COMPLETE: Ulysses, by James Joyce (special rules) - AF/hu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

earthcalling/David wrote:In the context of the rest of the article, caution might be the best approach.
Caution seems synonomous with stop in our tracks and probably remove some things from the premises.

copyrighted in US and Europe till 2011 looks black on white
Anita
anna

Post by anna »

Does this mean that your can not finnish the book ? :cry:
That would be a shame, I was looking forward to it. :(
You have been working so hard to complete this.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

oops meant to post this here:
the status seems to be unclear. gutenberg has a version, and they do extensive legal checking, so we rely on their work. i have contacted gutneberg to see if I can get an answer; but the existence of the gutenberg text is enough for me. PLS note: articles in the press are not gospel! mistakes get made!

this article illustrates the unclarity:
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001400563

I have contacted Robert Spoo, author of the article and IP lawyer who has written books on ulysses & copyright, to ask if he can tell me the state of the union:
http://www.dsda.com/Bio/RobertSpoo.asp
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

also, the worst case scenario - if indeed we are violating copyright, which I do not believe we are - is that we will be asked to remove our recordings. until that happens, I believe we should go with the gutenberg legal opinion and forge on. and yes I said yes I will Yes.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

15a is recorded
and if my clone would get here, she could start editing it
meanwhile I'm assembling something completely better than my cold reading of 15a
...anita in editing nirvana
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Section 06 is uploading at the mo, but our internet connection is still more than flakey, so I'll only post the link when I'm sure it's there. That one was recorded in a cafe. I've edited only very lightly - mobile going off, really bad repeats. It's about 90 minutes.

I recorded section 16 in bed this morning. It's a monster of a section and took about 3 hours I think - have to piece it together and edit a little.

Unfortunately, I had to do these very quickly, so they're not very good - although I know the book, it's been a while, and I had no time to read the texts before recording, so I was trying to make sense of it as I was plodding on... but alas, it was fun! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Section 06 is now at http://librivox.gesine.org/gesine/ulysses/ulysses_06_joyce.mp3

76.1MB

Catalogue: Gesine, no URL.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Which chapters remain orphaned now??
Anita
miette

Post by miette »

Well, I made it before Bloomsday rang in in California. Here's section 3:

http://www.enivrez.com/librivox/ulysses_03_joyce.mp3

I think my total points for this reading can be tallied as follows:
- points gained for reading back in December, with a bar, with the whiskey, with friends, ad naus.
- many points lost for losing the recording due to my own idiocy
- points gained for staging an impromptu re-reading on Bloomsday Eve, without the bar or the booze, but with a friend
- points lost for realising there's something amiss with channel balance
- points gained for having to hold my poor processor together with spit and chewing gum to get this monster all sewn up

Which, I think, leaves me totally neutralised and back to 0, but: WHEW.

Happy Bloomsday,
-- Mtte.
Miette
http://www.miettecast.com
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Y A Y - cooloh - your mathejoycematics make fun reading! And I'm looking forward to more listening to miette! Congratulations on on-time-ness!
As a v special reward here's the best glimpse so far of our 15c experiment:
15c-The Race richly read in remote collaboration and enviably edited by Stephan.

anita
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Woohoo for Miette! Woohoo for Bloomsday! Woohoo for Hugh's birthday!

I've boldly edited the first post. Unless Hugh got any secret claims, five chapters are still orphaned: 5, 7, 11, 15b, 17. I've highlighted them a bit. I've marked Miette's and my chapter complete.

Hugh, I've also changed the link in the orphan thread so it points to the first post, which is up to date (I hope - more up to date than the post it pointed to before, anyway)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

It's possible 15b has seen some progress:
Sethwoodworth said "Hrrm, very juicy chapters. I am in the process of moving today. So while I'm interested, I can't reserve/promise to do one of these until this afternoon/evening. I would tennitively like to reserve 15b, but I can't promise anything except further response from me this evening."
And Today is Seth's Bday too!

H A P P Y * B I R T H D A Y S !
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ha! Just 'spoke' to Anita and suggested we do 15b together (seeing she's doing parts a and c, it only seemed logical). We'll take it off poor Seth's hands, I think - a move and a birthday, that's just too much! :)

Signing us up for 15b now... then will email Seth. If he has time, perhaps he'll do another section!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I don't know if Dan was planning for me to post this or whether he was going to, but let me point to the file of chapter 18:

http://www.mediatinker.com/librivox/ulysses_18_joyce.mp3
119Mb
runtime: 2:09:05

It's utterly amazingly read and edited. Dan orchestrated a double handful of poets and actors for his chapter.

Listen with headphones :-)
Kristen
http://www.mediatinker.com
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KristenMcQuillin/]My recordings & claimed chapters[/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

so we still have some missing chapters. see the first post, i think up to date. congrats to all who got things done on time! lets forge ahead...

PS here is the response i got from Mr. Spoo:
Dear Mr. McGuire:

Thanks for your inquiry. As it happens, a lawsuit has recently
been filed in which the issue of the copyright status of the 1922 Paris
first edition of Ulysses in the United States will be addressed. Of
course, there will be no definite judicial answers anytime soon. As for
the article of mine that you found, the arguments are still valid, I
believe, and no one has shown them to be wrong. Of course they apply
only to the 1922 Ulysses, no other version. The "Mickey Mouse"
extension should not have affected this edition, in my view.

I hesitate to give you a specific recommendation as to whether
your project would be challenged, since I don't know the details of your
plan, and that would be in the nature of a legal opinion. I do,
however, have many clients like you and your group that I provide advice
of this type to. Although I do charge a fee for such advice, that fee
is reasonable. Please let me know if I can help in that way.
Sincerely, Bob Spoo
I told him we have no money for a lawyer, but would he like to read a chapter for us?

my assessment: things are unclear, and until a ruling is made, the 1922 text is OKish. Again, worst case scenario: we are asked to take down the recordings.