COMPLETED: [MYSTERY] Armadale, by Wilkie Collins - kb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
valli017

Post by valli017 »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Valli,
thank you for the recording. Tell me if/when you want more chapters.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi miss stav

Please find section 23 under http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/armadale_23_collins.mp3
Duration 31:26, size 28.8 MB. I edited a lot on it but I could not get rid of the buzzing sound (I did buy a nice microphone, but it did not help much).
regards
Nadine
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

Hi Nadine,

At first I had a very hard time hearing the hum, and I don't think most people would hear it if they weren't listening for it. But because I'm bored today, I fooled around with the EQ a bit, and it sounds to me like you can reduce it by basically cutting off all frequencies below 100, and decreasing the frequencies on a slope up to 200 hz. (as in the below picture)

I uploaded a version, so if you're curious maybe see what you think. On one of my sets of headphones it sounds better, but on the other it doesn't make that much difference. There's still a little buzz but I didn't try to take that out because it is in the same frequency range as your voice.

But I don't mean to say that your recording is not good enough, because it is just fine, and your voice is very nice! I updated the MW with your original recording.

Erin

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/armadale_23_collins_erinEQ.mp3

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Nadine, thank you for section 23.
Erin, thank you for the great help.
Stav.   
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi Erin

Thanks for the nice advice. I have a Mac and I am using garageband (for the first time) so I guess I have t o figure it out. But it is good that the hum is not that obvious on the recording. :)

Miss stav, my pleasure, this is actually a lot of fun. :mrgreen:

Have a nice weekend everyone!
Nadine
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

You know what's funny, it's turns out there's an Armadale Avenue in my neighborhood. I drove past it earlier today.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Los+Angeles&state=CA&address=York+Blvd+%26+Armadale+Ave&zipcode=90042&country=US&latitude=34.12246&longitude=-118.21205&geocode=INTERSECTION
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hello miss stav

Section 24 is uploaded: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/armadale_24_collins.mp3
Duration 40:36, size 37.2 MB.

Nadine :P
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello Nadine,
thank you very much for section 24. I hope you enjoyed recording it. Would you like to read section 27 after you finish with section 25? Would you like to choose another section (or more) to read?
Stav.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I take your suggestion as a huge compliment telling me that my English is understandable enough :)
Sign me up for section 27, thank you :lol:
Nadine
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Nadine,  
your english is great, but the recording is a little on the soft side. Please make sure that your next recordings would be a little louder. Section 27 is all yours. Thank you for taking it.
Stav.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Sorry, that's probably because I still feel a bit silly at reading out loud when the kids are sleeping. :oops: I'll take the mic closer.

:idea:
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Sorry, a question: I already recorded about half of section 25, should I redo it with a higher level?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Nadine,  
if what you have already done is long (I'd say more than 15 minits) don't bother to redo it. However, please record the second half of the section in the same volume. A change in the volume in the midle of a section is not very good. But maybe Susan (our dpl) Erin (the co-bc) or Kristin (the mc) think otherwise and would give you a better advice.
Stav.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

That's OK, I'll redo it. Thanks for the section 27.
Goodnight :9: