COMPLETE - Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - AF/lb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Heather

Post by Heather »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/herland-by-charlotte-perkins-gilman/

Heather started this as a solo project but has agreed to open it up as a collaborative project. luciburg will assist as BC.

Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Dec. 31, 2007 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/32
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(Admin Link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Herland. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Chapter [number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    herland_##_gilman.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. herland_01_gilman.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: Chapter ##
    Artist: Charlotte Perkins Gilman
    Album: Herland

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lb - luciburg
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM thistlechick

Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Yep, Herland is in PG: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/32

Is Story of an Hour a novel? or possibly a short story? If it's a short story, you could also consider contributing it to the short story collection here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1442
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Heather, I'll be your Metadata Coordinator for this project... if you have some server space to store your files you can post links to your files here in this thread ... or you can email them to me via YouSendIt ... let me know what will work best for you =)

Oh, I was looking at wikipedia.org for more info on this author and found the text http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Story_of_an_Hour ... definitely a short work... =)
~ Betsie
Heather

Post by Heather »

it's very short with a GREAT O Henry/Saki like irony kick at the end. Used in every american lit textbook these days. I've recorded it and will send it...to the short story folk.

Glad Herland is PD. I'm going to post for that too.
Great fun,
Heather
Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com
Heather

Post by Heather »

I'm getting this bizzare non-regularly intervaled crackling on my recordings. A friend suggested it was static, but I have completely destatic'd myself (um...yeah...not a word, but you get the pic, right?) and am sitting on a couch, in a sound-dead room, and I'm STILL getting the crackling. I've checked all the mike connections--all the computer connections in general. I'm using a Plantronics Digital Sound Processing headset mike (DSP500) which should be fine for this.
I'm on a Mac G4 Titanium running the latest software. I'll be upgrading to a new Mac Laptop probably on Thursday.
It's not related to scrolling through the text doc or touching anything.
Very odd...
Any ideas in the meantime? I've recorded quite a bit, trying different rooms and different tactics, but it's all largely unusable and I don't want to re-record until I've fixed this.
Frustrated,
Heather
Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I'm not very good with troubleshooting hardware... but in my own experience, I had quite a bit of skipping and static when I first began recording. A couple of things helped get rid of this for me (though you might have some totally different problem)....

1) Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space... I had no idea how much space the Audacity files were taking up until my recordings started skipping because of the lack of memory. After I cleaned up my machine and moved the large files to a different storage location, the problem ceased.

2) Make sure you are recording at 16-bit sample format... I have no idea what this means, but when I started I was recording at 32-bit and had some problems with sound quality.

... if you need more assistance, please post a new thread asking for ideas in the Need Help forum... there are usually several people there to help with more detailed technical questions.

I know you finished Story of an Hour for the story collection, so are you now working on the Herland? ... if so, let's change the subject of this thread... which means, I probably also need to add the project to the "To Come" section of the Librivox Catalog page =)
~ Betsie
Heather

Post by Heather »

Sorry about that...I was looking for my Herland thread, didn't find it, found this...forgot about the other.
:D
My bad...
I actually think it might be the 16 bit rate thingy (my highly techie terminology...) I'll go check.
Heather
Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Heather wrote:Sorry about that...I was looking for my Herland thread, didn't find it, found this...forgot about the other.
My bad...
I actually think it might be the 16 bit rate thingy (my highly techie terminology...) I'll go check.
Heather
Yea, I understand about words like thingy and whatsit.... no problem there.

I'll change the subject for you ... I'm looking forward to listening to this book.... thanks for working on it =)
~ Betsie
Heather

Post by Heather »

thistlechick wrote:
2) Make sure you are recording at 16-bit sample format... I have no idea what this means, but when I started I was recording at 32-bit and had some problems with sound quality.
I'm at a 44100 Hz Default Sample Rate
and a 32-bit Default Sample FORMAT
so I'm changing the format to 16-bit and we'll see how that goes.
Thanks
Heather
Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com
Heather

Post by Heather »

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=197UGAT5JDEDE0DQ6DETY8ULCT

And I'm not at all sure about the volume as I switched to Garage Band. It sounds great on MY machine, but...

Let me know and I'll start on Chapter 2.

Thanks again! Work's finally easing up.
Heather
Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Here's a bit of warning about Garage Band. It apparently will not let you create any files longer than 1 hour, so if you run into a chapter takes longer than that to read, it's going to give you problems.

Though you may never encounter a chapter that takes that long, it's best to know it beforehand...
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Heather,

Your recording sounds fabulous! technically clear with no background noise... but best of all, I love your voice and reading style. I'm not going to listen through the entire chapter right now, but am really looking forward to hearing this when completed.

I'll store there here for you: http://betsie.info/librivox/herland/ ... since there are more than 9 chapters, I've changed the file name to herland_01_gillman.mp3 so that they will sort properly.... please consider using that format for future chapters.

Keep up the wonderful work =)
~ Betsie
Heather

Post by Heather »

Sorry about the naming convention. I may have gotten it from an older FAQ printout. I'll use the new one and get you some more chapters ASAP. Work FINALLY calmed down.
: )
YAY!
Thank you again,
Heather
Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

No worries!... Enjoy =)
~ Betsie
Heather

Post by Heather »

Chapter two--the men find the women...and find them to be a little more clever and a lot more strong than expected.
http://download.yousendit.com/773DE6583C5D38A2

Chapter three tomorrow (it's late! What am I still doing up!?)

Thanks for the patience! I'm over the respiratory infections, I think.

Heather
Heather in NY
MamaOKnits.com
CraftLit.com