COMPLETE: Collected Public Domain Works of H.P. Lovecraft-ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
smijen

Post by smijen » June 14th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Collected Public Domain Works of H.P. Lovecraft.

LV welcomes multiple versions of all recordings. Please continue to contribute to the Short Horror Story Collections!

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/collected-public-domain-works-of-h-p-lovecraft/
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Feb.20, 2009 but please send your recording as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:H._P._Lovecraft (links to specific stories are in the magic window)
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Story Title], by H.P. Lovecraft."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Story Title]."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

If your story is longer than 60 minutes, please split it up evenly into 2 or more files.

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    title_of_story_lovecraft_initials.mp3 (all lower-case)
    Omit "the" or "a" at start of title, e.g. cats_of_ulthar_lovecraft_sj.mp3

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: [Full Story Title]
    Artist: H.P. Lovecraft
    Album: Public Domain Works of H.P. Lovecraft

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ks - gypsygirl
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by smijen on October 17th, 2008, 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » June 15th, 2008, 8:51 am

Hi Sarah, I'll MC this for you. Back in a bit with the magic window.
Karen S.

ceastman

Post by ceastman » June 15th, 2008, 10:38 am

Er, is Cats of Ulthar supposed to be listed twice?

-Catharine

smijen

Post by smijen » June 15th, 2008, 11:02 am

Hi Catharine - You caught me in the middle of reorganizing the window. I had them listed chronologically, but I'm stealing some pre-recorded ones from the horror collections and those filenames all start with the story title, so I thought I'd better change it to alphabetical. I think it's fixed now, but double-checks are welcome!

smijen

Post by smijen » June 15th, 2008, 11:54 am

Hi Karen - thanks for the MW! Is it a big hassle to delete one row? I had included Poetry of the Gods, but HPL has a whole lotta poetry that's not really "horror", so I'm thinking I'll put those in a separate collection.

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » June 15th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Nope, no hassle at all, since the bottom line is empty (that's the one that goes). I'll remove it for you.
Karen S.

smijen

Post by smijen » June 15th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Thanks! :)

d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower » June 15th, 2008, 7:21 pm

SarekOfVulcan

Post by SarekOfVulcan » June 15th, 2008, 7:52 pm

[strike]I'd like to take #3, "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"...[/strike] Never mind, I can't read... Guess I'll do #5, "Celephais", instead.

...but what I'd _really_ like to take is #30 from Fungi from Yuggoth, "Background". :-) I grew up in Providence, so the description is familiar. :-)

smijen

Post by smijen » June 15th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Thanks, d.e.!
Sarek - you are signed up for Celephais. Sorry for the confusion - d.e. had PM'd me saying he might do that section and I should've reserved it for him. Hope you enjoy your section! :)

smijen

Post by smijen » June 15th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Opinions please (especially from admin's)...
There are 2 existing versions of The Cats of Ulthar and The Tomb. I thought that including multiple copies would be weird - only some of the stories would have multiples, and the collection won't get updated with the multiples that are created later on. However, I have two (somewhat) respectable gentlemen disagreeing with me... So, what does everyone think? Would adding multiples of a couple of stories emphasize that LV welcomes multiple versions, and encourage folks to pick up the mic? We could put a sentence or two in the catalog description by way of explanation.

Starlite

Post by Starlite » June 16th, 2008, 3:32 am

Sarah, I have some specific thoughts on this. Am I to understand that you are taking existing Lovecraft stories previously cataloged and putting them in this collection thus duplicating the stories?

I, personally don't think that is such a great idea. They are already in the catalog even though they are in collections. Why not allow NEW versions of the stories so the new readers get a chance to record them too. It has been discouraged in the past having the exact same text/reader posted in two places.

Am I the only one who has concerns? If I am way out in left field, please let me know. (Well OK, you DID as for opinions)

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower » June 16th, 2008, 4:28 am

Yes -- I was curious about this too, as I thought the 'no cross-listing' policy was pretty well in place. I guess it's not really a "rule," per se, though. Sorry I didn't bring this up earlier.

I would encourage you, Sarah, to just start anew. This gives more people a chance to take part, and -- given that these are Lovecraft, and short stories -- it shouldn't take too long to fill the roster. And this way we get to enjoy Lovecraft with even more voices!

As an aside:

Sarek: please feel free to record "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"! I can just post my version in the Horror Short Story collection . . . or you can! Whichever.

and Sarah: no, you were right not to assign the story to me. I didn't claim it because I wasn't sure whether I'd have time last night, and, when I did start it, I still didn't claim it because I figured that if anybody else claimed it in the meantime, I'd just post it to the Horror Short Story collection instead!

So sorry to have introduced any fuss or worry to either of you, Sarek; Sarah.

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » June 16th, 2008, 4:40 am

d.e.wittkower wrote:Yes -- I was curious about this too, as I thought the 'no cross-listing' policy was pretty well in place. I guess it's not really a "rule," per se, though. Sorry I didn't bring this up earlier.
I was wondering whether to post something about this myself. I know there has been discussion in the past among the admins about duplicate entries (where duplicate means the exact same file, not two different readings of the same work) and the consensus has always been that, while the latter is encouraged, the former is not.
Karen S.

bluemike807

Post by bluemike807 » June 16th, 2008, 6:01 am

Hello, I would like to take #7 - Dagon, and will post shortly once it is recorded.

Cheers!

Dagon:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/dagon_lovecraft_mras.mp3

I also did 'The Tree'
**edit. I noticed a few problems with this recording - sorry. I will try to redo it before too long.

***edit. Should be fixed... me hopes. :P

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/tree_lovecraft_mras.mp3

Thanks!
Last edited by bluemike807 on June 16th, 2008, 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.