COMPLETE - MYSTERY The Film Mystery by Arthur B. Reeve lb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Maikki

Post by Maikki » March 11th, 2008, 6:09 pm

The Film Mystery by Arthur B. Reeve

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-film-mystery-by-arthur-b-reeve/

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!

The Film Mystery is one of eighteen detective novels by Arthur B. Reeve starring his best known character Professor Craig Kennedy, and his trusty sidekick Walter Jameson, a newspaper reporter. The pair bears an unmistakable resemblance to the more famous British master sleuth and his doctor friend. The setting of this mystery is the early days of movie making, and the murder victim is Stella Lamar, “the beautiful idol of the screen, beloved of millions”, who collapses and dies during the filming of a scene for her latest movie. (Summary by Maire Rhode)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project is June 30, 2008 but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
    Chapters will go back to be reclaimed if there has been no contact made within a month of a reader claiming a section. This doesn't mean you have to record in the month, just be sure to keep in touch to let me know how things are going.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): ] http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5270 -For your convenience I have provided a link to each chapter’s text in the Magic Window, including intro and outro. I call it the Click ‘n Read :).
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
  6. Type of proof-listening required:: Standard Proof-listening :

-- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?

======================================================

(BC admin)
=======================================================
[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of [The Film Mystery]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    " The Film Mystery, by Arthur B. Reeve. . [Chapter]"

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Film Mystery, by Arthur B. Reeve. "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
titleoneword_##_authorsurname.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. thefilmmystery_01_reeve.mp3) Note: thefilmmystery has two m’s!

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Arthur B. Reeve
Album: The Film Mystery
Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lb - luciburg
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Maikki on March 11th, 2008, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maikki

I can no longer read quietly, can you?

luciburg

Post by luciburg » March 11th, 2008, 6:56 pm

I'll set this one up for you Maikki, be back shortly with the MW etc.

Lucy :)
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]

Maikki

Post by Maikki » March 11th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Awesome, Lucy! :D :D
Maikki

luciburg

Post by luciburg » March 11th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Maikki all set up and ready to go for you, I take it that you are familiar with editing the MW. If not I am only too happy to help you in any way.

Looks like a real great story, Oh!!! how I love mysteries, I'll have to jump in soon and claim some chapters myself.

Looking forward to working with you.

Lucy :)

Maikki

Post by Maikki » March 11th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Thanks, Lucy. Yes, I can work my way around a MW, thanks.

Well, we'll see how this goes. I'll link the text for each chapter in there tonight, and off we go!

This'll be fun :),
Maikki

P.S. Have as many as you like, I'm not counting! :wink:
Maikki

Gesine

Post by Gesine » March 12th, 2008, 1:26 am

Oooh Maire, you found a mystery that can be read by everyone! How lovely. May I please have chapter 3, Tangled Motives?

And this is so beautifully set up, what with word counts and links to each texts. Thanks for all the work. Really helps us lazy readers. ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Maikki

Post by Maikki » March 12th, 2008, 2:19 am

Thanks for the compliment, Gesine, and I'm thrilled to already have a reader!
You've got section/chapter 3.

Maikki :)
Maikki

luciburg

Post by luciburg » March 12th, 2008, 2:42 am

Agree with Gesine, the window looks great.

I bet to jump in and claim some chapters, how about 11, 17 & 23.

Thanks Lucy :)

Maikki

Post by Maikki » March 12th, 2008, 3:52 am

luciburg wrote:Agree with Gesine, the window looks great.

I bet to jump in and claim some chapters, how about 11, 17 & 23.

Thanks Lucy :)
They are yours, Lucy :)

Maikki
Maikki

Sibella

Post by Sibella » March 12th, 2008, 5:54 am

Hi, Maikki! I'd like to claim a couple of chapters (but I will be away next week and I don't think I'll record them before I leave - just letting you know in advance).

How about: 1, 18, 24, and 32?
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]

Roger

Post by Roger » March 12th, 2008, 6:08 am

I'd be interested in recording chapters 4 and 5 if they happened to show up as assigned to me?

:D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"

Maikki

Post by Maikki » March 12th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Sibella, I think 1, 18, 24, and 32 are as good as any and they are yours! BTW, don't tell us how it ends!

And Roger, it's the darnest thing, but your name has just appeared exactly by those two chapters, 4 and 5!

Maikki :)

P.S. It figures that now that I decided to do a book "running a tight ship" by posting assignment dates in the window, all you wonderful (ir)regulars are jumping in! I love it! So it's discipline you like! :wink:
Maikki

Gesine

Post by Gesine » March 12th, 2008, 1:37 pm

What! You didn't do that before? :shock: That's what I call Slacker BCdom ;)

(Unfortunately, writing the date in doesn't ensure faster completion - but there's always hope! :))
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Maikki

Post by Maikki » March 12th, 2008, 2:24 pm

I'm crushed. I thought it was called a Magic Window, because whatever you put in there magically happens! Does this mean I'm not going to look like a twenty year old again in the morning? And world peace is a brand of vegetable? I'm :?

Well, Maikki is off to Phineas Finn... (no relation...) :)
Maikki

Hoosemon

Post by Hoosemon » March 13th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Hi Maikki,

I've been walking around the edge of the pool long enough, time to dive in.

I'm a first time reader, you can use my login name Hoosemon as my tag.

I'd like to try chapters 22 & 26 if that's ok with you.

I'll make sure to read all the instructions and try to do everything according to Hoyle, but don't hesitate to correct me if I goof on something.

Thanks,

Brian :?