[COMPLETE] House of Commons Speeches - Churchill - cm

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Selected House of Commons Speeches by Winston Churchill.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/selected-house-of-commons-speeches-by-winston-churchill/

Wikipedia wrote:Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874 – 1965) was a British politician known chiefly for his leadership of the United Kingdom during World War II. He served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. A noted statesman and orator, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army, a historical writer, and an artist.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Date – 30th November 2008 (Churchill's 113th birthday), but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Please see the links in the Magic Window, below - please read only from these versions.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

======================================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin link)
    =======================================================
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Speech title] - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Speech given by Winston Churchill to the House of Commons, [date]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of speech."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Selected House of Commons Speeches by Winston Churchill."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    commons_##_churchill.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. commons_01_churchill.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Speech title], [year]
    Artist: Winston Churchill
    Album: Selected House of Commons speeches

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: cm - carlmanchester
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by CarlManchester on April 26th, 2009, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
musil

Post by musil »

I claim Section 01.

Eugene Smith
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'd like Neville Chamberlain, please (17). I can't actully imagine listening to these in someone else's voice, and the most famous speeches are just too intense to record myself. But, I really like what WC said about NC, so ... that one'll work for me.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kayray

Post by kayray »

May I have 07 The Abdication, 1935 ?

(Can't read the wartime ones without getting all choked up)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Eugene, Cori and Kara.

NOTE TO ALL: Sibella has potentially claimed the Blood Toil Tears and Sweat speech, but is getting back (it's a question of whether she wants to do it here or in the general House of Commons collection).

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
ink tree

Post by ink tree »

May I take "The Few, 1940" please? :D
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Yes :D :D
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

I'd like to do 13, 14, 18 and 22.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Four?!

No problem, but pretty soon I'm going to just make my signature "Thanks Sibella", and save myself a lot of typing :wink: .
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

15 ('Their finest hour') and 23 ('Victory in Europe'), please, Carl :D
English is the lingua franca par excellence
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Philippa.
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Carl, :lol:

I'm back for more! I have been reading Churchill all evening and I might be just a little bit in love with that cranky old gentleman. I think I need to read a good bio!

I would love to claim 12, and 19, 20, and 21. I know it's greedy. But this stuff is really inspiring, and really, REALLY interesting to me.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Sibella wrote:... I have been reading Churchill all evening and I might be just a little bit in love with that cranky old gentleman. I think I need to read a good bio!

I would love to claim 12, and 19, 20, and 21. I know it's greedy. But this stuff is really inspiring, and really, REALLY interesting to me.
Let me suggest, since you like his speeches, his 6 volume history of WWII: The Gathering Storm, Their Finest Hour, The Grand Alliance, The Hinge of Fate, Closing the Ring., and Triumph and Tragedy. Not exactly a bio, but an excellent history of World War II written by Churchill, covering teh period from immediately before the war until the election in 1945 when Churchill's party lost the majority of Parliament. Even I took about a week per book when I was reading paper books. Each is about 1 1/2 inches thick, hardback.

Unfortunately for me, the last one was published in 1951, so I'm gussing they're still in copyright. The copies I have were published by Houghton Mifflin out of Boston MA, but I'm guessing that they were published in the UK prior to US publication and therefore not eligible for Rule 6 if the copyright wasn't renewed. I would love to hear these recorded by someone like George Guidall, or Mark Smith (of Simsonville, South Carolina. soon to be of Virgina).
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Thanks, Paul! That's a lovely suggestion. I will put them on my reading list.

[/b][/size]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

[/b][/size]