[Complete] The Brothers Karamazov by F. Dostoyevsky - ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
raynr

Post by raynr »

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-brothers-karamazov-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky/

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky. Translated by Constance Garnett.

This was begun as a solo project by the wonderful Sarah Bean. However, as she is not able to finish this book, we will continue as a group project

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
The Brothers Karamazov (Russian: Братья Карамазовы) is the final novel by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky, and is generally considered the culmination of his life's work. The book portrays a parricide in which each of the murdered man's sons share a varying degree of complicity. On a deeper level, it is a spiritual drama of moral struggles concerning faith, doubt, reason, free will and modern Russia. Since its publication, it has been acclaimed all over the world by thinkers as diverse as Sigmund Freud and Albert Einstein as one of the supreme achievements in world literature.
(Summary from Wikipedia)

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 1 August 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: Link (please only read from the texts linked in the Magic Window, NOT this text!)
    Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/28054
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: [BC please fill in]

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you follow the text provided in the link to your section, reading all the text (including the chapter markings in the beginning and end) up to the dividing line in the end.

The document also includes [(in brackets]] the place to include your own name or pseudonym if you want to.

Note: Usually, we write here what to say at the beginning of the chapter. As this is rather complicated here (The book is divided in Parts, books and sections), everything is provided in the text links in the Magic Window for each chapter.

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Advice on pronunciations:

ChipDoc wrote:
    Here's a trick I've used to deal with unfamiliar pronounciations: Say it in whatever way seems best to you, but say it WITH AUTHORITY. If you sound like you know what you're talking about, most folks will believe you. Even if you're dead wrong, most folks who know the right way to pronounce a word will pause and consider if possibly YOU are right if you speak the word with easy conviction.

If in doubt, you can always check the recordings in the beginning for reference, or ask me. I'll help to the best of my ability. :D

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3 files
    brotherskaramazov_##_dostoyevsky.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. brotherskaramazov_12_dostoyevsky.mp3 ). The exact name can be found from the end of the document with the text of your section.

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    The exact ID3 tags of your recording can be found from the end of the document with the text of your section (how to add the tags depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). The easiest way to be sure is to copy and paste, but if you write the tags, please mind upper and lower case!

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ry - raynr
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by raynr on February 4th, 2010, 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
raynr

Post by raynr »

I admit, I posted a lot of projects today. But my excuse that none of them are really new. "Confessions by St Augustine" and "The Brothers Karamazov" used to be solo projects which were abandoned and I was often asked to convert them into group projects. "War and Peace XI" is the successor of Book 10 which is fully subscribed and the German poetry collection 004 was posted as the third collection is full.
However, I hope everyone will contribute to these projects, as they are all very attractive (at least I hope so :wink:)
Thanks to all volunteers!

Rainer
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

Hallo Rayner:

Could I please claim Section 4..

Thank you!

Good luck with the project!

Ernst
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Ernst,

you obviously like Russian literature. Me too! :D
Thanks for offering your help, you are marked down for section 4. I have the feeling that this will be a long time project, but step by step we will complete it.
And I'll move it to "Readers Wanted" now.

Greetings,
Rainer
excessory

Post by excessory »

I'll volunteer to read Book 3, Chapter 5
Kara
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello excessory,

welcome to LibriVox and thanks for volunteering! I marked you down for section 18 (Book 3, Chapter 5). I hope you have fun with recording.
To make sure that you understand how it all works around here, I can give you the tip to carefully read the first post .
Furthermore, here are some tips for new volunteers. It explains how to record and all the other processes here
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
However, if you have any more questions, just ask.
Just one more question from my side: how you want to appear in the catalogue? This can be either your forum name, a pseudonym or your real name (just as you like it).

Greetings, :D

Rainer
philippabrodie

Post by philippabrodie »

May I do Section 25 please? I'll try and do some more but I think my eyes are bigger than my schedule :D
http://laspecola.blogspot.com

"Be quiet unhappy man,
and consider that
pleasure pulled you
out of nothingness."
- Diderot and D’Alembert’s Encyclopedie
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello philippabrodie,

section 25 (Part II, Book 4, Chapter 1) is yours. Thanks for volunteering! :D And please make sure that you read from the text link in the magic window, the rather complicated intro is provided for you there.

Greetings,
Rainer
Ted

Post by Ted »

Hello Raynr

Can I have Section 27 - Book 4, Chapter 3 - A Meeting with the Schoolboys, please? Thanks for taking me in.
Ted Nugent
undergrad9yrs2day

Post by undergrad9yrs2day »

May I complete the following portions?

26 26 - Book 4, Chapter 2 - At His Father's Link to text. 2011 words ~ 15 minutes available
27 27 - Book 4, Chapter 3 - A Meeting with the Schoolboys Link to text. 1881 words ~ 10 minutes available

Thank you,
J. Colburn
raynr

Post by raynr »

@ Ted

Hello Ted, Section 27 (Book 4, Chapter 3) is yours. Thank you for volunteering! :D

@undergrad9yrs2day

Hello J. Colburn, welcome to LibriVox and thank you for your offer to volunteer. And I'm sorry that I already have to disappoint you a little bit. I'm happy to give you section 26, but if you look one post above, you will see that Ted already wanted to record section 27. Can I tempt you with section 28 instead?
In any case: I marked you down for sections 26 and 28 (book 4, chapters 2 and 4) for now. But if you want another chapter, just tell me.
Apart from that, I want to give you some tips for new volunteers. You will find them here:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
But if you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask.
And a last topic: how you want to appear in the catalogue?

Greetings, :D

Rainer
Jc

Post by Jc »

May I claim the entire Book 12?
(Sections 80-93)
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
philippabrodie

Post by philippabrodie »

http://laspecola.blogspot.com

"Be quiet unhappy man,
and consider that
pleasure pulled you
out of nothingness."
- Diderot and D’Alembert’s Encyclopedie
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Jc,
at the first glance I thought you wanted to read the whole project. :D
But I am happy with book 12, too (for a start... :wink:). Sections 80-93 are yours. Thank you!

philippabrodie,
thanks for section 25! I don't have to ask you to read another chapter for me, as you already volunteered for two sections in "War and Peace". But perhaps after that?

Greetings,
Rainer :D
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Could I do sections 20 and 45?

Pattymarie