COMPLETE : Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Vol. 1, M.R. James

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

This project is complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here: http://librivox.org/ghost-stories-of-an-antiquary-by-m-r-james/

This is a collection of eight short, but nonetheless nasty, stories; there are seven stories in volum two. The first two that I've done are around half an hour long; if they are all that length, I'll record them separately, if much shorter, I may bring some together.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8486

If I allow perhaps a few days for each (plus a little time for real life), both volumes should be done by the end of June ... but almost certainly long before then.

I'll put them in Readers Wanted as I do them; for the moment, as yousendit links, but I hope to use someone's server space later.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on April 22nd, 2006, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Peter, glad to see you're back doing more ghost stories... I'll grab your links from Listeners Wanted and store them for you... and MC your project for you too =)

(note: instead of spelling out volume_one in your file name, please use v1 so that when other volume(s) are added all of the files will sort numerically)
Last edited by thistlechick on April 14th, 2006, 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Betsie,
I'll do that.

Peter
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

First three chapters are here: http://betsie.info/librivox/ghost_stories/

:)
Last edited by thistlechick on April 14th, 2006, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Betsie
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Betsie;
I couldn't get that link to work, though shortening it, I got to your home page okay.

Thanks for doing this; there may be further changes in the first two after Maria's read them, though. Will this cause problems?

Oh, another thing. An oddity of Audacity that I've confirmed is that it (usually? always?) doesn't seem to save the year when you enter it as an ID3 tag. I've had to edit the year in, using MP3Tag. I think the versions of the second and third stories that you have don't have the year in their tags. Don't bother correcting it, though because there may be later edits.

Peter
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Peter Why wrote:Betsie;
I couldn't get that link to work, though shortening it, I got to your home page okay.

Thanks for doing this; there may be further changes in the first two after Maria's read them, though. Will this cause problems?

Oh, another thing. An oddity of Audacity that I've confirmed is that it (usually? always?) doesn't seem to save the year when you enter it as an ID3 tag. I've had to edit the year in, using MP3Tag. I think the versions of the second and third stories that you have don't have the year in their tags. Don't bother correcting it, though because there may be later edits.

Peter
oops... sorry, left out the /librivox/ portion of the url.. i've corrected it in the link... sorry, i've been zoning out a bit lately...

when there are changes to the recording, go ahead and make them and just post a new yousendit link with a note that it is the updated version. I'll grab that and replace the older version on the server for you =)

thanks for the note about the year.
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Just copying this here for future reference so that I can delete the "Listeners Wanted" thread for this volume. This collection will be cataloged with vol. 2 found in this thread: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2125
Montague Rhodes James (1862 - 1936) was a Provost of Kings College, Cambridge, and a scholar of medieval studies. He published a number of collections of ghost stories, many of which he read aloud to friends as Christmas eve entertainment. "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary" demonstrate James' use of the classic elements of the ghost story, with a mild-mannered, curious scholar becoming caught up in the activities of supernatural powers when he discovers an old book, artefact or hidden treasure.

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary - Volume One

1 Canon Alberic's Scrap-book - 34.35
2 Lost Hearts - 27.08
3 The Mezzotint - 31.01
4 The Ash-tree - 35.07
5 Number 13 - 40.12
6 Count Magnus - 36.57
7 'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad' - 49.53
8 The Treasure of Abbot Thomas - 50.01
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

This project is complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here: http://librivox.org/ghost-stories-of-an-antiquary-by-m-r-james/
~ Betsie