Collaborative Project: Please read this post carefully if you would like to read a chapter (or more) of
Villette by Charlotte Bronte.
This is a wonderful classic (and a personal favorite of mine) by Charlotte Bronte!
Plot summary: After a tragedy in her family, Lucy Snow leaves her home to become a teacher at a French boarding school. But soon her "struggle for independence is overshadowed by both her freindship with a worldly English doctor and her feelings for an autocratic schoolmaster" (summarized from The Literature Network, http://www.online-literature.com/brontec/villette/").
- How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below. All the ones without names beside them are ?up for grabs.? Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you?d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
Note: Some of the chapters in this book contain some from French in varying degrees. If you don't speak French (like myself), please review your chapter(s) before claiming them to make sure you're comfortable with them. You're also welcome to make a post in this thread if there are words you need help pronouncing-- I'll make sure you get the help you need. The early consensus was to pronounce the title, "Villette" as VEE-yet; however, our French experts , say that "Vil-ette" is more correct. I'll take chapters either way you'd like at this point.
- New to recording?
Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Is there a deadline?
Target completion date of this project: October 31, 2006, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it?ll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we?re all volunteers and things happen.
- Where do I find the text?
Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/7vill10.txt
- Please claim chapters (the blue numbers)!
Reader list last updated: December 21, 2006 -- 7:29 PM, MST
Chapters claimed: 42 of 42 (100%)
Chapters done: 42 of 42 (100%)
* Please note: I've indicated the chapter number in roman numerals for your convenience only-- please use standard numbering whenever referencing your chapter(s).
- BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
1. 44.1KHz is the default sample rate in lots of software. We like getting files at this rate.
2. Some know-it-all told us that 32KHz sounds better. If you know how, try to use this rate.
3. We want to make this easy, so we'll take any rate from 22 to 44.1KHz, if you need us to.
4. Please don't use 48KHz or anything under 22KHz. If you accidentally send us something at these rates, our uploaders will resample it for you and advise you on how to record at a sample rate we can use. Don't worry, your work will never be wasted!
- DURING recording:
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
- "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
- If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
"Villette, by Charlotte Bronte. Chapter [Chapter Number, Chapter Name]"
End of recording
- At the end of the section, say:
?End of Chapter [Chapter Number]"
- At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Villette, by Charlotte Bronte."
Please include the following amount of silence at the end of your recording: 5s for recordings under 30 mins, 10s if more than 30 mins.
Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording:
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
villette_##_bronte.mp3 , all lower-case, where ## is your chapter number.
ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use ? if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
Title: [Chapter number - Title]
Artist: Charlotte Bronte
Comment: (If you want) Recorded by [your name]
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or emailed via http://yousendit.com to: email@example.com (if you use yousendit, please post the resulting link in this thread)
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
- Your name and URL added to this page: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ListOfReadersCatalogNames If you're not sure how to do this, ask and we'll gladly help
- the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Please post below or PM me.