[COMPLETE] The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole - mla

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole.

This project is complete. All files can now be downloaded from our website: http://librivox.org/the-castle-of-otranto-by-horace-walpole/

The Castle of Otranto is a 1764 novel by Horace Walpole. It is generally held to be the first gothic novel, initiating a literary genre which would become extremely popular in the later 18th century and early 19th century. Thus, Castle, and Walpole by extension is arguably the forerunner to such authors as Ann Radcliffe, Bram Stoker, Daphne du Maurier, and Stephen King. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: October 31, 2008
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/696
  • Type of proof-listening required: Proof-listening against the text
    -- While listening, follow the online text and note any differences (with the time).
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?
  • Wikipedia link to title: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Castle_of_Otranto
  • Wikipedia link to author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Walpole

(BC admin)
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning of each file:
    • Chapter ## of The Castle of Otranto.
    • This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
    • The Castle of Otranto, by Horace Walpole. Chapter ##

At the end of the section, say:
    • End of Chapter ##

At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    • End of The Castle of Otranto, by Horace Walpole.
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Filename: castleotranto_##_walpole.mp3
    • Example ID3 V2 tags
    • Artist: Horace Walpole
    • Track: ## - Chapter ##
    • Album: The Castle of Otranto
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: mla - amethysta
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Great Plains on March 25th, 2008, 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

I haven't done a solo before or started a collaborative project. So please let me know if I need to do something else besides create this thread. Thanks for your help :-)
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Oh YES!!--- Get recording silly!!! :wink:

It all looks good but an MC will come along and check it all over for you. I'm not taking on any more projects at the moment.

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Starlite wrote:Oh YES!!--- Get recording silly!!! :wink:
What? :shock:

You mean the recordings aren't going to fall out of the sky at night and crash through my ceiling?

Well, this is turning out to be a lot more work than I thought. :?
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Hi Daniel,

I can be your MC for you...give me a bit to get you set up and I'll see if I need anymore info, too.

As to the file length. It depends, we try not to go any longer than will fit on an Audio CD, which is 80 minutes, or there abouts. Many people prefer files about 20 minutes long as they find it easier to find their place if they lose it while listening to a file, if it's only a 20 minute file. There isn't a much time to search for your lost place within the 20 minutes. Since I mostly listen to files on my Ipod, I find that I like a bit longer than that, and usually won't divide a chapter I record unless it gets longer than 50 or 60 minutes. As this is your solo, you can decide where you want to divide your files I'd recommend anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or thereabouts. I'll start you out with 6 sections and we can increase this if you decide you want to divide your files and we need to add more.

Thanks!

Mary
Bloom where you’re planted!
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Okay Daniel,

Your Magic Window is all set up, since this is your first solo, have you ever edited a Magic Window before? If not, let me know and I can send your your log-in info and some instructions on how to do it. Above all, have fun! :D I like your sense of humor. I look forward to working with you on your project. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Oh, one other thing...could you tell me what genre this would be under? I think generally it's probably fiction, right? Is there any other more specific type it is also, like mystery, horror, ghost story, ect.?

Mary
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

One sugestion on ID tags:

Title: 01 - Chapter ##

instead of this:

Title: Chapter ##

It will help it to sort properly.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Thank you, Mary, for MC'ing! 8)
AmethystA wrote:As to the file length. It depends, we try not to go any longer than will fit on an Audio CD, which is 80 minutes, or there abouts. Many people prefer files about 20 minutes long as they find it easier to find their place if they lose it while listening to a file, if it's only a 20 minute file. There isn't a much time to search for your lost place within the 20 minutes. Since I mostly listen to files on my Ipod, I find that I like a bit longer than that, and usually won't divide a chapter I record unless it gets longer than 50 or 60 minutes. As this is your solo, you can decide where you want to divide your files I'd recommend anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or thereabouts. I'll start you out with 6 sections and we can increase this if you decide you want to divide your files and we need to add more.
I agree with you about file length. I listen to podcasts that are regularly 2 hours long, and it's a bit of a pain if you lose your place.

I would like to divide the chapters up a bit, but the narrative is a bit rambley and difficult to sub-divide. I'll keep an eye towards this while recording. (But it does make one wonder why cue sheets haven't become more popular.)
Daniel, the Cylon
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

AmethystA wrote:Okay Daniel,

Your Magic Window is all set up, since this is your first solo, have you ever edited a Magic Window before? If not, let me know and I can send your your log-in info and some instructions on how to do it. Above all, have fun! :D I like your sense of humor. I look forward to working with you on your project. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Oh, one other thing...could you tell me what genre this would be under? I think generally it's probably fiction, right? Is there any other more specific type it is also, like mystery, horror, ghost story, ect.?

Mary
I have not edited a magic window before.

Wikipedia calls tCoO "the first Gothic novel", and it was the fore-runner to Dracula and Steven King. It is a ghost story and a horror. I'd suggest "ghost story" because that seems the most narrow genre applicable.

I'm looking forward to this project. This is quite a fun story to read, especially out loud. It's really funny, too, IMO, with so many interesting characters. I was totally surprised that it's not already been Librivox'ed.
Daniel, the Cylon
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Starlite wrote:One sugestion on ID tags:

Title: 01 - Chapter ##

instead of this:

Title: Chapter ##

It will help it to sort properly.

Esther :)
Will do! Thanks for the advice!
Daniel, the Cylon
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Is it possible to edit my catalog entry?
If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: Great Plains
I just created a blog: "In Space, I Can Hear You Scream".
Daniel, the Cylon
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Yes, I can take care of that for you. No problem. :)
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Daniel,

I added in your blog as your URL in the catalog for you.
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

AmethystA wrote:Daniel,

I added in your blog as your URL in the catalog for you.
Woot! Thanks a million!
Daniel, the Cylon
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Daniel,

Here's the definition of 'word-perfect' proof-listening (from the listening FAQ the solo template refers to):-

--------

Proof-listening against the text
-- While listening, follow the online text and note any differences (with the time).
-- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
-- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
-- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
-- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
-- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?

----------

Best to copy that into your top post.

If you're also asking for CC, it would help if you give more detail of what sort of feedback you want.

By the way - Great choice of book! You'll have a hoot recording it, I'm sure.

David