COMPLETE: [SCI-FI] The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster.

Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-machine-stops-by-em-forster/

Volunteers outside the USA: E.M. Forster died in 1970. His work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, or Canada/Australia (author's death plus 50 years).
Published in 1909, this science fiction short story takes place in a future where mankind, seemingly no longer able to survive on earth's surface, exists in a vast underground civilization known as "The Machine". Each individual lives isolated in a fully-automated cell-like room, connected to global information and communication systems, but cut off from all direct experience. The narrative focuses on Vashti, an "advanced" mother whose total dependence upon The Machine has led her (like most others) to increasingly reverence and even worship it; and her "untechnological" son, Kuno, who denies The Machine's omnipotence and even seeks to escape it if possible. Kuno's radical views are validated as the The Machine's systems begin to malfunction and eventually fail completely.

The story has proven to be far ahead of its time, with remarkably accurate predictions of modern technologies, and paints a chilling picture of over-dependence on them. This recording marks the 100th anniversary of the original publishing. (Summary by Jerome Lawsen)
  • Target completion date: March 30th, 2009
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://emforster.de/hypertext/template.php3?t=tms
  • Type of proof-listening required: Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Part [number] of The Machine Stops. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Machine Stops, by E.M. Forster. Part [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Part [number] of The Machine Stops. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Title, by Author. Part [number]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Part [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Title, by Author.

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    machinestops_01_forster.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 01 - The Air-Ship
    Artist: E.M. Forster
    Album: The Machine Stops
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: law - chocoholic
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Jerome on April 24th, 2009, 10:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2137][size=92]My Projects [/size][/url] | [size=92][color=gray] "You can beat a dead horse in the mouth, but you can't make him drink."[/color][/size]
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi there, Jerome, I'll MC this one for you. I'll have your MW set up later today or tonight. In the meantime, you can upload to my folder if you have files recorded.
Laurie Anne
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

I've got this mostly recorded already, but still need to do the editing, which for me is the time-consuming part.
I'll be posting files soon, and it shouldn't take long to finish since the story's pretty short.

On a side note, I figured now would be a good time to record the story, since 2009 marks 100 years since it was published.
Last edited by Jerome on March 1st, 2009, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2137][size=92]My Projects [/size][/url] | [size=92][color=gray] "You can beat a dead horse in the mouth, but you can't make him drink."[/color][/size]
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

:? Hmm.....

I accidentally posted the last message twice, so I edited this one to read as it does now.
Just for future reference, though, do you know of any way to delete an unitended post?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

OK, Jerome, you're all set! I'll move this over to Going Solo tomorrow.

Look up in the top righthand corner of your post -- next to the Edit button should be a little square with an X in it. That's the Delete button. I think that you can only delete your post if it's the last one in the thread, so you might not see it now that I've posted after you. I, however, have a Delete button on every post. [evil cackle]
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'm going to go ahead and move this to Solos in case I don't get a chance tomorrow. We lost power a little while ago (working off the generator now) and I might not have much computer time tomorrow if it doesn't come back on.
Laurie Anne
Buechermaus

Post by Buechermaus »

Hello,
can I be the d-pl for this?
Regards
Buechermaus
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Buechermaus! I've entered you as DPL (assuming this is OK with Jerome :)).
Laurie Anne
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

That's fine with me. :thumbs:

(BTW, I guess my last post sounded kinda dumb, but for some reason I only saw
the edit and quote buttons, no "X" box, maybe the system hiccuped or something.)
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

Actually, there isn't one on my last post either, wonder why that is. :?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Jerome wrote:Actually, there isn't one on my last post either, wonder why that is. :?
Now that's odd. There ought to be a delete button on your post if it is the last one in the thread. So there won't be one there now, but there should have been one before I posted this response.
Laurie Anne
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

Hey there,

Just posting to let you know It'll be a just a little while until I can get anything uploaded.
I got a cold like the day after my last post, and my voice is really messed up right now. :(

I've got the story mostly recorded, but I need to re-record some little parts, and I can't
do it right now. I should probably be able to finish in a couple weeks, though.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks for the update, Jerome! Hope you feel better soon!
Laurie Anne
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

Finally got some chapters posted.

Took longer than I planned, partially because my cold hung around longer
than I thought it would, but that's 2/3 done, and part 3 will be up real quick.
Buechermaus

Post by Buechermaus »

Hi,
here are my notes for section 1:
05:58: Repetition: "just as the imponderable bloom of the grape..."
Buechermaus