COMPLETED: [MYSTERY] Armadale, by Wilkie Collins - kb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Armadale, by Wilkie Collins

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/armadale-by-wilkie-collins/
The novel has a convoluted plot about two distant cousins both named Allan Armadale. The father of one had murdered the father of the other (the two fathers are also named Allan Armadale). The story starts with a deathbed confession by the murderer in the form of a letter to be given to his baby son when he grows up. Many years are skipped over. The son, mistreated at home, runs away from his mother and stepfather, and takes up a wandering life under the assumed name of Ozias Midwinter. (Summary from wikipedia).
  • 1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here[/b]
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply"
    at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please).
    Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.

2. New to recording?[/b]
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project:– October 2009 but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.

4. Where do I find the text?[/b]
    Source text
    http:// http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1895
    (please only read from this text!)

5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the
    LibriVox
    catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    [/b]

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard proof listening please.
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?
    Armadale is pronounsed ARM-a-dale

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

6. BEFORE recording:[/b]
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

7. DURING recording:[/b]
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • ""book (number) Chapter (number] of [armadale]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public
      domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Armadale, b y Wilkie Collins". [Translated by [translator]]. [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of armadale, by Wilkie Collins. [Translated by [translator]]."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

8. AFTER recording:[/b]
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version
    1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this
    LibriVox
    wiki page
    for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    armadale_##_collins.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. (armadale_01_collins.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please
    mind upper and lower case!

Title - [Section title]
    Artist: Wilkie Collins
    Album: Armadale

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the
      LibriVox
      Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kb - kikisaulite
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How
      To Send Your Recording wiki page

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
:)
Last edited by miss stav on May 10th, 2009, 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
capnallegra

Post by capnallegra »

Oooh good choice. I really look forward to this one.
"I am not so much interested in predicting the future as I am in creating it."
- Rob Brezsny
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you, capnallegra. Would you like to read section/s from this book? We'll sign you up as soon as we'll have a magic window.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
capnallegra

Post by capnallegra »

I would. I've got some outstanding projects I should do first, but I'd love to be a part of this.
"I am not so much interested in predicting the future as I am in creating it."
- Rob Brezsny
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi Stav!

Leaping straight in... Could I have Chapter 3 of Book 1 - 'The Wreck of the Timber Ship' - ? It's probably more than one section, as it's 30 pages in my book. (In fact, if it wouldn't be horribly greedy, I'd like to do all 3 chapters of Book 1. Chapters 1 and 2 are very short. But I'll understand if you think that's asking too much).

David
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

earthcalling wrote:Hi Stav!

Leaping straight in... Could I have Chapter 3 of Book 1 - 'The Wreck of the Timber Ship' - ? It's probably more than one section, as it's 30 pages in my book. (In fact, if it wouldn't be horribly greedy, I'd like to do all 3 chapters of Book 1. Chapters 1 and 2 are very short. But I'll understand if you think that's asking too much).
I expect we'll get the MW shortly, but in the meantime as I am just sitting here avoiding work, chapter 3 of book 1 seems to be about 6631 words and is just one section. The other chapters of book 1 are broken up though.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

The MW is now up and functioning. I have entered chapter titles and word counts for first eight chapters. I do not have more time right now, but I will enter the rest later if Erin will not get ahead of me.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

bublsort wrote:
earthcalling wrote:Hi Stav!

I expect we'll get the MW shortly, but in the meantime as I am just sitting here avoiding work, chapter 3 of book 1 seems to be about 6631 words and is just one section. The other chapters of book 1 are broken up though.
My error - I meant the Prologue, not Book 1.

Could I therefore have sections 1-5?

David
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

Kikisaulite wrote:The MW is now up and functioning. I have entered chapter titles and word counts for first eight chapters. I do not have more time right now, but I will enter the rest later if Erin will not get ahead of me.
oh I'll do that, don't worry about it! that's my only job.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi David,
I am so happy to see you here. I'll give you sections 1-5 (that is all the prolog). I have splited chapter 3 into 3 sections, in order to make them readable. Of course, I am giving you all 3 (as I wrote before).
Stav.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you, Kristin and Erin. You are doing a grate job.
HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas »

Stav,

Would you like a DPL for this? If so, sign me up!

Susan
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

If things go well, Susan, you might have something to listen to this evening.... :D

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Chapter 1 of the Prologue is uploaded and entered in the Magic Window.

We're off!

David
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Susan,
I would love to work with you again. I guess Kristin will enter you to the magic window soon! Thank you.
Stav.