[COMPLETE]The Kalevala compiled Elias Lönnrot-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I have been busy while the forum was down, here is rune 28: Recording time: 11:32 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/kalevala_28_lonnrot_128kb.mp3
Sonia
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Great work Kitty! PL OK :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Thanks, Kyle :) I love the rhythm of the old epics.

I think I can make time for another rune, can I claim RUNE XLVIII: CAPTURE OF THE FIRE-FISH, please ?

Sonia
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All yours Kitty - :D

Anne
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Kitty, Rune 21 is PL OK!
ForEmma

Post by ForEmma »

I have a question about pronunciation and metre. It seems that pronouncing some of the proper nouns in correct Finnish style messes up the cadence of the poem. Which is more important to preserve - the pronunciation or the metre? Or am I making up false dichotomies... :roll: Heh. Thanks!
Soli Deo Gloria,
Jenn

My LV recordings
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Hi Jenn,

Could you give some examples of the proper nouns and the metre discrepancies that you are coming across?

There are moments here and there where the translation doesn't quite fit the metre correctly, but they seem to be few and far between. There is an old Finnish reading out there where the reader is correctly singing the metre, and even then there are slight deviations at the end of lines. Can't find it at the moment, but I know it's out there.

Kyle
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Here is rune 48: Recording time: 12:30 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/kalevala_48_lonnrot_128kb.mp3

Note to the PLer: I found some mistakes in the text, which didn't make sense, so I checked other texts online and amended the sentences. They are the following:

> Quickly brought it borne and dried it. - should be "home"
> Burns the and heath and meadow - should be "arid"
> In one band a cup of white-frost - should be "hand"
> Let these clouds bring snow and ... - end of line missing, added "hoar-frost"

Sonia
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great you caught them . The first three are common OCR (optical character recognition ) mistakes and when it actually makes a real word it is easy to miss in the proofing stage

Anne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

annise wrote:Great you caught them . The first three are common OCR (optical character recognition ) mistakes and when it actually makes a real word it is easy to miss in the proofing stage

Anne
hehe, yes I know about OCR mistakes...I'm an active Distributed-Proofreader for Gutenberg as well ;) I've seen many such mistakes in my time and am constantly on the lookout for them LOL

Sonia
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Rune 48 is PL OK Sonia! Thank you.

Again, great catches. It is one of the elements of trepidation when it comes to reading this text (and others, I assume). It's great to know you are keeping a weary eye out for these things :)

Kyle
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I have some other commitments to finish first, but I'll claim another rune for later then, if I may.

45. Rune XLV. Birth of the Nine Diseases (sounds like something Doctor House would love :mrgreen: )

Sonia
ForEmma

Post by ForEmma »

MrKyle wrote:Hi Jenn,

Could you give some examples of the proper nouns and the metre discrepancies that you are coming across?

There are moments here and there where the translation doesn't quite fit the metre correctly, but they seem to be few and far between. There is an old Finnish reading out there where the reader is correctly singing the metre, and even then there are slight deviations at the end of lines. Can't find it at the moment, but I know it's out there.

Kyle
I went back and fact checked and it turns out I hadn't gotten the correct pronunciations. All is well again! Thanks for your patience, and I'll be posting these soon! :)
Soli Deo Gloria,
Jenn

My LV recordings
ForEmma

Post by ForEmma »

Here is Rune XXII! Hope the pronunciation turned out alright. Let me know and I'll fix whatever! Running time is 17:01.
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/kalevala_22_lonnrot_128kb.mp3
Soli Deo Gloria,
Jenn

My LV recordings
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Hi Jenn,

Thank you for the submission. A few notes:

- In the line "Active agents is his bunting." Bunting should actually be hunting. There are errors like this in the text and I'm afraid the only way around them is to catch them when reading. No fault of your own!

- In the line "Why my mind is so dejected," you read "Why thy mind is so dejected"

Besides those, the reading was very accurate. You have a unique cadence and great tone. Your speed and the presence of the recording shifted a bit throughout, but I understand how those are hard to control, especially in these longer Runes (and even more so with punch in/out editing and noise reduction processing).

If you can just adjust for the above points, I think we'll be good to go!

Cheers,

Kyle