COMPLETE[FICT]An American Politician by F.Marion Crawford-lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Maikki

Post by Maikki »

An American Politician by F. Marion Crawford .

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/an-american-politician-by-francis-marion-crawford/
In 1880’s Boston, Mass. the good life is lead according to all the Victorian era societal rules of the New World. Political ambitions and the business of making money go hand in hand. A Senate seat suddenly opens up due to the current junior senator’s unexpected death, and the political machinations to fill the seat begin. Senatorial candidate John Harrington is a young idealist who thinks that fighting for truth and justice, regardless of political affiliation, is the way. But he is told he can’t possibly win because he isn’t partisan enough. His opponents in the iron mine, railroad and shipping business sabotage his first bid for office, because he wants to do away with protectionism in trade to open up global competition. He eventually succeeds in winning a Senate seat. He gives a rousing speech to Congress as they gather to elect a President in a race which has ended in a three way tie. His message is that blindly following a party’s positions and principles is not being free and independent, and will not always lead to the best person being elected, or to the best decisions being made for the country as a whole. (Summary written by Maire Rhode)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    30-day rule: If I don’t hear from for 30 days in a row after you claim a chapter, I will assume that you are not able to complete the reading at this time, for whatever reason. The chapter will then be returned to the pool to be available to other readers. This does not mean that you only have 30 days to do the recording. It merely means that you should keep in touch, so that I know you are still with the project. If you find at any time that you cannot complete your reading, please let me know. Such is volunteer work… doesn’t always quite fit in our lives, and there is no shame in that!  And you will always be welcomed back when you return!
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: December 31, 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can, so that proof listeners can get busy, too.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7374
    Please read from the Click’n Read links provided in the Magic Window, as they include intros as well.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

======================================================

(Admin link)
    =======================================================
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of An American Politician. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " An American Politician by F. Marion Crawford. Chapter [number]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of An American Politician by F. Marion Crawford.."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    americanpolitician_##_crawford.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. americanpolitician_15_crawford.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title] For example: 09[space]-[space]Chapter 9
    Artist: F. Marion Crawford
    Album: An American Politician
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Maikki on April 16th, 2008, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maikki

I can no longer read quietly, can you?
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Maikki,
I'd like to be your MC on this project. It will be my first MC job, but I have great backup in case I need it - so everything should go OK :) And besides, you have got some experience as a BC already.

Thank you for filling in all the information in the first post! That makes my job easier. The suggestions for tags etc all look fine.
Only for the filenames you might consider just making it "americanpolitician_##_crawford" (so leaving out the "an") to make it a little shorter, but it's not a big deal - whatever you want.

I've entered the project into the database, and will now work on getting you the magic window, etc. I'll be back later!

Anna
Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Thanks, Anna, for picking up this project, it'll be great to work together!

Good point re the filename, I will change it; it will possible reduce misspellings etc :) (I'm always leaving out syllables).

I'll add the etxt links to the MW tonight, and then we're on our way,

Maikki
Maikki

lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Maikki,
All set up - I think. Let me know if you meet with any problems. It's great that you've made etexts including the introductions! That's always so convenient when recording.

(By the way - the "lz" still needs to be added to the MC drop down menu on the LV uploader page, but I guess there won't be any recordings yet tonight, so we have some time).

And let's see if some friendly dedicated proof-listener comes along!

Anna
Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Thanks Anna!

Yes a DPL would be awesome! We'll see :)
Maikki

Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Hhmmfh :cry: :roll: :? :wink: :lol:
Maikki

Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Anybody ? :shock:
Maikki

BobS

Post by BobS »

Hi,

I'd like to do chapters 21 thru 23, if possible.

thanks!

BobS
Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Hey, thanks for coming over, BobS, 21-23 are yours, enjoy! :)
Maikki

Maikki

Post by Maikki »

The first three chapters are up and ready for a proof listener, if one should happen to come by ... :)
Maikki

BobS

Post by BobS »

Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Maikki

lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Maikki,
I've some recording time in the near future I think, and would love to read for this work - could I read chapter 13 & 14?
Thanks!
Anna
Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Took pity on me, eh :wink:

Thanks, Anna, much appreciated, I've put you down for 13 and 14. It's really a perfectly nice book, in spite of a title that some might shy away from - :lol:

Amazingly different from English Victorian novels...
Maikki

BobS

Post by BobS »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/americanpolitician_22_crawford.mp3

Thanks very much for making it so easy to get at and read these chapters.

BobS