COMPLETE The Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare - kh

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

I went ahead and uploaded the Narrator's lines for Acts I and II:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_narrator_act1_shakespeare.mp3

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_narrator_act2_shakespeare.mp3

These versions are WITHOUT adding in the characters' names the first time they speak in a scene. Let me know if I should add them in ... it's easily enough done.

-denny
asy

Post by asy »

Thanks Denny!!!

I'm not sure about the names, but I'll talk to Kristin and see what she suggests and maybe have a listen to an example with them as I can't remember having heard one. Mind you I think it's a good idea, but I just worry that it'll affect the flow of the play.

I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts too.

asy :D
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
Dave in the Fax

Post by Dave in the Fax »

DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Dave in the Fax wrote:The 'King Lear' recording includes the names.

http://ia300032.us.archive.org/2/items/king_lear_librivox/king_lear_1_shakespeare_64kb.mp3
I knew I had heard character introductions as characters spoke their first lines in a scene! In fact, in the recording above, earthcalling reads the stage directions and the first character introduced was me as Kent, followed by Gloucester.

Someone should ask earthcalling how people have reacted ... hearing it again myself, I think it helps.

-denny
Dave in the Fax

Post by Dave in the Fax »

My gut feeling is that it isn't necessary, the stage directions should be sufficient, and characters tend to call each other by name when they meet anyway. But that's just me.
mb

Post by mb »

I'm in the 'not terribly necessary' camp as well.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Dave in the Fax wrote:My gut feeling is that it isn't necessary, the stage directions should be sufficient, and characters tend to call each other by name when they meet anyway. But that's just me.
I remember heaving a sigh of relief when I heard David (earthcalling) saying the names of characters who first read in scenes, knowing that I could listen without reading along.

I think the objections don't keep in mind that listeners are one group, and readers, a quite different group.

I continue to vote for mentioning one time only a character's name the first time they read in a scene.

-denny
Last edited by DSayers on May 29th, 2008, 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

For Lear, if I remember rightly, I only gave a character's name the very first time they spoke, and I think only if they weren't introduced by name by another character or stage direction immediately before they speak. That assumes that the characters' voices are distinct, and the listeners are paying attention, so they don't lose track of who is who. I took the view that it would disrupt the flow to keep introducing them.

Another way would be to have each reader announce their character at the beginning, but that would require more memory-power from the listeners, particularly for the characters appearing first in later acts/scenes.

David
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Well, after a good night's sleep ... I'm rethinking the need for introductory namings in each scene.

In this play, there are relatively fewer characters most of whom speak at length, so that voices would become recognizable more quickly.

I'll go ahead and finish the Narrator's part without them. We can always add them in at the end if we like.

So here's Act 3:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_narrator_act3_shakespeare.mp3

-denny
asy

Post by asy »

As you say, Denny, Few parts and long ones. And it can all be added in later, if deemed required.

I really do like the idea of each person doing their own voice introduction for example simply:

"Larysa Jaworski reading Portia"

but only for the very beginning of the play. Or will this make the introduction too long?

asy.
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
kristin

Post by kristin »

asy wrote:I really do like the idea of each person doing their own voice introduction for example simply:

"Larysa Jaworski reading Portia"

but only for the very beginning of the play. Or will this make the introduction too long?

asy.
Not too long and a good intro to the readers.

Whether the names are read at character's first line is up to you.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
asy

Post by asy »

Here's Portia's act 1.

Hopefully my cold is over.. :(

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_Portia_act1.mp3

asy :D
David O'Connell

Post by David O'Connell »

I once knew how to fix mercury, and now I am myself fixed.
mb

Post by mb »

Sounds great David!

I think that you've said 'Gratanio' for 'Gratiano', though. I thought I'd mention it now in case it comes up again in later acts.

We seem to have a good double act going :D
David O'Connell

Post by David O'Connell »

mb wrote:I think that you've said 'Gratanio' for 'Gratiano', though.
:oops:

Boy is my face red! Yeah, it would make the meter sound a whole lot better if I actually read his name properly. Hoo-boy. Thanks for the catch, I would've completely missed it.
mb wrote:We seem to have a good double act going :D
Aye, that we do.
I once knew how to fix mercury, and now I am myself fixed.