COMPLETE: Collected Public Domain Works of H.P. Lovecraft-ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
smijen

Post by smijen » June 16th, 2008, 8:00 am

Thanks, everyone. I must say - I've been around for a year and I've never heard about this "rule". Should it be made more prominent somehow... maybe the How To Become a BC page... or does it come up so rarely that it's not worth it?

Anyway, I am running out the door to work, so will clean up the window tonight.

I would still like to do the Cats of Ulthar, so I am claiming it now. (it was my very first recording, so hopefully I can do a better job)

Bluemike - thanks for your contributions!
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » June 16th, 2008, 8:03 am

I think it just comes up pretty rarely... and I don't think it's ever been put down as a hard and fast rule (there are some exceptions, like the favourite chapter collections); it's more discouraged than forbidden.
Karen S.

SarekOfVulcan

Post by SarekOfVulcan » June 16th, 2008, 8:03 pm

d.e.wittkower wrote: Sarek: please feel free to record "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"! I can just post my version in the Horror Short Story collection . . . or you can! Whichever.
Thanks, d.e., but now I've got Celephais in my head, so that's what I want to read. :-) I appreciate the offer, though!

smijen

Post by smijen » June 17th, 2008, 11:30 pm

*admins feel free to move this to off-topic or suggestions or whatever, if appropriate*

First, many thanks to my MC Karen for pointing out that she had considered this, that it's not a rule per se, there are exceptions, etc. It is one of my pet peeves in the work environment that you often don't know about a "rule" until after you've broken it :roll: so it was good to know I hadn't actually "broken" anything. ;)

Second, since the consensus is that we should re-record, we'll re-record. It's "not a hill I want to die on", as I often say in real life. LV is fun and I intend to keep it that way!

Third, I still do have to say, though, that I disagree with the rule in principle, and would like to know more about the rationale behind it. If it was catalog confusion or redundancy, then how do we justify the favourite chapters collection? To me, a collection of stand-alone stories by the same author makes more sense than random sections of random books (no matter how wonderfully they're read :) ). People are going to continue to want "collections" of things... whether it's Mark Twain, Robert Frost, or Karen Savage. Another workplace pet peeve of mine is the creation of policy based on the limitations of technology (you know, the old we-can't-do-that-because-the-computer-blah-blah-blah). Shouldn't we come up with the best ideas and then make the technology do what we want? Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt because I don't know much about the workings of the catalog, but maybe we could think of a way to make "collections" more acceptable.

and now on with the project...
1. changed my mind about Cats of Ulthar. That would just be silly. I'll take The Street instead.
2. bluemike807: I've PL'd both of your sections and they are good to go! Please let me know how you'd like to be credited in the catalog? Michael Sample or just bluemike807? Do you have a personal URL you'd like us to link to?

gdhaire

Post by gdhaire » June 18th, 2008, 5:00 am

Hi

It's been several months since I contributed, and I'd like to jump back in. May I read two stories? If so, I'd like to claim #15 Nyarlathotep and #16 The Picture in the House.

Thanks

Durant
Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. -- Rudyard Kipling

smijen

Post by smijen » June 18th, 2008, 7:57 am

welcome back, Durant! they're all yours :)

SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones » June 18th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Hey there,

Wow. I'm somewhat respectable. Cool.

-SJ

P.S. from Smokestack's Ego: Does that mean the other versions will be (unintentioally) "buried?"
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection

smijen

Post by smijen » June 18th, 2008, 10:04 pm

SmokestackJones wrote:Wow. I'm somewhat respectable. Cool.
The other was my DH, so you're in good company. :lol:
SmokestackJones wrote:P.S. from Smokestack's Ego: Does that mean the other versions will be (unintentioally) "buried?"
That's not just your ego talking - I'm concerned about that too. If someone searches for Lovecraft, or for a particular story, all of your existing stuff will turn up... but it will be a lot easier to download the collection (that was the point, after all).
Much like a Lovecraft story, this project has vaguely unsettled me... :? I'd rather not have started it at all than have anyone's feelings hurt over it. I do hope you'll read a few new ones for us.

edgar-allan-poe-RIP

Post by edgar-allan-poe-RIP » June 19th, 2008, 3:30 am

Please excuse my recent absence...

There was a somewhat unfortunate occurence this Monday requiring stitches etc. so I did not finish editing The Beast In The Cave.
However, I just want to assure you that it'll be completed and uploaded either this evening or tomorrow morning.

I'd also like to claim #14 The Nameless City if possible. Its the first Lovecraft story which features the infamous couplet from the Necromonicon that is my signature. The real reason I want to record it though (not to get all mushy and personal on you all) is because my girlfriend thinks the couplet's beautiful...

Apologies for rambling.

Once again sorry for the delay.

~Edgar
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

-H.P. Lovecraft, The Nameless City, 1921

d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower » June 19th, 2008, 8:08 am

smijen wrote:
SmokestackJones wrote:P.S. from Smokestack's Ego: Does that mean the other versions will be (unintentioally) "buried?"
That's not just your ego talking - I'm concerned about that too. If someone searches for Lovecraft, or for a particular story, all of your existing stuff will turn up... but it will be a lot easier to download the collection (that was the point, after all).
I'd look at it this way . . .

Um, I'll rephrase that, since a couple of my recordings are in the Short Horror Collections as well:

I look at it this way:

1. It's true, they will be less easy to download with other Lovecraft stories than the versions recorded here for the full collection. But real Lovecraft fanatics will seek them out, and,

2. besides, this way more LibriVoxers get a more ready opportunity to record his work!

3. Also, while they are less easily downloadable along with other Lovecraft, they are more easily downloadable with other horror stories. So, the Lovecraft fan who seeks out your recordings is going to be exposed to new authors who they might not otherwise have sought out.

4. Plus, perhaps most importantly, those who do not know Lovecraft, but would like his work, are much more likely to listen to the short horror collections than the H.P. collected works. So, you and I and everybody else who recorded Lovecraft for the short horror collections have the privilege of introducing Lovecraft to new listeners and future fans! I don't think you should be disappointed at all.

Not sure if that helps your worries at all, but that's my take on it.

smijen

Post by smijen » June 19th, 2008, 9:02 am

Thanks, D.E..

Edgar - sorry to hear about your mishap! 14 is yours.
and I agree with your girlfriend... in our other thread, I mentioned DH's character editor for the Arkham Horror game... it's called Strange Eons :)

erfunden

Post by erfunden » June 19th, 2008, 9:29 pm

May I have number 8?
Thank you
Matt Bohnhoff
http://bohnhoff.livejournal.com/

smijen

Post by smijen » June 19th, 2008, 10:48 pm

All yours - thanks Matt!

Varra Unreal

Post by Varra Unreal » June 20th, 2008, 3:23 am

Hello all

May I read Section 12 - Memory?

Varra Unreal

edgar-allan-poe-RIP

Post by edgar-allan-poe-RIP » June 20th, 2008, 5:14 am

Many thanks...I'll survive this time :)

That I indeed noticed...I must confess to having never played Arkham Horror but I am intrigued...could you advise me of any retailer that stocks it? Or would I be better off scouring the vast wilderness of ebay?

~Edgar
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

-H.P. Lovecraft, The Nameless City, 1921