COMPLETE: Aesop's Fables, Volume 11 (Fables 251-275) - SW/ll

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

All recordings can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/aesops-fables-volume-11-fables-251-275/

*Update: this project is currently being coordinated by LibraryLady and ndoo while Chip is away*

Aesop's Fables, Volume 11 (Fables 251-275)

Last Updated: July 22 - FULL

Here's the ELEVENTH volume in this series! These Fables are very popular, and folks love to sign up for them. What's more, they're all SHORT - even a new reader can go from signup to sending the completed file in less than an hour. Experienced readers can literally do these in less than ten minutes. But real life often intrudes upon the best intentions, and sometimes these Fables go unread for extended periods.

In order to make this easier, each Fable now has its own hotlink so you can just click on the Fable name and see the text of the Fable itself without having to download all 284 of them from Gutenberg. That way you can see what you're signing up for right off the bat - and even have it there in front of you to read then and there. They're tiny text files so they should pop up essentially instantly, even over a modem line. You may of course also download the complete text from Gutenberg.

I thought that the idea of doing Aesop's Fables was charming, but was daunted by the fact that there are 284 of the things. Thanks to Annie for the elegant solution of breaking them up into Volumes of 25 Fables each. That'll allow us to read each Fable as an individual chapter. It'll make for short readings, which should prove a comfortable way for new folks to get their feet wet in the strange new format of reading aloud into your computer. A nice side benefit is that even folks with modem lines should be able to upload these without too much trouble. Most are less than 2 minutes long. Feel free to take a bunch of them!

Target completion date: April 22, 2006
Project Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11339/11339-8.txt

AESOP'S FABLES Volume 11 (Fables 251-275)

Yes - 11-01 THE BUTCHER AND HIS CUSTOMERS <earthcalling>

DONE! - 11-02 HERCULES AND MINERVA<earthcalling>

Yes - 11-03 THE FOX WHO SERVED A LION <Robicus>
Yes - 11-04 THE QUACK DOCTOR <Robicus>
Yes - 11-05 THE LION, THE WOLF, AND THE FOX <earthcalling>
Yes - 11-06 HERCULES AND PLUTUS <earthcalling>
Yes - 11-07 THE FOX AND THE LEOPARD <earthcalling>
Yes - 11-08 THE FOX AND THE HEDGEHOG <earthcalling>
Yes - 11-09 THE CROW AND THE RAVEN <earthcalling>
Yes - 11-10 THE WITCH <earthcalling>
Yes - 11-11 THE OLD MAN AND DEATH <ndoo>

DONE! - 11-12 THE MISER<earthcalling>

Yes - 11-13 THE FOXES AND THE RIVER <ndoo>
Yes - 11-14 THE HORSE AND THE STAG <ndoo>

DONE! - 11-15 THE FOX AND THE BRAMBLE <earthcalling>

DONE! - 11-16 THE FOX AND THE SNAKE <earthcalling>

DONE! - 11-17 THE LION, THE FOX, AND THE STAG <earthcalling>

Yes - 11-18 THE MAN WHO LOST HIS SPADE <westwinds12>
Yes - 11-19 THE PARTRIDGE AND THE FOWLER <earthcalling>

DONE! - 11-20 THE RUNAWAY SLAVE <earthcalling>

Yes - 11-21 THE HUNTER AND THE WOODMAN <westwinds12>
Yes - 11-22 THE SERPENT AND THE EAGLE <mcrandall>
Yes - 11-23 THE ROGUE AND THE ORACLE<mcrandall>
Yes - THE HORSE AND THE ASS <mcrandall>
Yes - 11-25 THE DOG CHASING A WOLF <mcrandall>

There are no numbers in the Gutenberg text, so if you choose to download from there, please search for your fable by name.

File Name Format
Please use Volume and Fable number to distinguish between the fables. For instance, THE OLD MAN AND DEATH would be
fables_11_11_aesop.mp3

ID3 Tag Formats:
Title/Name: The Old Man and Death
Artist: Aesop
Album: Aesop's Fables Volume 11

File Format:
Stereo, 128kpbs, 44,100Hz, MP3

You may either post a link to your completed files here in the forum or email them to me via http://www.yousendit.com/ at ac DOT timshel AT gmail DOT com

If you use YouSendIt.com, please post the yousendit link here in the forum.

Please include the following with your file:
- Your name as you would like it to appear on the catalog page
- URL of your homepage if you have one you would like linked to your name on the catalog page

Please check the Recording Notes thread before recording:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
If this is your first recording, you'll also find this useful:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
The following information should be included within the recordings:

INTRO

"This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: LibriVox.org"

If you wish, say: "Recorded by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

Say: "Aesop's Fables, [title of fable]"

END OF RECORDING
Please say "end of [title]" and leave a few seconds of silence.

Pease remember to check this thread often for updates!
Last edited by ChipDoc on May 3rd, 2006, 10:09 am, edited 18 times in total.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hey Chip,

It's my first time, so I'd love to try some Aesop. Could I take:-

11-01 The butcher and his customers
and
11-09 The Crow and the Raven ?

Many thanks!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, earthcalling! I love that name; it reminds me of the wavering sounds of Auntie Beeb bringing hope to the world back in WWII. We're happy to have you here - it's always good to hear a fresh voice in the mix!

11-01 THE BUTCHER AND HIS CUSTOMERS <earthcalling>
11-09 THE CROW AND THE RAVEN <earthcalling>

Let us know if you have any problems or questions. Also let us know how you'd like to be credited on the Catalog page - name? url?
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Chip,

Boy, that was fun!

http://www.earthcallingdavid.com/librivox/fables_11_01_aesop.mp3
http://www.earthcallingdavid.com/librivox/fables_11_09_aesop.mp3

Please credit me as David Barnes
www.earthcallingdavid.com

I'd like to do some more, but please let me know first if these two are OK (in all regards, technical etc.)

Cheers,
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

They're great, David - it certainly sounds like you had fun with them. Thanks for taking the time to send in such wonderful recordings. Feel free to take more if you wish, or move on to the more challenging projects here at LibriVox!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
joemoab

Post by joemoab »

I would like to record :
11-12 THE MISER
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, Joe - The Miser is yours!

11-12 THE MISER <joemoab>
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
joemoab

Post by joemoab »

Here is a link to the finished fable The Miser
Recorded by Joe Clune, no URL

http://download.yousendit.com/5824EAF8748944A3

Any and all constructive criticism welcome, as this is just my second recording.

Thanks!
joemoab
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Got it Joe, and it sounds great! There's a lot of "room presence" in that recording; you can cut that down in future recordings by getting a bit closer to the mic. Best position of the mic is just to the side of your lips and nose, about an inch away.

But this one is excellent - thanks for taking the time to create it for us! Hope to hear your on other LibriVox projects soon too.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hi. I would like to try one of these to get my feet wet. Could you assign one to me that is still available. Also, I just got a logitech desk mike but it has a standard audio plug, not a USB. Is there likely to be a significant difference in quality sufficient that I will need to return it? It is noise reducing "skype approved." Thanks, Judy
DavidCoe

Post by DavidCoe »

Last edited by DavidCoe on April 11th, 2006, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akhenaten521

Post by Akhenaten521 »

Can I take "The Witch"?
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

jbieber wrote:Hi. I would like to try one of these to get my feet wet. Could you assign one to me that is still available.
Welcome to LibriVox, Judy! Why don't you take this one:

11-02 HERCULES AND MINERVA <jbieber>
jbieber wrote:Also, I just got a logitech desk mike but it has a standard audio plug, not a USB. Is there likely to be a significant difference in quality sufficient that I will need to return it? It is noise reducing "skype approved." Thanks, Judy
Though there may be a bit more noise with a mic that plugs into your sound card rather than into a USB port, it's not likely to be so bad as to keep us from using it. We generally only run into problems with that when the computer doesn't have a sound card at all but plugs directly into a sound module on the motherboard. The advantage to a USB mic is that it bypasses the sound system completely and provides a much cleaner sound. But use what you have; don't worry about getting a new one right off the bat.

Glad to have you with us, Judy - it's always nice to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Akhenaten521 wrote:Can I take "The Witch"?
Of course you may! How can I refuse anything to someone named after Amenhotep IV...? ;)

11-10 THE WITCH <Akhenaten521>
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
Robicus

Post by Robicus »

I would love to read a couple if you have any that remain unassigned. No preference on which ones.
Thanks!
Rob