COMPLETE: Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jude

Post by jude »

I've uploaded Section 25 for review. The vitals are:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lm/theoryofmoralsentiments_25_smith.mp3

Size: 18.8MB
Duration: 20:29

jude

--
"Thanks again, for another day full of something that
just can't put my finger on." -- Kim Knoche
Warbow

Post by Warbow »

Howdy,

I'd like to do magic window section:

30 Part VI: Section III Chapter Id

I'm new here but I've read teh FAQ's and I do have some production experience.

(Looking over the text: has there ever been a man so enamored of commas and semicolons as Adam Smith? If my application to do section 30 meets with your approval, keeping track of the clauses while reading aloud should be interesting :-) )
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

Warbow wrote:I'd like to do magic window section:
30 Part VI: Section III Chapter Id

I'm new here but I've read teh FAQ's and I do have some production experience.
Hi Warbow, welcome to the project (and to librivox)! I have signed you up for section 30. if you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see the window with you signed up.

what name/pseudonym would you like to appear under in the librivox catalog? do you have a URL you'd like listed?

before you record the entire section, it would be a good idea to upload (to the LibriVox Uploader - see first post "Transfer of Files") a brief, say 5 min., sample recording to make sure that sound quality etc. is a-okay before you do the whole thing.

Have fun with the commas! :)
Warbow

Post by Warbow »

Hi,

I've uploaded a short test file.

Already I've found I've made two procedural mistakes :cry:

1) Through some mysterious mental process I managed to record the first part of section 27 instead of section 30 as the test file--but that shouldn't matter for quality check. Once you sign off on the sample, I'll start recording the correct text for section 30 (which is a fair bit shorter), though if that works out and if nobody claims 27 may request that section.

2) I may have incorrectly uploaded the file. I uploaded the file as

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lm/theoryofmoralsentiments_27-TEST_SAMPLE_smith.mp3

4.4MB
4:39

--but I uploaded it to the project's MC rather than the "xx -- Non Project files" category. I wasn't sure if the test files category in the upload instructions was for "personal" upload tests or if it included project upload tests.

Please catalog me under my name "Gerard Hughes." No url at this time.

Thanks
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

thanks LM! magic window updated.
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

Warbow wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the sample! looks like you did the upload just fine :) i will listen to the file tonight/tomorrow and let you know; i'm sure it's great.

i'll add your name to the catalog database.

ns
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

jude wrote:I've uploaded Section 25 for review. The vitals are:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lm/theoryofmoralsentiments_25_smith.mp3
thanks jude! magic window updated.
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

Warbow wrote:Hi,

Thanks
hi warbow,

your test file sounds GREAT! thanks so much. looking forward to listening to your whole chapter.
did you want to switch to section 27? just let me know and i'll make the switch.

thank again,
nikki
jude

Post by jude »

I've uploaded Section 26 for review. The vitals are:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lm/theoryofmoralsentiments_26_smith.mp3

Size: 31.5MB
Duration: 34:19

Two Things(!):

1) There is a paragraph in section 26 that begins with "It is only, however, with the dutiful and the virtuous...." About half way into the paragraph, there is a punctuation anomaly on the web page (plainly evident). It is possible that some of the paragraph was truncated by whomever created the page. I read it, however, as it appears on the web page.

2) I uploaded Chapter 25 a week ago, but it hasn't reflected on my "report card" yet. Please indicate on my personal record that I have completed the reading of sections 25 and 26 and move the whole record to my completed readings section. Thanks.

Ladies and germs, my work here is done...

jude

--
"Thanks again, for another day full of something that
just can't put my finger on." -- Kim Knoche
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

jude wrote:I've uploaded Section 26 for review.
thanks jude, i've updated the magic window.
jude wrote: 1) There is a paragraph in section 26 that begins with "It is only, however, with the dutiful and the virtuous...." About half way into the paragraph, there is a punctuation anomaly on the web page (plainly evident). It is possible that some of the paragraph was truncated by whomever created the page. I read it, however, as it appears on the web page.
leonmire, do you have any suggestions of what we should do in this case? I'll take a look at other online versions and see how they compare.
jude wrote: 2) I uploaded Chapter 25 a week ago, but it hasn't reflected on my "report card" yet.
jude, i check sections off as complete once a proof listener has verified that they are fine and okay to publish.
jude

Post by jude »

ettelocin/Leon,

I checked Google books and the paragraph I questioned yesterday is, in fact, correct (1853 ed.). I did not see a semi-colon yesterday where one exists today. Must be the onset of senility. Sorry for the panic. Carry on.

jude
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Well I'm glad that the problem resolved itself in this case, but for future reference, ettelocin.. if there's clearly a typo in the e-text, it's perfectly fine to read from another one, provided it's the same edition and all. And if it's obvious what the e-text should say (e.g. "He went to the makret yesterday"), it's of course fine to correct the typo in the spoken version.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
Ashwin Jain

Post by Ashwin Jain »

ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

Ashwin Jain wrote:section 10 at -

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lm/theoryofmoralsentiments_10_smith.mp3

25:03

Regards,
Ashwin
thanks ashwin! i've added this to the magic window.