[COMPLETE] Maggie: A Girl of the Streets by Stephen Crane-rd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Illiterati

Post by Illiterati » November 13th, 2008, 7:06 am

Maggie: A Girl of the Streets by Stephen Crane.

This project is complete. All audio files can be found via the catalogue page: http://librivox.org/maggie-a-girl-of-the-streets-by-stephen-crane/
Stephen Crane's first novel, Maggie: A Girl of the Streets has been called "the first dark flower of American Naturalism" for its distinctive elements of naturalistic fiction. The chief character, Maggie, descends into prostitution after being led astray by her lover. Rather than focusing on those that make up the very rich or middle class, the novel highlights the deplorable living conditions of the working class during the so-called Gilded Age in New York's Bovery. This is a reading of the 1893 self-published edition of the work. (Summary edited from Wikipedia)

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: June 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Maggie:_A_Girl_of_the_Streets
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

This project is prooflistened by Illiterati.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you read all of the text (including chapter notes and the Librivox disclaimer) from the link provided to your section in the Magic Window.

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    maggie_##_crane.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. maggie_01_crane.mp3)
    The exact name of your file can be found in the end of document you are reading from!

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). The exact ID3 tags for your file can be found in the end of the document you are reading from. The easiest way to get the tags right would be to copy & paste, but if you choose to write, please mind upper and lower case.

Title: ## - Chapter ##
    Artist: Stephen Crane
    Album: Maggie: A Girl of the Streets

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rd - russiandoll
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Illiterati on November 16th, 2008, 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

russiandoll

Post by russiandoll » November 13th, 2008, 10:20 am

I'll MC this! Back with MW later...

rd
English is the lingua franca par excellence

russiandoll

Post by russiandoll » November 13th, 2008, 10:55 am

All set!

Illiterati

Post by Illiterati » November 13th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Thank you and welcome, rd!

I'll sort out the Gutenberg text repeat problems today. I will compare the Gutenberg text against Archive.org scans and filter out the original version.

I

Illiterati

Post by Illiterati » November 16th, 2008, 9:12 am

Ready to run.

We will use the 1893 version of the work, self-published by Stephen Crane and available from Wikisources. This is the modern "definite edition" of the work as the 1896 version (available for instance from Archive.org) is somewhat cleaned of the roughness of the original.

sunri

Post by sunri » November 16th, 2008, 3:39 pm

I'd like to claim Chapter 12, thanks. :)

Nessa

Illiterati

Post by Illiterati » November 16th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Thank you, Nessa, you are there for chapter 12!

I listened to your poem at short poetry collection and everything is great - except that you could be somewhat louder. Turn up the input volume a bit, but not too much to get on red... :)

Easy way to check is to compare your volume against some catalogued works. On the positive side, you have practically no background noise, and even when amplified from a low level your recording sounds very good.

The reading is great. Welcome. I am sure Jc will respond in her thread as well. :)

sunri

Post by sunri » November 16th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Thank you. Wasn't expecting positive feedback so quickly. :D

And I'll keep that in mind. The input volume can be changed in the 'Preferences' dialog in Audacity, right?

russiandoll

Post by russiandoll » November 17th, 2008, 12:24 am

sunri wrote:Thank you. Wasn't expecting positive feedback so quickly. :D

And I'll keep that in mind. The input volume can be changed in the 'Preferences' dialog in Audacity, right?
Hi, Nessa. Just passing through... It may depend on your version of Audacity, I think - I'm pretty sure I've got a mic input slider on the main toolbar (I'm on a different computer at the mo.). But you should also check the 'master' settings for your computer which you'll find in your control panel if you're on Windows (I'm sure there'll be an equivalent on a Mac too). It's something like Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Sound Recording -> Volume. If that's too low then no amount of alteration of Audacity's settings will make much difference.
rd

russiandoll

Post by russiandoll » November 17th, 2008, 5:14 am

Off to Readers Wanted...

mortaine

Post by mortaine » November 17th, 2008, 10:15 am

I'll take chapters 1 and 2.

Illiterati

Post by Illiterati » November 17th, 2008, 10:54 am

I have added you as a reader for chapters 1 & 2, mortaine. Welcome.

I listened to your poem and the beginning of the short story as well and you are more than ready for the job. Great reading.

I would, however, offer the same advice as to sunri above: Increase your volume just a little. You can check things (if you record with Audacity) by opening the file and looking at the soundwaves. :D

You'd like them to go up to about 0.5.

Have fun with this book!

sunri

Post by sunri » November 17th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Hi again.

So, here's Chapter 12 already: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rd/maggie_12_crane.mp3

Rec time: 5:26

I think this time it might even be a bit too loud at parts. But you say the word if that's so.

Cheers, Nessa.

Illiterati

Post by Illiterati » November 18th, 2008, 1:14 am

Hi Sunri!

Yes, a bit too much this time, I'm afraid. Don't despair, however! Everything is not lost. On the contrary. :D

I've sent you a PM with some close help and images; I don't want to clutter the forum.

I

Beth V

Post by Beth V » November 19th, 2008, 2:49 pm

To whom it may concern,

I'm not very familiar with this format of communication...texting is not my forte. However, I would like to take on the job of recording Chapter 3 of Steven Crane's "Maggie A Girl in the Streets." I have been enjoying other readers of Librivox recordings, and thought I might help out. I am a newbie, and have downloaded the software Audacity, but was unable to download and unzip the software Lamelib. It looks like I will need to get a microphone, and figure out the Lamelib download.

I will give it a try, and login if I need further help.

Sincerely,

Beth V