COMPLETE The Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare - kh

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
asy

Post by asy »

After two years, this project is complete! Files can be found here: http://librivox.org/the-merchant-of-venice-by-william-shakespeare

OK, here's a rather ambitious first BC project for me.

It's a play I'm really passionate about, and I really wanted to do Portia, so I figured I'd best BC it!

I'm very pleased that Kristin has thankfully said she'd be MC for me, which I'm very grateful for (Thanks AGAIN Kristin).

Ta,

Larysa.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare.

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:

This play generally has few parts, but those which are there have lots of lines.
I'd really like this play to have that great Shakespearean 'musical flow' through the speech. If there's anyone who's never done Shakespeare before who'd like to take one of the smaller parts, please feel free. If this is your first time reading Shakespeare and you aren't quite sure how to get the 'flow' I'll be happy to get on the phone with you and help. :)

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE:

Launcelot Gobbo: Should be pronounced "Lawn-se-lot" not "Lanse-a-lot".

Tubal: Should be pronounced "Tibbal" rather than "Tube-al"

I'll add more as they come up.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: June 1, 2010 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Completion date for individual roles: May 1, 2010. (This will allow time for editing and proof-listening of the final project.) If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): TEXT TO BE READ FROM
    You may use this text to assist you finding your lines, but as it *may* not be copyright free please do NOT read from this one... OPENSOURCE Shakespeare LINK
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

edit

PLEASE NOTE: Please record ONE ACT per file. Thanks :)
  • BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    Say:
    "The Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare. . Charactername Act xx"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Charactername Act xx]"
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
Please also post in this thread when you have uploaded a part!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
merchantofvenice_carachtername_act#_shakespeare.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the act you are recording. (e.g. merchantofvenice_portia_act1_shakespeare.mp3)

Recording Notes: Please record your dialog with a 1-2 second pause in between your lines, so that the waveforms don't touch each other. Please do not attempt any type of filtering or modification of the "raw" sound.

Please insert this Tone in between scene breaks. It'll make it much easier to visually spot the scene divisions when editing. Thanks!

Tone

BTW - this tone can be generated inside Audacity by selecting Generate>Tone. It'll default to a 30-second length, but can be trimmed down like any other sound. (Trim to about 5 seconds)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title:Charachtername act# scene#
Artist: Shakespeare
Album: Merchant of Venice

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kh - kristin
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by asy on May 27th, 2008, 5:05 am, edited 9 times in total.
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
asy

Post by asy »

MY short description:

In my opinion this is the ‘smartest’ of the Shakesperean plays. It’s plot twists and turns, and proves, in the end, that you should always know what you’re agreeing to when you agree to it. Especially in contracts. I’ve often said that all Lawyers studying contract law should be made to read this play!

It centres around Portia, a lady, Antonio, a merchant, Shylock, a moneylender, and Bassanio, a gentleman.

Portia had been left a vast fortune upon her father’s death, however he has also been left with a promise, to only marry the man who can guess which casket her father left her picture in. Is it in the Gold, Silver or Lead one???

Bassanio loves Portia and wants to travel to her to have his turn at guessing the caskets, but alas he has no money. He asks his good friend Antonio to loan him the money. Antonio would, but his funds are all tied up in several shipping ventures, which cannot possibly fail. Antonio resolves to allow Bassanio to borrow the money from Shylock (Antonio’s enemy) using him as guarantor. Shylock requires no interest on his loan, save that if it is not repaid he wants ‘a pound of Antonio’s flesh’.

Bassanio travels to Portia to make his guess…

Antonio’s shipping ventures all fail…

Shylock wants to claim his pound of flesh…

But who will save the day???
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
musicmaiden

Post by musicmaiden »

May I PLEASE be Nerissa? Are you looking for auditions? This is my favorite of all Shakespeare, I'm so glad you're doing it! Oh, and editing ain't all that bad . . . I'm just not very good at it. :)

And, may I PL too?

What a fun birthday present. :D
www.musicmaiden.wordpress.com
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'm not sure if any roles have been claimed for this project, but I'd really love to read Portia - she's one of my favorite Shakespearean women! Will gladly do an audition if necessary.
asy

Post by asy »

Wow guys!

I didn't think anyone would be claiming just yet! How exciting!!!

Gloriana, I'm sorry, but Portia is well and truly taken, you'd have to drag it out of my cold lifeless hands! :shock: (please see the second line of my first post) Please choose one of the other gals, though!

MusicMaiden. I wouldn't need you to 'audition' as such, as I know your work :wink: (it's GREAT) however (and I hope you don't mind my being honest) I'm a little concerned because Nerissa needs to be able to do a mock male voice in the court scenes. Do you think you can 'put on' a male voice? If you can I'd be thrilled for you to do the part!

Thanks to both of you for reminding me about auditionable parts, I will alter the first post to say so.

asy.
ltlmiss

Post by ltlmiss »

I'd like to be involved, too. I haven't done one of the play projects yet and I like Shakespeare. If gloriana doesn't claim it, I'd be interested in Jessica or some smaller part. There aren't too many women roles in Shakespeare generally. Are you cross casting?
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1944]Librivox Recordings by ltlmiss[/url]
[color=red][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16174]Be Melodramatic:[/url] The Perils of Pauline[/color] (Lots of parts still available.)
asy

Post by asy »

Hiya ltlmiss,

We will be cross casting some of the smaller parts but most of the bigger roles will be gender specific or by audition (some gals are fine with male parts, just gotta have that deeper voice thing happennin'!) :)

If you'd like a small part (Jessica isn't really small) maybe take one of the servants. They still have quite a bit and I'm not fussed about cross casting there. Maybe Leonardo, Balthazar or Stephano. :D I think you'd be great for Jessica, though, if Gloriana doesn't want her. Please let me know :) Great to have you onboard!!!

The magic window should be up soon, and it will say which parts are gender specific.

asy.
ltlmiss

Post by ltlmiss »

I would like to try Jessica if Gloriana doesn't want the part. Otherwise, yes, I'd like one of the servants. Keep me posted. This looks like a fun project.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1944]Librivox Recordings by ltlmiss[/url]
[color=red][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16174]Be Melodramatic:[/url] The Perils of Pauline[/color] (Lots of parts still available.)
asy

Post by asy »

Thanks!!!

I had a listen to some of your other Shakespeare stuff and you read VERY well, so I'm extremely pleased you're onboard!!!

Gotta luv a good Thespian! (I need that on a T-Shirt :oops: )

asy :D
Jestermedia

Post by Jestermedia »

Hi,

Merchant of Venice is one of those weird anomalies that's slipped through the net for me. Never been in it, and only ever seen it once. Would be very interested in being in it. However, my voice is completely kaput at the moment with a nasty head cold (plus chest and sinus infection that's really causing the damage). You can hear stuff I've done though by looking at my profile if that helps. Because I don't know the play that well I'm happy to be guided as to the most suitable part.

cheers,

Simon
asy

Post by asy »

Oh my GOSH Simon!!!

I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Hoping you'd sign up for this one!

/me dances and sings...

I assume your voice will be better some time before Xmas? :lol:

Aaaaand, since you're the first guy to wander in, you may have your choice!

Would you prefer the villain (Shylock) or the beloved Antonio, or Portia's love Bassanio???

IF I had to choose, I'd give you Shylock. I'd LOVE to hear your voice doing the 'if you cut us' soliloquy... :oops: But please have a look at the text and see which you'd prefer.

Thanks again,

asy :D :D :D :D:D
Jestermedia

Post by Jestermedia »

errr...wow. Not quite the response I was expecting. Shucks, I'm all embarrassed now. Yeah, OK, I'll have a crack at Shylock. Will have to familiarise myself a bit more with the play but I can be doing that whilst I get rid of this stupid illness.

Thanks.

Simon
asy

Post by asy »

Thanks! I'm very pleased you'll do Shylock, especially since I already took the liberty of putting your name in the magic box... :oops:

Looking forward to hearing it!

asy
kristin

Post by kristin »

Launcelot Gobbo, please. :D
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
mb

Post by mb »

I'd like to read Bassanio, please.