on. Just a thought.
Send that to Gesine and then get her input:
"Great! That's a perfect volume, no worries."
"Hmm, I have three ideas, but first answer me this..."
etc.

oh boy. people will be afraid to ask for "advice" or "any ideas" if they see me on a thread. I'll tell you one thing. I'm still splashing around, trying to find what swims for me. Recommendation: definitely the little test for Gesine's feedback. And then, Recommendation: with her feedback and your own best guess (for now), just do it. Make files. Anything worth doing is worth doing badly -- like dancing, writing love letters, reading aloud -- it's so worthwhile, it doesn't have to be perfect.

And then for the next one or the one after that ... you'll get a better mic! (:

a.r."rarely succinct"dobbs
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on May 7th, 2006, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gesine

Post by Gesine » May 7th, 2006, 1:08 am

Thank you, a.r. and hugh mac. 17 and 18 are yours.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » May 7th, 2006, 10:30 am

Here is:-

13 - Section V, and Song V: The Former Age

http://download.yousendit.com/212351813156314D

David

Gesine

Post by Gesine » May 7th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Thanks, earthcalling - will download tomorrow.

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » May 7th, 2006, 4:23 pm

faint files -- GAIN

Gain had been mentioned to me before, but I didn't spot *this* gain control -- how did I not know this by now?
um ...
so ... amplify is nice and everything, yes yes, but...
there on the left side of your track in Audacity are two sliders
the first of those (with the - and + signs) is gain
slide it right ONE click -- listen now to your track.
It's instantly amplified without affecting your original file

--->>>don't blow out your ears or speakers
--->>>use caution on this slider
ease it up one click at a time or else ... ow

If that slider is slid to, say +6db at the time you export to mp3, the whole file will be amplified by that amount (noise included, but I'm not going there)

wow
a.r."slap-on-the-forehead"dobbs

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » May 8th, 2006, 9:13 am

More about faint files:

My favorite solution so far! (after proper input volume, that is)

Ever work in Photoshop? Ever duplicate a layer of faint type so it'll be stronger just by having a twin? I have. So I tried something in Audacity that worked better than amplify, to my thinking:

I used this technique yesterday on my Dracula chapter 15 (it's 36Mb), so I won't suggest downloading it.
In Audacity, after I'd done all my editing and other steps (de-ess and compress), I duplicated the track. (Then I applied a Columbia LP equalization to the duplicate, which took away much of the digital scratchiness). No noise reduction, no amplify. Before exporting, I actually slid the gain down a bit (-3db on two equalized tracks and -12db on the unequalized track), and I believe the resulting mp3 is much better than if I'd applied noise reduction and / or amplify.

Well, I'll gather the will to move this tech talk to the appropriate forum ... um, Suggestions... I think. But just... lazy for now. And still experimenting.

a.r.dobbs

kri

Post by kri » May 8th, 2006, 1:07 pm

a.r.dobbs wrote: Well, I'll gather the will to move this tech talk to the appropriate forum ... um, Suggestions... I think. But just... lazy for now. And still experimenting.

a.r.dobbs
Great idea because this may help a lot of people. When you're not feeling so lazy, head on over if you please! :)

hugh mac

Post by hugh mac » May 14th, 2006, 9:54 am

17 - Section I, and Song I: The Thorns of Error.

http://download.yousendit.com/3812E9B05D5144D3

I was hoping that you could give me some feed back before i record section 18 so please email me if there are any problems or if there is anything i can do better. volumn level, speed, clarity... that sort of stuff.

a.r.dobbs - thanks for the advice. I also discovered a "microphone boost" option in my sound properties which greatly helped the situation.

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » May 14th, 2006, 11:15 am

hugh mac --

::Applause:: for your first reading posted,
and for your wisdom in getting feedback!

Since you ask for feedback via email, I've sent my specific kudos and ideas that way.

here, though, I'd ask if others hear the buzz/hum -- maybe my earphones have exaggerated it?

and here I'll give my general comment that I hope you'll read a lot for LibriVox, because I would look forward to hearing it!

a.r.dobbs

Gesine

Post by Gesine » May 15th, 2006, 7:34 am

hugh mac - 17 has arrived, thanks, will send feedback per email as requested.

a.r.dobbs - definite hum!

earthcalling - 13 downloaded fine, very nice!