COMPLETE: Collected Public Domain Works of H.P. Lovecraft-ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bluemike807

Post by bluemike807 » June 20th, 2008, 6:48 am

Hi Smijen - Please credit me as "Michael Sample". I don't really have a personal URL at this time, so leaving it blank will be fine.

Cheers!

Starlite

Post by Starlite » June 20th, 2008, 6:50 am

Hey Michael, butting in here - If the web page is blank, we substitute your catalog page:

http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2815

Pretty neat eh?

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

smijen

Post by smijen » June 20th, 2008, 8:45 am

Varra - you are signed up. Thanks!
Edgar - I'll ask my DH (thelric) to PM you... he has all the expansions and I've no idea where they all came from. :roll:
Michael - thanks for the info.
Esther - good info to butt in with. ;) Thanks.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.

SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones » June 20th, 2008, 10:12 am

SmokestackJones wrote:P.S. from Smokestack's Ego: Does that mean the other versions will be (unintentioally) "buried?"
smijen wrote:That's not just your ego talking - I'm concerned about that too. If someone searches for Lovecraft, or for a particular story, all of your existing stuff will turn up... but it will be a lot easier to download the collection (that was the point, after all).
Much like a Lovecraft story, this project has vaguely unsettled me... :? I'd rather not have started it at all than have anyone's feelings hurt over it. I do hope you'll read a few new ones for us.
Hey smijen,

Although I was concerned, I think in the end it'll turn out okay. I just get a bit touchy about the Lovecraft stuff (I think they turned out the best of the stuff I did). I'd love to help out, but I'm tied up with the Baron Munchausen book right now, so carry on (waves hand in blessing). I'm looking forward to listening to this when it's done.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection

erfunden

Post by erfunden » June 22nd, 2008, 11:53 am

Finished. Total length, 18 minutes 18 seconds.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/doom_that_came_to_sarnath_lovecraft_mb.mp3

I think I'd like to take a crack at "Herbert West: Reanimator", please.
Matt Bohnhoff
http://bohnhoff.livejournal.com/

smijen

Post by smijen » June 22nd, 2008, 6:44 pm

Thanks, Matt - Herbert is all yours. :)

Varra Unreal

Post by Varra Unreal » June 22nd, 2008, 9:53 pm

Hello all

This is the link to the chapter entitled 'Memory":

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/memory_lovecraft_vu.mp3
Runtime: 2min 48s
Size: 2.56MB

Varra Unreal

smijen

Post by smijen » June 22nd, 2008, 11:07 pm

Hi Varra - thanks for your contribution!
Some technical issues... there is a lot of background noise and you are very quiet! For next time, try to get rid of whatever noise you can (close doors and windows, shut off fans, etc.) and either get closer to the mic or increase your input volume. For this time, I've tried to clean it and boost the volume, but I don't think I did a great job. If anyone else wants to have a go at it, please do. New file is here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/memory_lovecraft_vu_cleaned.mp3

Varra Unreal

Post by Varra Unreal » June 23rd, 2008, 5:42 am

Hello smijen

I have tried everything you suggested when I was recording, going to the quietest area I could find in my house and shutting all doors and windows. However, these measures did not seem to help much, for my house is facing the highway and passing traffic would be picked up very clearly on my microphone. When I tried moving closer to it, there came a very unpleasant hissing sound which I did not know how to get rid of (even the Noise Removal function in Audacity did not seem to work!). Perhaps I could try recording earlier in the morning the next time.

Varra Unreal

jpontoli

Post by jpontoli » June 23rd, 2008, 6:55 pm

Hi, I am a new member/volunteer and I would like to claim "Polaris" and "The Tomb". I have already made a test recording of Polaris and have learned Audacity basics. Thanks for your time and attention. Jim

smijen

Post by smijen » June 23rd, 2008, 9:12 pm

Wow - that's a noisy place! In the Need Help? Got Advice? forum, there are usually discussions about noise, cleaning, and crazy things people do to block out noise. You could look around there or post a new thread if you like. Meanwhile, let's go with what you've got for the Lovecraft collection. Thanks again for your contribution. :)

smijen

Post by smijen » June 23rd, 2008, 9:30 pm

Welcome, Jim - you are signed up! Please go ahead and upload the test recording if you want to get feedback on your technical setup. You can post the link here and/or in the Listeners Wanted forum. Also, please let me know how you'd like to be credited in the catalog? Real name or screen name? Any personal URL you'd like us to link to?

jpontoli

Post by jpontoli » June 24th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Hi Smijen,

Here is the link for my reading of Polaris:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/polaris_lovecraft_jp.mp3

I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. This is not a raw test. I went through several takes to remove misspoken words and then cleaned it up a bit further with the tools in Audacity removing noise artifacts. I will hold off working on "The Tomb" until I get your feedback. Thanks! Jim

jpontoli

Post by jpontoli » June 24th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Oops forgot some details. The track timing is 10:16, you can credit me in the catalog by my screen name, and I have no URL to link to.

smijen

Post by smijen » June 25th, 2008, 12:59 am

Hi Jim - your reading was great! I did notice a few words that were different from the online text, and we need to be really really careful with copyright issues when it comes to Lovecraft, so can you please confirm your source? Did you read from an online text?