COMPLETE: Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

TWO women's roles in the whole thing? That must be an all-time low even for old Shakespeare?

Hmmm... *thinks a little while grumbling*

:idea: Can I be the soothsayer? Unless she's referred to as a 'he' at some later point... :roll:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Aw, boo. :) Okay, I've had another look at the available parts, and I would like to do Marullus and Messala, please.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

chocoholic wrote:[ I have asked aradlaw, who will be editing, if he would like a tone or some such mark between scenes in a file; we will let you know about that soon.
Hi Abigail and others...
a tone would be useful in separating scenes for those with multiple scenes per act.
Here is a sample tone, easy on the (my) ears...
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/ashort_tone.mp3
you may care to download and use :)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Kalynda

Post by Kalynda »

May I have Decius Brutus (12)?

Cheers,
Kalynda
Il faut cultiver nos jardins.
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

I'll take
18 Soothsayer - 9 lines
:)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/juliuscaesar_soothsayer_18.mp3

00:58

Oops, sorry Ava. But you did first ask to play one of the gal roles... ;)
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I go to work for a few hours and look what all happens :D

mikegoldster: Excellent, I will look forward to your Antony! I have checked the tech specs on your poem (so obviously no test recording is needed now). It is in stereo and we need mono; otherwise everything is great! I hope you will do lots of recording for us!
edited to add: How would you like to be credited in our catalog? Either the Poetry coordinator or I can add your name to the catalog database.

Availle: Yes, you may have the Soothsayer, thanks for volunteering!

wildemoose: Thanks for understanding. :wink: You are down for Marullus and Messala.

aradlaw: Tone link added to recording instructions, thank you!

Kalynda: Decius Brutus is yours, thanks!

BellonaTimes: I'm sorry, BT, Availle beat your claim by 7 hrs; would you care to choose a different role? I do appreciate your enthusiasm (and I understand the appeal of the Soothsayer part too). :)
Last edited by chocoholic on October 10th, 2009, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie Anne
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi!

I'd love to do Cinna the Poet! :D

Elli
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Elli!
Laurie Anne
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Here's Marullus! 1:58

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/juliuscaesar_marullus_1.mp3

Please let me know if you want me to make any changes...I just got a new microphone today so I am happy for any opportunity to play. :)
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

I suddenly feel like Margo Channing. But of course Eve, er, Ava, go right ahead and soothsay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XypVcv77WBU

:lol:

j/k

How about
33 First Citizen - 18 lines ?
My Catalog Page
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, wildemoose, it sounds great and is PL-OK!

BT, I have you down for First Citizen, thanks! That's a movie I need to watch sometime. Don't know how I have missed it so far. Nice clip though I can't tell if you or Ava is supposed to be Bette Davis. :lol: (Is the other one Margo Channing?)
Laurie Anne
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

chocoholic wrote:Thanks, wildemoose, it sounds great and is PL-OK!

BT, I have you down for First Citizen, thanks! That's a movie I need to watch sometime. Don't know how I have missed it so far. Nice clip though I can't tell if you or Ava is supposed to be Bette Davis. :lol: (Is the other one Margo Channing?)
Me: Davis / Margo
Ava: Eve/ Anne Baxter (actually not a slam because she's beautiful and holds her own up against Bette D.)
Blonde lady she's talking to in the clip is Celeste Holm (Karen, wife of playwright / collaborator of Margo's)

Definitely rent it; it's one of the best movies of all time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_Eve

Great Oscar-winning screenplay by Joseph Mankiewicz with sharp, funny dialogue. George Sanders got an Oscar too playing the uber snotty critic Addison DeWitt. Marilyn Monroe has a couple of good scenes and Thelma Ritter is brilliant as Margo's dresser.
My Catalog Page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

BellonaTimes, I am not trying to superseed you... in fact, I would have been willing to give up the soothsayer part - he is referred to as 'HE', so a male voice would be better - but, as you did not record ALL his lines...

(Hint: Click on 'show full lines' on top to see ALL of what you'll need to say, might come handy... :wink: )

Here's my recording, 1:35 for all of it (I inserted the tone between acts):
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/juliusceasar_soothsayer_1-3.mp3

aradlaw, as the soothsayer should be a guy as is clear from the first few lines, I have experimented a little using a Audacity to change the pitch: If you change the file from E to C#/Db 'down', the voice will sound more male, without being too distorted... I'll leave it up to you :)

Thanks for having me! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Raeubertochter

Post by Raeubertochter »

I would like to read Young Cato and the Second Commoner - if a female voice is fine for the smaller parts?
Sonja
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thank you, Ava, the Soothsayer is PL OK! You will have plenty of company reading a man's part with a woman's voice in this play. With 46 speaking roles, 44 of which are male characters, it is inevitable. If there existed a PD play with 44 female characters, the tables would be turned. :)

Sonja, you are welcome to those parts, thanks!
Laurie Anne