[COMPLETE] Two Years Before the Mast by R.H. Dana - jc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

It is not opening for me :? and the file links are broken. I'll try deleting cache and stuff. Thanks!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Alright! I was able to open JC folder! Not sure why it was hiding from me before.
However, there is no file for Section 42 although there is a link in the MW. (At least, I'm not seeing any, if I can still trust my eyes :mrgreen: )
Beth Anne, have you recorded Section 42 (Chapter 35)?
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

I'll check. I'm going to be slammed until Dec. 10th, then I can come back and finish, or assess and beg for someone else to help me finish.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

Oh, and sorry about not posting. I thought that might have been the case, but instead of posting on the forum, I posted in my mind.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I should like to point out that

TEN Years Later by Alexandre Dumas has just been catalogued in just over ONE year.

TWO Years before the Mast is still going on after FOUR years.

Is there some weird counter-intuitive mathematical formula going on here? :lol: :lol:

And you are so very nearly done, catchpenny! ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
KeithThomas

Post by KeithThomas »

Hi, many thanks for doing this. I've sample listened and can tell I'm going to enjoy your reading. I was reading it myself but lost my book at about chapter 39. Can you tell me if there is someway to download all the MP3 files, as there is with most books on Librivox, so I can put it on my ipod?

Thanks again,
Keith
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Keith - you need to wait until the project is done before downloading all the files. We have this rule for various reasons. I know the wait is hard, but consider it an exercise in patience. :wink:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

Ruth, yes, that is pathetic. Thank you for your gentle nudge. I could list excuses here, but that would take away recording time. I will work on this, but maybe instead of saying I will get it all done, I will say I will get 1 chapter done, and so on till it's all done. The file that I so rudely forgot to upload is now uploaded, but I didn't know what to do with it since there isn't the original MC. I gifted it to Tricia. The link is here. http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/twoyearsbeforethemast_42_dana.mp3 Is this still needed?

Ok, for all to see, I will read The conclusion this weekend. The editing is what sticks me, but I will start! (ok, feel free to call me on this if I don't do it.)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

*Downloading to PL section 42*
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The recording is PL OK!
Now as to keep the MW links updated, will the file be moved to jc folder, or should we change the link in MW?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll move it to the Jc folder. Since it's still in the uploader, you can continue to use it. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

I've recorded the last two sections and edited, I just need to say the right thing to end the book.
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

I've the very last section done.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jc/twoyearsbeforethemast_48_dana.mp3

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jc/twoyearsbeforethemast_47_dana.mp3

I couldn't get into the magic window, so their times are respectively:
section47 23:56
section48 26:10

I spent a lot less time editing, because I'm so far behind schedule I figured what I got is better than nothing. Also, I suspect I'm a bit anal about it and no one cares but me. Thanks for sticking by me.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Beth Anne!

I spotted a few missed edits in these two:

Section 47
~04:33 stumble "but which yet by possibility may occur"
10:31-10:38 repetition "There can be no rule of law regulating the weight to be given to seamen's evidence."

Section 48
it starts with a 5-second silence; could be shortened to 0,5 - 1 second.
06:32-06:55 repetition "As to the appeal made in the captain's behalf on the ground of his being poor and having persons depending upon his labor for support, the main and fatal objection to it is, that it will cover every case of the kind, and exempt nearly the whole body of masters and officers from the punishment the law has provided for them."
23:04 short rep. "for those of whom-- for those of them"
The disclaimer is again added in the end, but I don't think it's needed since it's in the beginning also.

BUT, this concluding chapter is not included in the gutenberg link provided as text source. Let us know where you read from to make sure it's PD, and if you need the text source link changed.

Sections 40 and 43 spot-checked OK!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Rapunzelina wrote:BUT, this concluding chapter is not included in the gutenberg link provided as text source. Let us know where you read from to make sure it's PD, and if you need the text source link changed.
There are two versions of this book on Gutenberg. I think this one has the concluding chapter:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2055

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding