COMPLETE: Ulysses, by James Joyce (special rules) - AF/hu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bob

Post by Bob »

I highly recommend listening to the RTE production done in 1982 and now available in CD and MP3 format though a bit pricey. See http://www.rte.ie/readingulysses/ or ask your local library who may be able to get it through an interlibrary loan.
Don't listen with a view to being all that good but for getting some of the phrasing and pronunciations down. And these are Irish people doing the reading so forget the accents! BUT... I listened to my part before and I don't think it helped at all. So... My part should really have been read by a woman as was done on the recording... I had Gertie Macdowell at the beach. Well a man was appropriate at the end... :oops: you have to listen to it.

As Hugh says... the most important thing is to have fun with it.

Bob
VN: For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss; that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Bob, thank you! I've begun to explore this RTE link ... I've listened to their program about my chapter, and the ground is under me again, to orient my cartwheels. I see my fun ahead-- :idea: --the kind of fun that immerses me in the material for a good little while. I thank you again!
a.r.dobbs
I will want to listen to everyone's chapters, yes!
And Hugh, I do very very much value your have-fun-with-it direction.
( :
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

good luck!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Great to see this in Readers Found! Please finish it soon, I long to hear all of it! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Bob

Post by Bob »

Chapter 13 DRAFT is complete for anyone wanting to review and/or edit it. It's the one with Gerty Macdowell and friends with Leopold Bloom as "intense" observer. Available at
http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1TQEHHH0FJS9U10ZG47J1SF2QZ
VN: For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss; that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Here is the second part of chapter 8. I didn't edit this time, partly out of laziness and partly for the rules. I don't get extra points for other readers or public places, but how about for reading it at 3 am during a bout of insomnia and an with an increasingly hazy mind due to the Ambien I took just before beginning? :D I think that warrants a few extra points! It should be an interesting contrast with part 1 of the chapter which is "clean."

I have to say, I really got a lot out of reading this aloud, more than I ever could have reading it from the text. Someday when I'm old and retired I'm going to really explore this book because I know there are depths of greatness to it of which I've only touched the surface.

And without further ado:
http://www.anniecoleman.com/resources/ulysses_08.2_joyce.mp3
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

thanks annie! looking forward to hearing the night & day versions of ch 8 together. ;)
kaustin

Post by kaustin »

I have recorded the complete Chapter XIII (Bronze by gold heard the hoofirons).

How would you like to receive it? (It is currently 16/44.1 and runs about 140 minutes.)

Best wishes

Kevin Austin
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi kevin, sorry to take so long to get to you about the ulysses chap...definitely I'll take it... how can we arrange transfer? yousendit.com is a tool we use a lot, so we can try that, unless you can put it up on a server somewhere & I can download. for yousendit just type in my email: hugh AT dosemagazine DOT com.

I note that was your first post on the forum, so you might not be familiar with the LV process, but normally we post available chapters, and then readers "claim" ones they want to read; so we should end up with one recording of each chapter.

In this case I think someone else had reserved ch 13, but not to worry, because: a) we don't mind having two copies of the same chap; and b) I am certain there will be some drop outs on this project, so I may have to reassign some chaps in any case.

so let me know how you wish to transfer the file. lets try yousendit.com and then see if that works.

hugh.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hi gang!
I've been simmering a long while and stewed up an idea for an experimental collaboration.
I'm posting it here, but I'll keep all updates on the side thread (link below) at the Need Help? Got Advice? forum ... until maybe someone will direct it to a better location than that. (??)

The Collaboration thread:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199&start=60

A call for collaborators - Ulysses Chapter 15c - A Playful Experiment

Hugh has set up special rules -- unruly rules! -- for reading Ulysses. What points I lose (for extensive editing) I expect to make up from sheer enjoyment and chaos (from extensive editing) if I can find a few far-flung collaborators.

15c - "(HALCYON DAYS, HIGH SCHOOL BOYS.." (~1935 lines)
is a remarkable batch of language

to the as-yet-unknown collaborators*
1) let's present each word of the text intelligibly
2) leave the editing and layering to me or share the editing, whatever is your preference
3) let's spend a few days brainstorming how to collaborate (I have a million unthought ideas yet to be spawned by your words)
4) let's play!

*at least three venues of collaboration:
1) participating in the brainstorm
2) participating in the recording
3) participating in the spirit (just by reading this thread and thereby subtly influencing the direction of everything)

more anon at http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199&start=60
anita roy dobbs
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

just an update here. i have contacted all the outstanding chapter owers, and have not heard back from all. there might be some last-minute joyce chapters up for adoption.
Cetz

Post by Cetz »

hugh wrote:just an update here. i have contacted all the outstanding chapter owers, and have not heard back from all. there might be some last-minute joyce chapters up for adoption.
If you need me, and can live with that I'm not sure I can read all the words right. And someone not finish this lovely project. I am interested in doing a little more part. (I am a part in Anitas 15c, I think :) !)
Cetz

Post by Cetz »

a.r.dobbs wrote:Cecilia,
I just want to warn you, most of the Ulysses chapters are over an hour of recording!
Yea ... I know. But I have got this crasy idea about taking my computer too an irish pub in Stockholm, and do the recording there. And let, I don't now. All how is interesting in the place do it with me. Do you not think that would be FUN!
Last edited by Cetz on June 4th, 2006, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Yes! Go early and stay till closing!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hugh, I'll do a chapter if you need more readers... let me know if and what.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein