COMPLETE: The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams - CL/kl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-velveteen-rabbit-by-margery-williams

The Velveteen Rabbit
or How Toys Become Real
by Margery Williams

I just had to do this one, even though I *hate* the ending, and especially though the perfect and wonderful part about what is real makes me snuffle and go on like a hopeless girl, every time I so much as glancingly think of it. :)

Yes, I went all choking and teary during recording, and during editing, and again during my proof listens. What can I say? If you poke me, sap squishes out my ears :D

Gutenberg Text

http://librivox.greenkri.com/marlodianne/the_velveteen_rabbit_williams.mp3
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
kri

Post by kri »

I'll be MCing this project for you Marlo :)

Would you like to write a description for this work? Also, will this need to be proof-listened?
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Don't sweat it, kri. I have it on good authority that even that crusty old ChipDoc gets a bit misty-eyed when he reads that book. Every year around Christmastime you can see Chip reading that book to a bunch of 1st or 2nd graders while tears run down his face.

I've now downloaded it and am looking forward to hearing your version. And just for the record, I like the ending.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Kri, I always proof listen my own recordings, twice, being a truly hopeless perfectionist and all. However, if anyone else wants to take a listen and bleat into a Kleenex, and tell me where I went wrong, they're all quite welcome. :)

And, how's this for a description:

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day...

Written in 1922, The Velveteen Rabbit, or, How Toys Become Real is the tale of a sweet unassuming toy rabbit who questions what it is to live and to love. It was the first children's title written by Margery Williams (1881 - 1944), who had previously created only for adults. This story eclipsed all others, to become her most famous work, and an ever adored classic for all ages.

"It was by a sort of accident that The Velveteen Rabbit became the beginning of all the stories I have written since?By thinking about toys and remembering toys, they suddenly become very much alive. Toys I had loved as a little girl--my almost forgotten Tubby, who was the rabbit, and Old Dobbin, the Skin Horse, and the toys my children had loved." -- Margery Williams
Marlo Dianne

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Aw, Chip :)

And while Kri may also--she had not expressly contradicted it-- weep like a silly wussy girl-thing, it was I who confessed to being an utter sook.

Nope, the ending bites, beyond bites. I'd say why, but I'd be commiting the ultimate wrong and spoiling. :P
Marlo Dianne

kri

Post by kri »

Oh I am for sure a sap when it comes to such things. However, I remember reading this as a child and thought it boring. I have a feeling I'll feel different as an adult.
kri

Post by kri »

Oh yeah, and great description. I'll skip the proof-listening since you've already done it ;) I'll try to get the cataloging process done in the next few days. It seems I have three projects at once that are going into the cataloging stage :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

*weep*
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Sigh.

I'm going to have to...gulp...reupload the file. I think it corrupted somewhere along the way. I thought it might be the transfer, but now it appears the mp3 itself is blank. Weirdest thing.

Anyhoo, I'm going back and reconverting now, and the upload itself will again take a few hours.

We are now experiencing technical difficulties. Your programming will continue. We appreciate...

Rabbit, you are unRealing my whole day! :P
Marlo Dianne

marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Update: The file is now up in lovely non-corrupted form. Unless my computer is again being tricksy.

Clearly, my computer is never going to become Real, and I assure you, it feels the same way about me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...
Marlo Dianne

marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

kri wrote:However, I remember reading this as a child and thought it boring. I have a feeling I'll feel different as an adult.
"Nothing is easier than to write a story for children; few things are harder, as any writer knows, than to achieve a story that children will really like."

--Margery Williams

I just had to share that. :) You provoked me. :lol:

Actually, I don't know that it's really a children's story at all. But then I resist
the idea of kid's books anyway.

At best, I think it's the sort of story that has levels, and the stuff that makes it most special you probably won't really get until you're older and you've got loose in the joints and your hair has been loved off...and...*sob*
Marlo Dianne

kri

Post by kri »

That's a great point Marlo.
kri

Post by kri »

Alright, I've got the cataloging process going. Will you check over the catalog page for me Marlo?

http://librivox.org/the-velveteen-rabbit-by-margery-williams/
kri

Post by kri »

I'm moving it to completed projects. Great job Marlo! :)
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Okay, Kri, a few little things with the catalogue entry.

- I think you need the italics on:

?What is REAL?? asked the Rabbit one day?

It denotes that I'm quoting the story.

- In the book title, the 'or' should also be italicised. The book doesn't have two separate titles; the complete title is the whole bit.

- There's a space missing before the summary bracket.

- And the file should be noted by the short familiar title of 'The Velveteen Rabbit', not 'chapter 1'. The book doesn't have chapters. :)
Marlo Dianne