My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
da2962

Post by da2962 »

Ruth, you can list me under my real name, Donald Finch http://www.dafinch.com
Thank you.

Don
seanmhogan

Post by seanmhogan »

Hi everyone. I've uploaded my first weekly poetry contribution: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/forgiveness_russell_smh.mp3, duration: 1:15.

Any and all feedback welcome!

Sean
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, Sean. I hope you become a regular. ;)
RebecWatts

Post by RebecWatts »

The URL for my submission is:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/forgiveness_russell_rsw.mp3
file duration: 1:15

Please list the catalog name as Rebecca Watts. I don't currently have a webpage.

Thanks for your help, Ruth!

Rebecca
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, Rebecca. Lucy will be along later to proof-listen - looks like she's had a busy week. :)

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Here's mine.

Upload URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/forgiveness_russell_rg.mp3
Duration: 1:30
Size: 1.37 MB

Ruth
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I'm back. Thanks so much for updating the MW and acknowledging people's submissions Ruth.

Sorry for the delay everyone, my partner and I decided to spend some quality time together in the evenings, and I ended up without any time to spend on the computer.

From the top:

da2962 - Very good reading, thank you. All of your technicals are correct, your speed is good and you speak very clearly and expressively.
You do 'clip' in a few places (The top of your waveform touches the top of the box) - which causes a slight distortion in your voice. This is caused by your volume being slightly too loud. You could place your head further away from the mic, or you could decrease the input volume in your software (In Audacity this is the slider with the picture of the mic next to it at the top right corner of the screen. Try playing with it until your waveforms are above the 0.5 line, but don't reach the 1 line at the top of the box.)
There is a slight tinny quality to your reading. Are you using noise-cleaning? If so you may prefer a lighter touch with it in future (and make sure you are using the superior quality noise-cleaning in Audacity 1.3, rather than the Donald Duck-ifier provided with Audacity 1.2)

TomCon - Heh, I've had the 'plugged into the wrong hole' problem before now. It is a pain, but at least it's easily fixed once you realise what you've done.
Thank you for your reading, it is very good. Expressive and a good speed.
You also 'clip' in a few places (see my advice for da2962) which is something to watch out for in future. Also you missed the spaces in your title ID3 Tag, but don't worry, Ruth can fix that up for you.

Bob Sherman - Thank you, lovely expressive reading. It was slightly on the quiet side, so I've amplified it and re-uploaded. Otherwise excellent job. If you'd like to amplify for yourself in future, (assuming you use Audcaity) select the entire recording using Ctrl+a, go to Effects in the toolbar and click Amplify... It is automatically set to amplify to the maximum amount possible without clipping. Don't check the box marked allow clipping, as clipping causes your voice to become distorted.

floydwilde - Thanks for the fix. For some reason, although I can see your ID3 tags in Audacity they don't show up in my MP3 player. I'll put a note in the Magic Window for Ruth and see what she thinks. It should be fine though, it's most likely my system being buggy.

Secrets - I'm glad you like the poem, thank miss stav for choosing it. A lovely expressive reading, thank you. I have extended the end silence to 5 seconds.

ezwa - Very expressive, thank you. I have amplified and re-uploaded your reading.

aradlaw - Nice reading, thank you.

Ernst Pattynama - Thank you for your nice reading. I have amplified it, and fractionally shortened the beginning and lengthened the end silences.

dduckett - A good reading, thank you. Good speed and expression. You do 'clip' in a few places, see my advice to da2962 on how to avoid this in future.
You have missed
This recording is in the public domain.
from the end of your recording. Could you add this and re-upload please. (Sorry for the slightly short notice, cataloguing will wait until you're done.)

seanmhogan - Good reading, thank you. I hope you join in the Weekly Poetry more often. Nice pacing, good volume and plenty of expression.

RebecWatts - Very nice reading, thank you. All your technical details were correct. Your speed was good and you put some feeling into your reading. Your voice is very pleasant.
Your recording did decrease in volume towards the end, so I've amplified it for you. But the volume at the beginning was just right, so you know what to aim for in future. And if you'd like to amplify your own recordings at any point, see my advice to Bob Sherman.

RuthieG - Thank you so much for your help (and understanding) this week. And thanks for your submission. As always a lovely and expressive recording.
So little space, so much to say.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

And here is my version, if some kind person could PL it for me:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/forgiveness_russell_lkp.mp3
(1:05)

Any comments or criticisms on my performance welcome.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Hiya Lucy.

There is one word: "no" instead of "not" at 00:18, but it doesn't change the meaning. I am nit-picking, 'cos I never find anything wrong with yours. :P

Ruth
Intemporaliter

Post by Intemporaliter »

Hi, I've recorded a poem of the week before, but this is a new computer setup, so please could I have some feedback on anything I need to change?

Thank you!

Sarah

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/forgiveness_russell_sva.mp3
A rose by any other name...
...Would still prick you with its thorns.
(J M Linsner - Dawn)

http://www.facebook.com/IntemporaliterPrimaeva
SJC

Post by SJC »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/forgiveness_russell_SJC.mp3

Here's my attempt :) Afraid I'm having a bit of trouble with mouth noises, even after drinking a full litre of water and eating something! :S

Hope it's ok for a first attempt at least, haven't read poetry out loud in public since my last feis (which is quite a while ago now!).
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Thanks Ruth. I think I'll leave it - I always find it hard to match my voice to replace lines - the change in an entire line of speech will be more noticeable than a misplaced 'tuh.'

Intemporaliter - Nice recording, thanks. All your technical details are correct and you read clearly, but your recording is very quiet. I've amplified it for you.
Aim to get waves in between 0.5 and 1 in Audacity.
You should check that your mic volume is at maximum both for your operating system, and in your recording software (In Audacity the top right slider with the picture of the mic next to it.) It's better to have a good volume to start with, rather than needing to amplify lots, as background noise gets amplified as well.
To amplify recordings yourself in future, assuming you use Audacity, select the entire recording (Ctrl+a), go to Effects in the toolbar and click Amplify... It is automatically set to amplify to the maximum amount possible without clipping. Don't check the box marked allow clipping, as clipping causes your voice to become distorted.
Also you get quieter as the recording progresses. Aim to keep at the same volume throughout, it makes amplifying far easier.
(If you need advice for a program other than Audacity just say so. It's the one I'm most familiar with, but I can find out about others for you.)

SJC - A good, expressive reading thank you. I can't hear any untoward mouth noises. Your speed and volume are good, there's no disruptive background noise and your voice is pleasant to listen to.
Your basic technical stuff is fine, however in future don't put capitals in filenames, Archive.org (where we put the finished projects) really doesn't like that.
Also you are missing your ID3 Tags - details for what you should use are in the first post of every project. (For this project they are:
Artist Name: George William Russell
Track Title: Forgiveness - Read by [YOUR INITIALS]
Album Title: LibriVox Weekly Poetry )
Don't worry though, Ruth can fix these things for you without having to re-upload the file.
To put you in the Magic Window I need to know what name you'd like for your catalogue name (this can be your forum name, your real name, or something else entirely) and if there is a url you want associated with this.
I look forward to hearing your future contributions.
ravenotation

Post by ravenotation »

Greetings and salutations,
Here's my weekly recording.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/forgiveness_russell_rn.mp3
1:17@1.18mb

ttfn,
raven
(Finally feeling a bit better even if I do still sound like a gruff billy-goat.)