~The Wealth of Nations, Bk 4 by Adam Smith - ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Esky

Post by Esky »

This project is complete. All associated files can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-wealth-of-nations-book-4-by-adam-smith/

The Wealth of Nations, Book 4 by Adam Smith.

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations is the magnum opus of the Scottish economist Adam Smith, published on March 9, 1776 during the Scottish Enlightenment. It is a clearly written account of political economy at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, and is widely considered to be the first modern work in the field of economics. (from Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: Dec. 31, 2009
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3300
  • Type of proof-listening required: Standard Proof-listening
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter ## of The Wealth of Nations, Book 4. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Stephen Escalera"
    • Say:
      "The Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith. Chapter ##, Chapter Title"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter ## of The Wealth of Nations, Book 4. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Stephen Escalera"
    • Say:
      " The Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith. Chapter ##, Chapter Title"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter ##"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Book 4 – Of Systems of Political Economy – of The Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    wealthofnations04_##_smith.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 01 - [Section title]
    Artist: Adam Smith
    Album: The Wealth of Nations, Book 4
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Esky on November 23rd, 2009, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esky

Post by Esky »

Thanks to kmerline for once again volunteering to be the dedicated proof listener!
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'll MC. Back shortly with the MW.
Karen S.
Esky

Post by Esky »

I have a question regarding the intro/title to each section. Several of the chapters are rather lengthy and will be split into several different sections. How should these sections be introduced/titled? Usually, I would simply say something like "Part 1 of Chapter 5" (or "Chapter 5, part 1", etc). However, the difficulty I'm having is that there is one chapter (Ch.7) that is quite long and actually has Part 1, 2, and 3 in it, each of them taking at least two sections. Should I say "Chapter 7, Part 1 continued" etc when introducing it? And how would this work for bit at the end of the recording? Saying "End of Chapter 7, Part 1 continued" doesn't sound quite right.

This will probably make more sense once I get the MW filled out so it is easier to see what I mean.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Stephen
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Maybe if you refer to the parts as A, B, C and so forth. Then when you come to chapter 7, you can do "chapter 7, part 1 A".
Karen S.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi Esky - It just occurred to me to wonder where this was - I must have missed it in the launch pad. Glad I haven't gotten behind! I've got it on my radar now.
Esky

Post by Esky »

Section 01 is uploaded and ready for proofing.

Just as an FYI, I'd like to wait until each section has been proofed before marking it as complete. Thanks!

Stephen
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Just downloaded the first section. I'll be glad to mark them after they're OK!
dhrupadfan

Post by dhrupadfan »

Hi :) ,

I am new to volunteering. I started reading some of the Guides on the Wiki page but i guess i have to just get started somewhere. If you do not mind, then i would like to listen to chapters of this book. Is this Ok?

I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know what you would like me to do - point pauses, constructive criticisms etc?

Regards,
Kartik
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Hi Kartik. Welcome to LibriVox!

I'm afraid this project has a Dedicated Proof-Listener, who has agreed to check all the sections of the project (projects that have a DPL will have a "this project has a dedicated proof-listener" comment near the top of the Magic Window).

You can also find projects that don't have a DPL by looking at this table. Look for 'no's in the far right column.
Karen S.
Esky

Post by Esky »

Section 02 is uploaded and ready for proofing.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Sec 1 and 2 are just fine, Esky!
Esky

Post by Esky »

Just wanted to check in to say that I'm still alive. Had another round of the sickness crud make its way through my family. Am hoping to have section 3 finished and uploaded soon.

Thanks!
Stephen
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Nice to hear from you Stephen! Thank you for checking in, and get well soon!
Esky

Post by Esky »

Section 03 uploaded and ready for proofing.