[COMPLETE] Pensées by Blaise Pascal km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dexter

Post by dexter »

Here are the texts in the file I just posted:

Beneficia eo usque læta sunt dum videntur exsolvi posse; ubi multum antevenere, pro gratia odium redditur. [FOOTNOTE: “Benefits are pleasant while it seems possible to requite them; when they become much greater, they produce hatred rather than gratitude.”—Tacitus. END OF FOOTNOTE]

Modus quo corporibus adhærent spiritus comprehendi ab hominibus non potest, et hoc tamen homo est. [FOOTNOTE: “The manner in which spirits are united to bodies cannot be understood by men, yet such is man.”—St. Augustine. END OF FOOTNOTE]

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas. [FOOTNOTE: “Happy he who could understand the causes of things.”—Virgil. END OF FOOTNOTE]

nihil admirari prope res una quæ possit facere et servare beatum, [FOOTNOTE: “To wonder at nothing is almost the only thing which can make and keep a man happy.”—Horace. END OF FOOTNOTE]

Quasi quidquam infelicius sit homini cui sua figmenta dominantur. [FOOTNOTE: “As if anything more unfortunate could happen to a man ruled by his own fancies.—Pliny. END OF FOOTNOTE]

Quod crebro videt non miratur, etiamsi cur fiat nescit; quod ante non viderit, id si evenerit, ostentum esse censet. [FOOTNOTE: “What a man sees often he does not wonder at, although he knows not why it happens; if something occurs which he has not seen before, he thinks it a marvel.”—Cicero. END OF FOOTNOTE]

Næ iste magno conatu magnas nugas dixerit. [FOOTNOTE: “Verily, that man will have uttered great trifles with huge effort.”—Terence. END OF FOOTNOTE]
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi dexter -

I listened you you speaking Latin, and you make a heroic effort - I think it would be fine for an occasional phrase. But if it's "not fun", I would suggest getting another volunteer to do it.

This would mean recruiting a willing volunteer, showing him/her the places to read, getting their files, and splicing them into your own recording, and possibly equalizing volume, etc.

If Pascal looks difficult to you right now, may wish to pause it a while, and take another look at it when you have more LibriVox experience - maybe it won't look so formidable! The files you have already recorded would remain safely on the LV server. I would gladly M.C. you if you would like to make another choice.

You are a very good reader, dexter, please don't be discouraged! Please let me know how you want to proceed, and we'll work it out!
dexter

Post by dexter »

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

I think we should get another reader to read the Latin parts. I think that will improve the quality of the work. I will be happy to organize all the texts so that the Latin reader has minimal work.

To be clear: I am not discouraged by the book at all, except by the Latin parts. I just know I'm not doing a good job of them, and that makes it hard to be satisfied with the work as a whole. I don't think more experience with Librivox is going to make me read Latin better, so I'd like to push ahead with Pensees.

So where do we go from here? Post to a Reader's wanted section? I humbly suggest you do that, because you (a somebody) are probably more likely to get a response than me (a nobody).

There is some Latin in Section I, which I've already recorded. Should we have the Latin reader read those parts too? I could edit the file and re-post.

To acknowledge the new reader, should I add something like "Latin read by XXX" to the opening blurb?

Anything else I forgot?
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Great! I think the place to advertise is in the "Help and Advice" section, and also in the Classics thread, where some of the Latin readers hang out.

When someone replies, you can set up your own procedures - and go ahead and use my "km" directory on the server to share files - just be sure they are uniquely named, as there are no subdirectories.

And yes, let's him/her to do all the sections.

In the meantime, no need to wait to record your parts!

And any questions, I'll be glad to help!

Later: I've posted both places. :)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

I would gladly read the Latin parts; however, I have to warn you that my pronunciation of Latin isn't the English one. I use the "Classic" pronunciation, and even though both (and other!) pronunciations are valid, I think you should be satisfied with whatever pronunciation goes into your solo work. So, feel free to say you prefer someone with an Anglicized pronunciation of Latin (even in the middle of the French...). But if you think that another pronunciation is fine, you can count me in. I am ready to try and record the first parts too, for you to see if it's ok, before you make a decision, if you think that's better =)
dexter

Post by dexter »

Leni wrote:I would gladly read the Latin parts; however, I have to warn you that my pronunciation of Latin isn't the English one. I use the "Classic" pronunciation, and even though both (and other!) pronunciations are valid, I think you should be satisfied with whatever pronunciation goes into your solo work. So, feel free to say you prefer someone with an Anglicized pronunciation of Latin (even in the middle of the French...). But if you think that another pronunciation is fine, you can count me in. I am ready to try and record the first parts too, for you to see if it's ok, before you make a decision, if you think that's better =)
That's great! I'm sure the Classic pronunciation will be fine, and much, much better than I am able to do!

How would you like me to acknowledge you in the intro to each section? I was planning on saying, "Reading by Derek McLachlin, London, Ontario, Canada. Latin language reading by [your name], [your location, if you wish]." What do you think?

I will work on organizing the Latin phrases, and will post them when ready. I plan on posting Word files, is that all right?

Thanks for helping out!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

dexter wrote: That's great! I'm sure the Classic pronunciation will be fine, and much, much better than I am able to do!

How would you like me to acknowledge you in the intro to each section? I was planning on saying, "Reading by Derek McLachlin, London, Ontario, Canada. Latin language reading by [your name], [your location, if you wish]." What do you think?

I will work on organizing the Latin phrases, and will post them when ready. I plan on posting Word files, is that all right?

Thanks for helping out!
Hey Dexter

Now, with more time, I listened to the files you had already posted. It seems that you were reading with the Classic pronunciation yourself, so that should be fine. :) And, for some reason, I thought you were reading the book in French, even though I had seen the English translations of the footnotes... :oops: go figure.

You can add in the intro section "Latin language reading by Leni, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil" (now, that will be an interesting book... what a mix of countries :lol: )

A Word file is fine. I'd like to ask you though to please add the translations of the sentences, if they are given in the text, since it speeds up the work, in case of words that look the same but can be pronounced slightly different, depending on the meaning - just like you did in the post above. Also, what should I say in the beginning and end of the recording (if I should say anything, like name of book and chapter)? Finally, how should I name the files? I thought of something like penseeslatin_01_pascal.mp3, but whatever you say is better will be done.

I don't know how you were thinking of organizing it, but if you want to send me the Latin sentences per chapter, I can start recording all the sentences in chapter 1, then do chapter 2 whenever you have them ready and so on.

Just to add to what Karen said, I've just listened to both chapters you posted, and it's a very nice reading indeed, very pleasant to listen to. I hope you do keep it up. :)

Glad I can help.
dexter

Post by dexter »

Hi Leni,

My French is a lot better than my Latin, but overall I think I'd better stick to English!

I will acknowledge you as you suggest. I'm guessing Leni rhymes with penny. If not, let me know.

I have compiled the Latin phrases from the first four sections. The site won't let me upload a Word file, so I have uploaded a .txt file:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/Pensees_Latin_Sections_1-4.txt

I have put translations when they are found in the book. Whenever Pascal quotes the Bible, he does it in Latin, and only the reference is given in the footnote. In the file above I have given you the entire verse in English, although I'm certain that sometimes only part of the verse is quoted. Let me know if the English doesn't match the Latin at all; I've already found two instances where an incorrect verse was cited in the footnotes.

Your naming convention is fine. You can read them into separate files for each section, even though some will be fairly short. Please start each file with the Section number, and before each phrase give the paragraph number, as indicated in the file. That will help me find the right place. You don't need to read the English translation. Please leave pauses of a few seconds before and after each Latin phrase. This will make it easier when I edit the files together.

Thanks a lot for your help, I feel a lot better!
dexter

Post by dexter »

kmerline wrote:When someone replies, you can set up your own procedures - and go ahead and use my "km" directory on the server to share files - just be sure they are uniquely named, as there are no subdirectories.
I will be editing Section 1 to change the opening blurb and to add Leni's Latin parts in the body of the reading. Would it be possible to delete the current section 1 from the directory, so that I can use the same filename, or should I save the new file as something slightly different?
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I am so happy you volunteered, Leni - and you two are well on your way to working things out!

When we were discussing the English pronunciation in the thread, I didn't make it clear I was thinking of occasional Latin names in an English context -
So the pronunciation you prefer is the one to use.

We even have a precedent - russiandoll is reading Trollope's "Life of Cicero", which has extensive Latin footnotes, with classic pronunciation.

About the first file: just go ahead and reupload it with the same name; the uploader script renames and saves the file up there already to make room for the new one.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello again, Dexter.

Thanks for the file, I'll start the recording soon. I'd like to add just two observations about it:

1) No need to change this one, I copied and fixed it already, by comparing to the online text. However, whenever there is the "ae" character in the text (you know, the one that looks like an a and an e together), they're showing in your .txt as different japanese characters - at least for me :shock: And the character "eats" some of the following letters too, so I didn't know what those words were. So, for the next file, if you could change the "ae" thing into simply ae, that would be great. If that's too much trouble, I'll just compare it to the online text, to get the complete word.

2) Section 2, paragraph 69 - that's Italian, not Latin. =) I can speak Italian decently, though, so I'll just record it together with the rest.

Waiting for the noise in the neighborhood to die out to record.

:D

Edit: here is Section 1. Let me know if it's ok, or if I should do something different.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/penseeslatin_01_pascal.mp3

Leni
dexter

Post by dexter »

Hi Leni,

Your file sounds great! That's perfect, just continue in the same way.

I will watch for that ae character in the future.

I wondered if that one phrase was Italian, but I figured you could handle it better than I could, even it if was.

Just so you know, if there are only one or two Latin words in an otherwise English sentence, I intend to read the Latin myself, to maintain continuity. However, I will model my pronunciation after yours, so I look forward to hearing your files.

I intend to post Latin from subsequent sections on the weekend, so they'll be available if you have time to record them.

It's great to work with someone from Brazil again! I worked closely with a fellow from Sao Paulo for a few years, and he remains one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
dexter

Post by dexter »

I have uploaded the edited Section 1:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/pensees_01_pascal.mp3

Length: 29:03

Leni's readings are at 17:28, 21:48 and 24:33.

I also uploaded the Latin parts for Sections 5-7:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/Pensees_Latin_Sections_5-7.txt
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks for the new file. =) I'll probably upload at least Section 2 tonight.

I agree that, if there are only one or two words in the middle of a sentence, it'd be a bit strange to have another voice for them. Let me know if you have any doubts regarding their pronunciation, though. I could probably try to write how to pronounce them. =)

Edit: Section 2

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/penseeslatin_02_pascal.mp3

Please, let me know if it's ok.

Thanks!

Leni
dexter

Post by dexter »

Here is the first part of Section II, with Leni's Latin reading:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/pensees_02_pascal.mp3

49:09

I'll have the second part up as soon as I can edit in Leni's parts.