COMPLETE: Moll Flanders, by Daniel Defoe - AF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kri

Post by kri »

DSayers wrote:A case of the blind leading the blind. I do know that on US keyboards without the formal Pound sign, # is used as a substitute for "pound," for obvious reasons.

But it was my high school English teacher who mislead me when she said a pound equals a guinea.

I defer to someone raised in England, for sure. In that case, # = pound.

-Denny
Great, because I REALLY don't want to re-record it :)
nocturna

Post by nocturna »

Here is my completed Section 4.

http://www.wraycodesign.com/moll_flanders_section_4_defoe.mp3

Let me know if there are any problems, etc.

Nocturna
Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop. — H.L. Mencken
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Here's Section 8

http://ChipDoc.com/LibriVox/mollflanders_08_defoe.mp3
38.7Mb/42:17
Chip - http://ChipDoc.com/

Hmmm... puts the term "in a family way" in a whole new light... ;)
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

ChipDoc wrote:Here's Section 8

Hmmm... puts the term "in a family way" in a whole new light... ;)
Yes ... not for the faint of heart.

Thanks for doing a great job reading, both for MOLL and also on your chapters over in FANNY HILL!

-Denny
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

Denny,

I would like to record section 11 - I was now a single person again ?

Thanks,
Nikolle
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

ndoo wrote:I would like to record section 11 - I was now a single person again ?
Super, Nikolle ... I've signed you up.

It's exciting to have a new reader on this project!

-Denny
Last edited by DSayers on April 21st, 2006, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

Here's the link for section 11.
http://vo.nikolledoolin.com/audio/mollflanders_11_defoe.mp3

*New link updated April 22.

Section 11
mollflanders_11_defoe.mp3
Size: 25.2 MB
Time: 0:27:33

Recorded by:
Nikolle Doolin
www.nikolledoolin.com

Best,
Nikolle
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

NDoo: What a marvelous job you have done reading! But then you are a professional. You SO assumed the character of Moll! Yum.

I listened all the way through, and found nothing *at all* to complain about ... quite the contrary!

Please, please consider another section. And if not for the time being, convince someone as talented as yourself TO READ! LibriVox is a fine place for new talent to cut their teeth, and a home for seasoned readers like yourself, too.

-Denny Mike
Last edited by DSayers on April 24th, 2006, 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

Denny,

Thank you for your wonderful compliment. I really enjoy voice-over performance; and I especially like doing works that I may not have a chance to do otherwise (very few do, in fact). It?s great that Librivox has provided this forum.

I?ve always gotten a kick out of Moll, so I was glad to read. I have begun a solo project reading Henry James? The Turn of the Screw, but you have tempted me to read more of Moll?not difficult to do. So, sign me up for sections 12 and 13. It?s too much fun to pass up.

Best,
Nikolle
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

ndoo wrote:I?ve always gotten a kick out of Moll, so I was glad to read. I have begun a solo project reading Henry James? The Turn of the Screw, but you have tempted me to read more of Moll?not difficult to do. So, sign me up for sections 12 and 13. It?s too much fun to pass up.

Best,
Nikolle
I'm so glad to hear that. MOLL here was moribund for more than a month till you came along, which I found surprising since it is such an engaging character and really shows off Defoe's incredible skill with the telling detail.

My next solo project is going to be JOURNAL OF THE PLAGUE YEAR after I finish Rousseau's ?MILE. Defoe is one of the most underappreciated of writers in English, I suspect.

But back to James ... don't you think DAISY MILLER would be a fun read? I think it's a masterful short piece. Curiously, it reminds me of Polanswki's ROSEMARY'S BABY...

-Denny
chrissthegirl
Location: Southern Peninsula of The Frozen North (Toronto, Canada)

Post by chrissthegirl »

Hi there -- if you still need someone for chapter 18, I'd be happy to do it!
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

MOLL here was moribund for more than a month till you came along, which I found surprising since it is such an engaging character and really shows off Defoe's incredible skill with the telling detail.
I am surprised more people haven't signed up. Moll is engaging and has been produced on film more than once. I especially enjoyed a version on Masterpiece Theatre with the new James Bond Daniel Craig and Alex Kingston (I think she's been on ER), as Moll. Yet, I suppose, there are so many books and so little time.
But back to James ... don't you think DAISY MILLER would be a fun read?
I think just about any Henry James novel would be fun to read.

I'd better get back to Moll, however.

-Nikolle
Alys

Post by Alys »

My next solo project is going to be JOURNAL OF THE PLAGUE YEAR
Oh good! I have this down on my "list of things to possibly do next" ....but it's quite far down on the list, and I'd probably never get to it. Now I can look forward to listening to it sometime before the end of the decade!
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

Denny,

I wanted to check with you first before recording my sections. In section 12, there are several bills listing money and totals. I researched the currency symbols, which I believe are correct. Also, for the sake of clarity, I believe it necessary to add words, which Defoe omitted--depending on sight versus hearing. Where the totals are listed, I was thinking of saying something like "For a total of..." Let me know if this looks OK to you.

Text as is...
...6. The maid, besides their own maid, only.... . . 0#, 10s., 0d.

What I intend to record...
...6. The maid, besides their own maid, only. . . . 0 POUNDS, 10 SHILLINGS, 0 PENCE.

Best,
Nikolle
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

ndoo wrote:Denny,

I wanted to check with you first before recording my sections. In section 12, there are several bills listing money and totals. I researched the currency symbols, which I believe are correct. Also, for the sake of clarity, I believe it necessary to add words, which Defoe omitted--depending on sight versus hearing. Where the totals are listed, I was thinking of saying something like "For a total of..." Let me know if this looks OK to you.

Text as is...
...6. The maid, besides their own maid, only.... . . 0#, 10s., 0d.

What I intend to record...
...6. The maid, besides their own maid, only. . . . 0 POUNDS, 10 SHILLINGS, 0 PENCE.
Nikolle, Your gloss on how to read this is "spot on." This is always a challenge in reading anything by Defoe. He revels in richly- and accurately-imagined minutiae, which makes his fictionalizations seem hyper-real. Happens in Crusoe, happens more in Moll, whose realism is driven home by how in control of the monetary means of support for her "lifestyle" and possibilities as a female in an age that limited women's potential.

Happens most of all in Journal of the Plague Year, which is replete with scores (literally) of tables that need to be aurally interpreted in special ways.

I recently had an illuminating experience in this regard. I teach future teachers how to teach reading to youngsters. This semester, a totally blind future teacher enrolled in my course. We have spent hours on how to take information that is entirely visualized and make it intelligible to someone who has not visual "inputs" at their disposal. I have learned a lot about teaching more effectively from Tammie, and I hope to bring this to play in reading all the tables for Defoe's Plague.

Looking forward to hearing your read of the most practical chapter in Moll.

-Denny Mike
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].