COMPLETE - Journey... Interior... Earth, by J. Verne - AF/kr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Chapter 31

http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=099SFAXUGCB8G2JP1YIMRFVJID

Do they make some kind of sinushorn, like a shoehorn for your sinuses, so I can shape mine farther open while I'm sleeping?
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Weirdly enough, they do. I had nasal polyps removed just about a year ago. I never even really noticed them until they were removed - they had been coming on very gradually for years. But when they were removed it was absolutely amazing. I actually caught the flu three days after the surgery and didn't even realize it because I had SO much airflow through my sinuses. It was positively life-changing!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
justfoundjoy

Post by justfoundjoy »

I know this is an inconvenience and I apologize, but technical difficulties have precluded the option of my recording the chapters I claimed, so please release Chapters 39-41 to someone else who can complete the task. Thanks.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hehe ChipDoc, I meant it as a joke, but I'm not surprised. I've developed a bit of a snoring problem as I've gotten older, and I'm finding if I have even a slight coat of pleghm in my sinuses, I lose most of my upper cavity sound when working the mic. Kind of annoying.

On a side note, could someone prooflisten 30 and 31 for me? These are really my first attempts, and although I think I did a pretty good job with the recording quality, I need an adjudicator on the content and vocal quality. Thanks!
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey Mikey, I just did a quick listen to the first and last few minutes of #31 -- sounds EXCELLENT -- great recording/vocal quality, nice pacing, nice inflection! You've got nothing to worry about :)

Ha, I just noticed that I misspelled one of my id3 tags. Sorry Alex! I'll fix it before the Big Upload.

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

kayray wrote:Hey Mikey, I just did a quick listen to the first and last few minutes of #31 -- sounds EXCELLENT -- great recording/vocal quality, nice pacing, nice inflection! You've got nothing to worry about :)
Thanks, Kara, I'm glad they're working out.

After listening back to them, I caught myself doing a slight James Mason impersonation for Prof Leidenbrock. I remember loving that movie when I was younger. :lol:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Okay, I've done a test recording of Chapter 32, but I have a question.

Note the parenthetical text in the following:
Still my imagination carried me away amongst the wonderful
speculations of palaeontology. Though awake I fell into a dream. I
thought I could see floating on the surface of the waters enormous
chelonia, preadamite tortoises, resembling floating islands. Over the
dimly lighted strand there trod the huge mammals of the first ages of
the world, the leptotherium (slender beast), found in the caverns of
Brazil; the merycotherium (ruminating beast), found in the 'drift' of
iceclad Siberia. Farther on, the pachydermatous lophiodon (crested
toothed), a gigantic tapir, hides behind the rocks to dispute its
prey with the anoplotherium (unarmed beast), a strange creature,
which seemed a compound of horse, rhinoceros, camel, and
hippopotamus. The colossal mastodon (nipple-toothed) twists and
untwists his trunk, and brays and pounds with his huge tusks the
fragments of rock that cover the shore; whilst the megatherium (huge
beast), buttressed upon his enormous hinder paws, grubs in the soil,
awaking the sonorous echoes of the granite rocks with his tremendous
roarings. Higher up, the protopitheca - the first monkey that
appeared on the globe - is climbing up the steep ascents. Higher yet,
the pterodactyle (wing-fingered) darts in irregular zigzags to and
fro in the heavy air. In the uppermost regions of the air immense
birds, more powerful than the cassowary, and larger than the ostrich,
spread their vast breadth of wings and strike with their heads the
granite vault that bounds the sky.

All this fossil world rises to life again in my vivid imagination. I
return to the scriptural periods or ages of the world, conventionally
called 'days,' long before the appearance of man, when the unfinished
world was as yet unfitted for his support. Then mydream backed even
farther still into the ages before the creation of living beings. The
mammals disappear, then the birds vanish, then the reptiles of the
secondary period, and finally the fish, the crustaceans, molluscs,
and articulated beings. Then the zoophytes of the transition period
also return to nothing. I am the only living thing in the world: all
life is concentrated in my beating heart alone. There are no more
seasons; climates are no more; the heat of the globe continually
increases and neutralises that of the sun. Vegetation becomes
accelerated. I glide like a shade amongst arborescent ferns, treading
with unsteady feet the coloured marls and the particoloured clays; I
lean for support against the trunks of immense conifers; I lie in the
shade of sphenophylla (wedge-leaved), asterophylla (star-leaved), and
lycopods, a hundred feet high.
Many of the zoological names have a translation in parentheses, which I recorded as, for instance, "...the leptotherium, or slender beast..." and "...the petrodactyle, or wing-fingered...". I'm not sure whether I should have left those out, or read them differently.

Halp?
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

In general, this is left up to the individual reader to deal with as he or she thinks best. We credit you with being able to make sense of such things in your reading.

Somewhere around here there's quite a lively discussion of how to handle footnotes... Ahh, here it is!
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1035
and
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607

And here's another on a similar subject:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=976

You just do what seems best to you. One of the charming things about LibriVox is listening to different people handle these situations.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

ChipDoc wrote:In general, this is left up to the individual reader to deal with as he or she thinks best. We credit you with being able to make sense of such things in your reading.

You just do what seems best to you. One of the charming things about LibriVox is listening to different people handle these situations.
Well that's just it, I can't tell whether they qualify as footnotes, or translations, or what. I will go back over it again, see if the "or" solution works for me. If not, I can rerecord those sections fairly seamlessly.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Chapter 32 posted.

http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0LRXX96XYA4WU2Q6XJMZ1DEXDO

The pronunciation on some of those names was a little rough, but I think I pulled it off. And I did go ahead with my "or" method on the translations, and I think it works okay - not as awkward as I had anticipated. At about 9:12, those two long paragraphs start - if someone could prooflisten them for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
alexfoster

Post by alexfoster »

Mikey -- I bet the pronunciation was tough -- how many takes did it take you get through all that? I think you do an excellent job of a really tricky passage -- you make it sound almost like a wildlife documentary. A really pro job. I listened without the text in front of me (I think that's how most people will hear it) and it flowed naturally.

Folks -- we are so nearly done. There are three chapters near the end that justfoundjoy has had to relinquish, which I will do tonight and tomorrow, and the chapters that Bradbush has. Coff coff. No pressure, BB

Alex
[url]http://www.alexfoster.me.uk[/url]
Work in progress: [url=http://www.alexfoster.me.uk/podcasting]here[/url]
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

alexfoster wrote:Mikey -- I bet the pronunciation was tough -- how many takes did it take you get through all that? I think you do an excellent job of a really tricky passage -- you make it sound almost like a wildlife documentary. A really pro job. I listened without the text in front of me (I think that's how most people will hear it) and it flowed naturally.
Thanks! I did a test run for the whole chapter, then practiced that main passage two more times, getting the pronunciation right, and then my final recording had 3 edits, but I think I slalomed it pretty well - didn't hit many trees going down...

Funnily enough, the one I had to look up was "fuci", plural of "fucus". Never got pronunction of fuci in writing, but assumed it had a hard C like fucus.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Mikey wrote: Funnily enough, the one I had to look up was "fuci", plural of "fucus". Never got pronunction of fuci in writing, but assumed it had a hard C like fucus.
However you ended up pronouncing it, I doubt if anyone will quibble ;-)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

OK, work went crazy on me, and I had to work all day today. I just got home a bit ago. I will do my best to get mine done in the next few days.

Brad
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

Chapter 33 and 34 Complete.... Working on 35 (maybe finished tomorrow).

http://home.comcast.net/~bush.brad/librivox/journey_interior_earth_33_verne.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~bush.brad/librivox/journey_interior_earth_34_verne.mp3

Someone needs to get these two, and reply back (Kara?), as I have only 25MB and the next chapter will not be able to fit without removing this one.

(note I just edited this, as I thought only 33 would fit, and I reuploaded 33, as I had a minor mistake in the tags)

Thanks,

Brad
Last edited by BradBush on January 29th, 2006, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.