[COMPLETE] Soldier Life in the Army of N. Virginia 1861-5-cs

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf »

Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865 by Carlton McCarthy.

THIS PROJECT IS NOW COMPLETE. All audio files may be found on the catalog page here:
http://librivox.org/detailed-minutiae-of-soldier-life-in-the-army-of-northern-virginia-1861-1865-by-carlton-mccarthy/

The author, who fought as a private in the Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War, describes the Confederate soldier’s daily struggles with hunger, illness, fear, and the perils of combat; as well as his pride of service, love of comrades, and courage in the face of overwhelming odds (summary by D. Leeson).

• Target completion date: 12/31/2008
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/25603
  • Type of proof-listening required:: Standard Proof-Listening
    This project has a dedicated proof-listener who will listen to all sections: Bear Creek Mama

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865, by Carlton McCarthy. [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865, by Carlton McCarthy."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    soldier_life_01_mccarthy.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 01 - A Voice From The Ranks
    Artist: Carlton McCarthy
    Album: Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: cs - Cori
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by NoDecaf on July 18th, 2008, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh, this looks like an interesting read, David! I'll happily MC for you.

I see you've already done a test recording, which has been okayed by expert ears ... so ... please do just ask if you've any questions, and I'll drop you a PM shortly with further info.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf »

Chapter one is up (22:09, 20.2MB):

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/soldier_life_01_mccarthy.mp3

Thanks for joining me on this project!
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf »

Chapter two is also available (16:26, 15.0 MB):

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/soldier_life_02_mccarthy.mp3
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf »

Cori

Post by Cori »

Whoo, excellent! Magic window is in, and I'm just PMing you now, NoDecaf!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Bear Creek Mama

Post by Bear Creek Mama »

1 is OK!!! :)
Bear Creek Mama

2 is OK!!! :) I love history and this is quite interesting! Your reading of the text is great!! I'll go ahead and delete the thread in listeners wanted.
Bear Creek Mama

David, 3 is read your usual flawless way, but about 1:29 it sounds like the mic might have shifted and the "plosives" began. It's most prevalent in the first 5 minutes (starting about 1:43), then again at ~10:07 - the end. In between the 5 and 10 minute markers, the plosives are just here and there.

It's OK to go if you decide not to change anything! :)
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf »

I did have some concerns about Chapter 3 and another one I recorded at the same time. I will most likely re-record Chapter 3 soon. I'll let you know when it's ready to review. Thanks for your input.
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf »

Bear Creek Mama

I've downloaded 4 and will listen this afternoon and I'd be delighted to listen to chapter 3 again if you do decide to re-record it. This is quite an interesting book!
Bear Creek Mama

4 is top-notch!! :thumbs:
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf »

I'll make plans to re-record Chapter 3. The problems I was getting with plosives and air conditioning on the mic seem to have been solved by a screen made from a small cross-stitch hoop and panty hose.

I'm still trying to edit out the uninvited cast of characters: The World's Loudest Songbird, Leaf Blower Guy, and The Dog Who Needs a Pedicure.

Thanks for all your help with this. Pvt. McCarthy sounds a bit opinionated, but, from the sound of it, he earned the right to be!
Bear Creek Mama

NoDecaf wrote:I'll make plans to re-record Chapter 3. The problems I was getting with plosives and air conditioning on the mic seem to have been solved by a screen made from a small cross-stitch hoop and panty hose.

I'm still trying to edit out the uninvited cast of characters: The World's Loudest Songbird, Leaf Blower Guy, and The Dog Who Needs a Pedicure.
Gotta love those panty hose!! :)

Some background noise won't matter unless it's just overly distracting. I never edit out my dogs' jingling their collars except when they're just obnoxiously loud about it. Barking is a whole different story!! :? One of my dog's is blind and he barks at the least little thing, or nothing at all. I spend alot of time editing out his barks! :(

I'm looking forward to your next chapter!