[COMPLETE]Scott's Last Expedition Vol. I - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Illiterati

Post by Illiterati »

Scott's Last Expedition Volume I, the Journals of Robert Falcon Scott (d1912), arranged by Leonard Huxley (d1933)..
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-journals-of-robert-falcon-scott-vol-1-by-robert-falcon-scott/
Capt. Robert F. Scott's bid to be the leader of the first expedition to reach the South Pole is one of the most famous journeys of all time. What started as a scientific expedition turned out to be an unwilling race against a team lead by R. Admunsen to reach the Pole. The Norwegian flag already stood at the end of the trail when Scott's party reached their target. All the five men of the Scott expedition who took part in the last march to the Pole perished on their way back to safety.

Robert F. Scott kept a journal throughout the journey, all the way to the tragic end, documenting all aspects of the expedition. The famous last words of the journal were: 'It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. For God's sake look after our people.' (Summary by Illiterati)

Link to Scott on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Falcon_Scott
  • Target completion August 26, 2009
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/11579
  • Type of proof-listening required: Standard.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will read the text from the documents linked in the Magic Window, including the Librivox disclaimer and chapter notes.
  • Example filename 
expeditionvol1_##_scott.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - Chapter ##, Chapter Title, Part N:o
eg. 26 - Chapter XII, Awaiting the Crozier Party, Part Three
    Artist: Robert Falcon Scott

Album: Scott's Last Expedition Volume I, the Journals of Robert Falcon Scott arranged by Leonard Huxley

• Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. 
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): 
http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin) 

You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Illiterati on November 26th, 2008, 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Illiterati

Post by Illiterati »

Setting this up for the reader fourgrays.

Kmerline has approved to MC.

PL most welcome.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Illiterati knows he can only BC two books. He has done the prep work on this book, though, and fourgrays wishes to solo it. Illiterati will have access to the window so he can post titles and file links.

After that, I'll MC this as a solo as per usual.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi fourgrays - I'm Karen Merline, your Meta Coordinator.

Illiterati is going to post titles and read file links in the magic window, so all you really need to do is click the link to the read files, record it, upload and post to the thread the same as for the collaborative projects you have contributed to.

If you would like access to edit the window yourself to post links up there and mark the chapters you have read "complete", you need login details - I'll send them to you via private message.

If you need help or have any questions, either post in this thread or pm me. :)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Sometime tomorrow, I'll be transferring this thread to "Going Solo".
fourgrays

Post by fourgrays »

Thank you everyone for you work on this project so far. Now it is my turn to do work.
Illiterati

Post by Illiterati »

Hi fourgrays!

I have pasted in all the glossary words in the places they appear for the first time. I have pasted in all the footnotes and appendix notes in corresponding locations.

The only thing I was a bit hesitant about was the list of members of the party; I have now included it as a part of the preface after the original preface.

For reading the tables and lists still in the docs I think this is very useful: http://www.archive.org/stream/scottslastexpedi01scotuoft
Some of the tables are pretty obscure even in the Gutenberg text, but clear in the archive.org scan.

Couple of more links of use;

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16259
(Though there is a very slight mistake in the first example)

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16558
The first post is ok, I think. :D

Good luck,
I
Last edited by Illiterati on November 27th, 2008, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I just noticed ch 42 is 7700 words! You may want to split it so it is more in line with the other chapters. Your MC can add another section in the magic box if you decide to do that.

I would name them

42-1 - Chapter XX, The Last March, Part One

42-2 - Chapter XX, The Last March, Part One

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Illiterati

Post by Illiterati »

Yes... it is rather long. :oops:

I can split it and just extend the chapters up to 44. It means renaming only three chapters.

Would you give us another chapter, Karen?

I
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

You betcha! And thanks, Esther, for catching this.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Are you still in need of a PLer? I'd like to listen to this one.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Illiterati

Post by Illiterati »

Ok, corrected now.

Some chapters are still quite long, but I thought it ok for a solo; this is because the book is a journal. I wanted to split it on dates, rather than in the middle of notes for one day.

Thank you, Esther, and thank you for the reading guidance on the location terms as well. I asked them for this book. I never came back to thank you for them in that thread...

Will be heading off now. I am very pleased to hear this once it is in the catalogue. Who knows, maybe on some minor expedition of my own. :D

I think the PL position is still open, Kikisaulite.
fourgrays

Post by fourgrays »

Just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about this. It is just getting a little crazy around here for the holiday's. I will be starting it hot and heavy after the first of the year.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you, fourgrays, for checking in. :) Have a happy holiday!
fourgrays

Post by fourgrays »

Finished recording section 00. Here is the link to the file http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/expeditionvol1_00_scott.mp3. Let me know if I need to change anything.