COMPLETE : Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Vol. 2, M.R. James

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » May 4th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Thank you Peter, I now have the updated version of v2_02 =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 5th, 2006, 6:21 am

Hi Peter,

"The Tractate Middoth" is Fine!

You just need a few more seconds of silence at the end, as the author's name is cut off from the end statement...

Maria

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » May 5th, 2006, 8:45 am

Thanks, Maria; I'll check how much silence there is, according to Audacity, but I may leave it as it is, as it would involve another upload from me to yousendit and a dowload from there to betsie.

Peter

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » May 5th, 2006, 11:11 am

close enough for jazz... and librivox ;)
~ Betsie

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » May 17th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Casting the Runes is done. Betsie, I've just remembered that the mp3 tags need a little tweeking: could you set the track number appropriately for me, please? and I keep forgetting to set the year to 2006: or at least, I do it, but Audacity forgets it .. then I forget to correct it later. My apologies.

Peter

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » May 17th, 2006, 5:49 pm

I'm downloading it now... and no worries about the ID3 tags =)
~ Betsie

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 18th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Hi Peter,

I just listened to "Casting the Runes." It's fine!--no changes.
It was a pretty neat story. I think I prefer this second volume.

(End statement is again partly cut off by RealPlayer.)

Maria

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » May 18th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Thanks, Maria; I find the James stories in general a little too "soft", gently narrative, and rarely shivery. Two more to go, then it's The King in Yellow.

Real Player really does damage to these files; I think there was about five and a half seconds of silence at the end of Casting the Runes.

Peter

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 18th, 2006, 7:17 pm

I never new that about RealPlayer until I started in LibriVox. (I always thought it was a problem with the files themselves.) Then I tried adding silence, and behold! there the missing parts were! I have found that longer files need longer silences at the end.

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » May 19th, 2006, 1:04 am

Maria,
That's an interesting point. Would you be willing and able to carry out an experiment and test it with files of different length to see if some sort of general rule can be worked out for the length of silence at the end of all our recordings? ... or I can transfer this query to the Suggestions thread to see if someone else will take it up. I don't have Real Player installed, or I'd have a go.

Peter

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 19th, 2006, 6:47 am

No problem. I have a little program that easily adds silence. If you have some particular files for me to use, just tell me where to download them...

Maria

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » May 19th, 2006, 7:11 am

Maria, if you have more than a couple of mp3 files on your computer, by checking their length according to Audacity, and where they get cut off by RealPlayer, you could create a table of loss due to RealPlayer against Audacity file length. If we're lucky, it'll be a linear relationship ... at least approximately.

Otherwise, I could create a set of test files of precise lengths, with me counting through the final minute, so it'll be simple to see where they get cut off ... but this'll involve quite a bit of uploading and downloading, especially if we investigate very long files.

Your choice; I'm happy to create the files. If we can get a simple formula for the amount of final silence needed, it'll be an immense help for the Librivox readers.

Oh, and by the way, I've just put the link to the second section of The King In Yellow into that solo thread, if you'd like to have a critical listen to it for me,

Thank you,

Peter

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 19th, 2006, 8:56 am

I think that before I decide how to do this, I need to download Audacity. I do have lots of MP3 files, but they have all been fixed, when needed, as far as silence.
I think I can do some editing and use these.
As a preliminary guideline, I can tell you that one of my files that was over 90 minutes long required 10 seconds of silence. I think anything over 30 minutes would require at least 6 seconds. Very short files don't need any silence added.

I forgot about "The King in Yellow." I'll give it a listen...

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 19th, 2006, 9:07 am

I just had a brilliant idea! Yes, I am a genius!

I'll take one of my 60 minute plus "Lux Radio Theater" files and cut it up into 15, 30, 45...I can also add to it. These programs are easy to mark, as they have lots of background (ongoing) sound. This way we can know roughly how much is cut off and how much silence is needed at these points.

Maria

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » May 19th, 2006, 3:06 pm

A lovely idea; I don't know how to cut up mp3 files in that way. Go to it!

(Another King in Yellow episode now available! Very strange.)

Peter