COMPLETE [FICTION] Short Story Collection Vol. 034 -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lezer

Post by lezer » August 21st, 2008, 6:01 am

Short Story Collection Vol. 034

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/short-story-collection-vol-034/
  1. How to submit a story, and 'how it all works' here
    Please select and record any short story in the public domain. Try to stick to works that run less than 60 minutes. You are welcome to contribute as many as you wish, and there is no need to "sign-up" before recording... as long as the work is clearly in the public domain, just start recording. Multiple versions are always welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your selection already; we're happy to hear your version too. :)

Stories should be fiction, and in the English language. Other collections running at Librivox: Children's Short Works, Short Ghost Story Collection, Short Non-Fiction Collection, Short Mystery Story Collection, Short Science-Fiction Collection, Short Horror Story Collection, Short Poetry Collection, Long Poetry Collection - and Short Works Collections in German, Tagalog or in Dutch. So please select the appropriate collection for your contribution - plenty of choice.

Read points 5. to 7. below for what to do before, during and after your recording, and how to send your file.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    No. This collection will be open until it is full (20 stories have been submitted), at which point another one may be started.
  4. Where can I find short stories?
    Try http://www.gutenberg.org/ for example

Stories submitted to this collection so far:

(Admin link)
  5. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Mono
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  6. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Story title] by [Author name]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:

"Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Story title] by [Author name]."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Story Title]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
  7. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit (optional). The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    File Name: (lower case, separated by underscores): shortstory034_shorttitleinoneword_readersinitials.mp3, e.g. shortstory034_scarletletter_ge.mp3

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

• Title/Name: [Story Title] (e.g. The Safety Match)
    • Artist: [Author Name] (e.g. Anton Chekhov)
    • Album: LibriVox Short Story Collection Vol. 034

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which story you are submitting to the collection. Please include all this information:
• link to the recording in the LV uploader
• link to the text source
• author name
• title of the story
• duration (runtime) of the file (mm:ss)
• if this is your first recording: how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by lezer on October 27th, 2008, 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lezer

Post by lezer » August 21st, 2008, 6:10 am

OK, luciburg is on a long vacation - so there hasn't been a Short Story Collection online for almost 14 days - :shock:! But don't worry - the next one is here now :)

I've increased the number of stories to 20 - since they tended to get full very quickly lately. Any objections? Let me know! (If, somehow, this collection stalls at 12 for 3 months I might relent and catalog it anyway :))

Also - I would love to get a PL or DPL for this collection! I'm not planning on doing any PL myself. So please let me know if you're interested, or just listen along as we get contributions! :shock:

Steampunk

Post by Steampunk » August 25th, 2008, 4:35 pm

There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise.
-- Gore Vidal

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 25th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Hi
I've never DPLed a short story collection - so I step forward 1 pace :D

Anne

lezer

Post by lezer » August 25th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Wonderful!

Thank you very much for the contribution, Jim.

And very glad to have your help, Anne!

dgf

Post by dgf » August 27th, 2008, 12:02 pm

anna

Post by anna » August 29th, 2008, 2:23 am

The Lady or the Tiger by Frank R. Stockton -OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.

lezer

Post by lezer » August 30th, 2008, 12:48 am

Thank you dgf! Your contribution is in the MW.

And thank you anna - though... annise had just offered to become DPL of this collection... Oops, mix up! (Annise, I'm sure there will be plenty of stories to come.)

GerryR

Post by GerryR » August 31st, 2008, 8:34 am

I've successfully uploaded a short story by South African writer Herman Charles Bosman. Here is the URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/shortstory034_bekkersdal_gr.mp3.mp3 I would really like some feedback as this is my very first effort! 8-)

GerryR

Post by GerryR » August 31st, 2008, 8:53 am

OK I forgot to mention that I read the story from a very old book, so no link to the text. Time 16m

lezer

Post by lezer » August 31st, 2008, 9:10 am

Hi Gerry,
Thank you for your contribution. As Bosman died in 1951, it's not officially OK for me in the Netherlands to listen to the story (that's what you get with local laws in a global community...) but your Librivox introduction sounds fine, with good sound quality, clear reading etc. I'm sure the DPL will stop by soon.

However: we do need to make sure the story is public domain in the USA - that means, published first before 1923. I tried searching for it online, but can't make it out very well. Bekkersdal Marathon is also given as the name of a book published in 1971, but I presume the story was published earlier first? Can you help out - do you know when and where it was first published?

You'll understand that we have to be careful on the legal aspects of things here - we've had problems before, and we don't want to take the risk of the whole Librivox collection being shut down just because of a mistake... (i know, that's exaggerating things, but you know what I mean).

Anna

GerryR

Post by GerryR » August 31st, 2008, 9:33 am

Hi Anna
However: we do need to make sure the story is public domain in the USA - that means, published first before 1923. I tried searching for it online, but can't make it out very well. Bekkersdal Marathon is also given as the name of a book published in 1971, but I presume the story was published earlier first? Can you help out - do you know when and where it was first published?
To be honest I'm not sure whether Bosman's works are in the public domain yet. I think it will be OK in the US because he died more than 50 years ago.
You'll understand that we have to be careful on the legal aspects of things here - we've had problems before, and we don't want to take the risk of the whole Librivox collection being shut down just because of a mistake... (i know, that's exaggerating things, but you know what I mean).
I could ask the publishers of the book I quoted from. Would it be OK if I asked them to get written permission to publish in LV in view of the fact that we don't do it for gain?

Obviously I don't want to rock the boat. It is however such an hilarious story that I've been longing to do a recording for years...Even if we can't publish it here I've had a lot of fun doing it and learned a lot. I'll obviously abide by any decision you guys make as to the fate of the recording. (I suppose if it is rejected I could still send copies to personal friends.?)

lezer

Post by lezer » August 31st, 2008, 10:09 am

Hi Gerry,
Unfortunately, the US laws don't work by year of death of the author - at least, not yet fully - see for more information here: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/CopyrightAndPublicDomain

Asking the publishers for permission is not likely to work, I'm afraid - yes, we do it without gain, but we release our recordings into the public domain - that means, anyone can do with them what they want. And that includes selling - there's lots of Librivox recordings on CD being sold on ebay... So the person who has the right to the works would have to release them into the public domain...

We really need the date of publication - if it was before 1923, it will be OK definitely. It says on the wikipedia page that Bosman started to publish short stories for the national newspaper when he was 16 - so that would have been in 1921 - so there is a small chance... In other cases, take a look at the flow chart in the above link.
There might be some information on the date of publication, of first appearance, of the story in your book? If you want some help from others on the forums to find out, it would be a good idea to post a question in the Need Help forum - there's lots of librarians around here who may be able to help out.

The work is definitely public domain in South Africa, which has the life+50yrs rule - so yes, you could put it online somewhere yourself, or send it to friends, without problems. You can even sell it in your own country if you wish!

Anna

GerryR

Post by GerryR » August 31st, 2008, 11:13 am

Sorry about that but it looks like it was probably published in the 1940's. In the meantime I've found another one of my most favourite stories "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant. in Gutengerg. Now that is definitely in the public domain. I suppose it will be OK to go ahead with that? Would this be the right place for it? I've had some very flattering feedback from members of the forum in PM's so I guess my equipment and voice is OK? Please let me know if it needs adjustment or tweaking...

Thanks for all your help! You're a star :!:

lezer

Post by lezer » August 31st, 2008, 11:49 am

I always hate to be the one to bring the bad news that we can't accept a recording because of this... :( But if you strip off the Librivox intro, you can still post it on your own website, or give it to your friends, since it is public domain in South Africa! :) And it will have given you some practice...

Your voice & equipment are definitely OK! No tweaking necessary that I can hear. Your recording is very pleasant to listen to (of course I only listened to the intro :wink:)
I look forward to your reading of "The Necklace" - if it's on the US Gutenberg, it's OK for Librivox!

(Just a warning for future plans, not applicable to this story, since it is clearly OK: when a work is translated we also need to consider the date of the translation (and year of death of the translator))

(Oh - and if you speak Afrikaans, it would also be neat to get a poem in Afrikaans for the Multilingual Poetry Collection!)