[COMPLETE] Livy's From the Foundation of the City Vol. 1 -km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kmerline

Post by kmerline » August 29th, 2009, 2:50 pm

From the Foundation of the City (Ab Urbe Condita) Vol. 01, by Titus Livius (Livy, 19 BC-17 AD); translated George Baker (translation published 1823).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/from-the-foundation-of-the-city-by-titus-livius/

Ab urbe condita, is a monumental history of ancient Rome written in the Latin language by Titus Livius, an ancient Roman historian. The work covers the time from the stories of Aeneas, the earliest legendary period from before the city's founding in c. 753 BC, to Livy's own times in the reign of the emperor, Augustus. The last year covered by Livy is 745 AUC, or 9 BC, the death of Drusus. About 25% of the work survives.

Livy's History of Rome was in demand from the publication of the first packet. Livy became so famous that a man from Cadiz travelled to Rome just to see him, and once he had seen, returned home. The popularity of the work continued through the entire classical period. A number of Roman authors used Livy, including Aurelius Victor, Cassiodorus, Eutropius, Festus, Florus, Granius Licinianus and Orosius.

Livy wrote during the reign of Augustus, who came to power after a civil war with generals and consuls claiming to be defending the Roman Republic. Livy's enthusiasm for the republic is evident from the first pentade of his work, and yet the Julio-Claudian family were as much fans of Livy as anyone. Livy must have been viewed as a harmless and irrelevant advocate of the ancient morality, which was a known public stance of the citizens of Patavium.

During the Middle Ages interest in Livy fell off. Due to the length of the work the literate class were already reading summaries rather than the work itself, which was tedious to copy, expensive, and required a lot of storage space. It must have been during this period, if not before, that MSS began to be lost without replacement.

The Renaissance was a time of intense revival; the population discovered that Livy was being lost and large amounts of money changed hands in the rush to collect Livy manuscripts. The poet, Beccadelli, sold a country home for the money to purchase one manuscript copied by Poggio. Petrarch and Pope Nicholas V launched a search for the now missing books. Laurentius Valla published an emended text initiating the field of Livy scholarship. Dante speaks highly of him in his poetry, and Francis I of France commissioned extensive artwork treating Livian themes; Niccolò Machiavelli's work on republics, the Discourses on Livy is presented as a commentary on the History of Rome. Respect for Livy rose to lofty heights. (Summary adapted from Wikipaedia by Karen Merline.)

Titus Livius
From the Founding of the City
A.U.C Dating
  1. How to claim a part:
    To find a section to record, look at below at the sections. All those without names beside them are available. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Date March 1, 2010, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (but please read only from the individual .txt file for your section: http://oll.libertyfund.org/index.php?option=com_staticxt&staticfile=show.php%3Fperson=70&Itemid=28
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Please read the beginning and end announcement in the individual .txt files.
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    foundationofcity01_##_livy.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - Book 01 part 01
    Artist: Titus Livius
    Album: From the Foundation of the City Vol. 01

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by kmerline on September 1st, 2009, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 29th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Hooray for Livy! :D

Can I claim sections 1 and 2? :)

Edit: And section 9? :shock:
Leni
=================

Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

kmerline

Post by kmerline » August 29th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Oh, thank you, Leni! You certainly may!

btw, Vitruvius is up to Archive OK; I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 29th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Eek, Karen, sorry. I meant Sections 00 and 01 (and 09), that is, the Preface and Section 01.
Leni
=================

Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

kmerline

Post by kmerline » August 30th, 2009, 8:41 am

OK!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 30th, 2009, 10:53 am

Out of curiosity, would you want to use scootermark's abandoned section for this project? It'd preempt Leni's claim, however.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

kmerline

Post by kmerline » August 31st, 2009, 6:57 am

Tricia, I hope to continue to the rest of Livy's Bks 1-10 and 21-45. Admittedly not good at searching, I couldn't determine that there is a complete set online of the translation Mark was using; plus, I couldn't determine the death date of the translator, so important to the European volunteers.

Since there was only 1 chapter, I decided to switch to this one - easily downloadable accurate scans, and all the advantages.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 31st, 2009, 7:13 am

Ah! Sounds like a plan. 8-)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

evilnick

Post by evilnick » September 2nd, 2009, 10:38 am

Can I have section 04?

kmerline

Post by kmerline » September 3rd, 2009, 8:07 am

evilnick, welcome to LibriVox and welcome to Livy! The section is yours. :)

mwharr

Post by mwharr » September 3rd, 2009, 8:48 am

I'd be glad to take section 02--

--Mark

kmerline

Post by kmerline » September 4th, 2009, 11:07 am

Thank you Mark, Sec 02 is yours!

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » September 17th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Leni
=================