COMPLETE [WP]When I Was One And Twenty by AE Housman - rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

DreamingDoll - Nice reading, thank you. I've amplified it a little - it sounded slightly muffled. If your mic input is turned up as loud as possible, to amplify in Audacity select the entire recording (Ctrl+a), go to Effects (in the toolbar) and click on Amplify... It will be set to amplify by the largest possible amount without causing distortions. Don't click the allow clipping box, clipping causes distortions.

Ernst Pattynama - For some reason when I download your file it is tiny and won't open in Audacity or Windows Media Player. Try uploading it again, I'll ask more experienced people if they know what's wrong.

Silverg - Good reading, thank you.

da2962 - Nice reading, thank you.

Secrets - I know that feeling, it's incredibly frustrating. But this reading was also good. I've extended the end silence to 5 seconds.

CygnusR - Nice reading, thank you. All your technical details are correct, your voice is clear and you read quickly but understandably. In future you should use lower case letters for file-names, archive.org doesn't like capitals.
Your volume is very low though. You should check that the microphone volume is at full, both for your operating system in general and inside your recording software (In Audacity, the little slider to the top right of the screen with the picture of the mic next to it.)
You can also amplify, but this will increase the background noise. (Always amplify then do any noise removal, you end up with a better sounding result.) Amplifying in Audacity is done my highlighting the entire recording (Ctrl+a), going to Effects (in the toolbar) and clicking on Amplify... It will be set to amplify by the largest possible amount without causing distortions. Don't click the allow clipping box, clipping causes distortions.
You do have background noise but I've found the tutorial on noise removal for Audacity is very clear and easy to follow: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NoiseCleaning#head-4e425fe9316a87f0a4bab5d7e1a1741af0064e6e and I can provide further help if you'd like.
If you don't use Audacity, the Need Help? Got Advice? forum is a good place to ask about other recording software. And If you need any other help please post here or PM me and I'll do my best.
I have had a go at amplifying and noise-cleaning your recording:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/oneandtwenty_housman_akm_nc.mp3
Let me know if you think this is acceptable, and if it is I'll put this version in the Magic Window.
Finally, what name would you like for your catalogue name? (It can be your real name, your forum name, or any other name you like.) And do you have a URL you want linking to?
I look forward to listening to your future work.

aradlaw - I'm a month away from one-and-twenty, it didn't stop me. Good reading, thank you. (And thanks for offering CygnusR some good advice.)

RuthieG - Thanks for updating the Magic Window. (Yesterday was me and my boyfriend's two year anniversary. After spending the week before going on about pointless, arbitrary dates he surprised me with a big bunch of flowers and then we ate pancakes and watched TV.) Do you know what's up with Ernst Pattynama's file? And will a re-upload fix it? (My best guess is that it didn't upload correctly in the first place, but I could be way off.)
So little space, so much to say.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi Lucy,
I also get a broken file, only 243 bytes :(
It looks like Ernst uploaded a second file, but it isn't there (in Ruthie's folder), just the renamed first file. I guess it needs another upload attempt. :?
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

Here's mine:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/oneandtwenty_housman_cjmb.mp3

0.94MB
0:58

Oh, the world-weariness of youth!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have re-renamed Ernst's file. The link in the MW works now.

I am not even going to try and read this one. I have only a dim recollection of what one-and-twenty was like... :lol:

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
miketheauctioneer

Post by miketheauctioneer »

Hi Ruthie,

May have to help me with the mp3 tags on this. My computer seems to have issues with them.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/oneandtwenty_housman_mdv.mp3

:54
Mike Vendetti
Audio Book Publisher, Auctioneer, Narrator
http://www.mikevendetti.com
Florence, CO USA
DreamingDoll

Post by DreamingDoll »

I will try that in the future thanks!
Morgan Moltisanti

Aspiring Writer/Dreamer/Idealist
thadine

Post by thadine »

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. - William J. H. Boetcker
http://www.thejoyouslife.com
Living life joyously, going from strength to strength and glory to glory.
AmateurOzmologist

Post by AmateurOzmologist »

[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=3994]Miriam Esther Goldman[/url]
Claire

Post by Claire »

E-Dog

Post by E-Dog »

Hpark

Post by Hpark »

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you for your contributions. They are all (I hope) in the Magic Window, and Lucy will PL them soon. I will fix ID tags where necessary when I catalogue the collection.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Zloot

Post by Zloot »

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

icyjumbo - Good reading, thank you. I've shortened the beginning silence and lengthened the end one. I've also amplified it a little.

RuthieG - Thanks very much. A dim recollection is better than what I've got. I've just realised I should have timed this to coincide with my own 21st next month. I'll have to dig up a different appropriate poem for then.
Also, is miketheauctioneer's slightly non-standard outro OK, or does he need to record the usual one?

Ernst Pattynama - Good reading, thanks. I've shortened your beginning silence and amplified your reading a little.

miketheauctioneer - Good reading, thank you. Apart from having square brackets around your name and initials, which I fixed, your ID3 tags seem fine to me. I also amplified your reading. However you use a non-standard outro. You should have said
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.
I will check with the admins to see if what you said is OK, or if you need to just record this and add it on the end of your poem.

thadine - Good reading, thank you. I've amplified it, as it was rather quiet.

AmateurOzmologist - Good reading, thank you. Your volume and speed were good and you put some nice expression into your reading. All your technical details were correct.
However you do have some rather loud background noise. I've found the tutorial on noise removal for Audacity is very clear and easy to follow: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NoiseCleaning#head-4e425fe9316a87f0a4bab5d7e1a1741af0064e6e and I can provide further help if you'd like.
If you don't use Audacity, the Need Help? Got Advice? forum is a good place to ask about other recording software. And If you need any other help please post here or PM me and I'll do my best.
Here is my noise-cleaned version of your file:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/oneandtwenty_housman_meg_nc.mp3
Let me know if you think this is acceptable, and if it is I'll put this version in the Magic Window.

Claire - Good reading, thank you. You're in the Magic Window.

E-Dog - Nice reading, thank you. I've shortened your beginning silence.

Hpark - Nice reading, thank you. I shortened the beginning silence, and I added a missing space to your title ID3 Tag.

Zloot - Nice reading, thank you. I've added 5 seconds of silence to the end of your recording and amplified it. I've also fixed our ID3 tags, you got title and artist the wrong way round, and your file-name (Housman has no e). All easy fixes, so no need to worry.

ezwa - Lovely reading, thank you. Very expressive. I have amplified the two quieter sections a little - I understand it was deliberate, but they are a little too quiet. I've still left them quieter than the rest of the reading. Have a listen to the link in the MW and let me know if you're unhappy.

Wow this poem is proving popular. One of the benefits of a nice short piece I suppose. Thanks again to everyone so far for contributing. Keep them coming in.
So little space, so much to say.