COMPLETE: Good Wives by Louisa May Alcott - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

Good Wives by Louisa M. Alcott.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/good-wives-by-louisa-may-alcott/

Louisa May Alcott's overwhelming success dated from the appearance of the first part of Little Women: or Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy, (1868) a semi-autobiographical account of her childhood years with her sisters in Concord, Massachusetts. Part two, or Part Second, also known as Good Wives, (1869) followed the March sisters into adulthood and their respective marriages. (Summary from Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: February 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/5/6/frameset.html
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of [Good Wives]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Good Wives, by Louisa May Alcott. . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Good Wives, by Louisa May Alcott. "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    goodwives_##_alcott.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. goodwives_01_alcott.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Louisa May Alcott
    Album: Good Wives

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ss - SSherris
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Kehinde on January 14th, 2009, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If not now, when? Wake up and live!
SSherris

Post by SSherris »

Hi Kehinde! Need an MC? I'll set up your Magic Window in a jiffy!
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

SSherris wrote:Hi Kehinde! Need an MC? I'll set up your Magic Window in a jiffy!
Thanks Scott! Sure appreciate it- Image[/size]
parnassus

Post by parnassus »

I would like to read chapters 2, 13, and 23. I think that's a good start.

~J~
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

parnassus wrote:I would like to read chapters 2, 13, and 23. I think that's a good start.

~J~

Hello parnassus!

Welcome to Librivox and many thanks for taking an interest in this project! Sections 2, 13, and 23 are yours as requested. Image

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Thanks again and I certainly look forward to hearing your recordings!

Kehinde

[/size]
Martina

Post by Martina »

HI Kehinde,

Wow you were quick, good work! :D

May I read chapters 2 to 8 please,

cheers,

Martina
Giacomo07

Post by Giacomo07 »

Well, going in order with others, may I read Chapter 9, please?
Thanks!
Giacomo
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

Martina wrote:HI Kehinde,

Wow you were quick, good work! :D

May I read chapters 2 to 8 please,

cheers,

Martina
heehee! Thanks Martina! I knew you'd want this project posted! You're all signed up for chapters 2-8! Image [/size]
Giacomo07 wrote:Well, going in order with others, may I read Chapter 9, please?
Thanks!
Giacomo
Yes, you may indeed and thanks Giacomo! Image[/size]
mindy

Post by mindy »

Hi,

I'd like to claim sections 10, 11, and 12.

Cheers,

- Mindy :wink:
~~-------*------------~***~-----------*-------------~~
- Mindy
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

mindy wrote:Hi,

I'd like to claim sections 10, 11, and 12.

Cheers,

- Mindy :wink:
Thanks Mindy! You're all set! Image [/size]
mlemmons

Post by mlemmons »

I would like to have chapters 14 and 15 please. It may be two to three weeks before they are up because I am currently building costumes for our UIL One Act competition. I will be able to record next weekend and then I have all of Spring Break. If this long of a wait is not OK, that's fine with me and I'll see if there are any chapters left by then. I'm just noticing that it is filling up quickly.

Melissa
English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

http://melissalemmons.blogspot.com/
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

mlemmons wrote:I would like to have chapters 14 and 15 please. It may be two to three weeks before they are up because I am currently building costumes for our UIL One Act competition. I will be able to record next weekend and then I have all of Spring Break. If this long of a wait is not OK, that's fine with me and I'll see if there are any chapters left by then. I'm just noticing that it is filling up quickly.

Melissa
Hello Melissa!

It's definitely not a problem! Image Glad to have you on this project! You're all set for 14 & 15-

UIL One Act competition?? Wow- that sounds immensely interesting!

[/size]
mlemmons

Post by mlemmons »

Yeah, One Act should be great. I get to make the costumes because I let it slip that in addition to being a Math Ed major I had a minor in theater and was especially interested in costuming. The production this year is Blithe Spirit. So I am currently working on a retro pattern for a dressing gown for the dead wife to wear, a chopped of robe made in velveteen to be a smoking jacket, a maid's outfit and a flannel nightgown. It should be great when it's all done. Then I can return to Librivox and quit stalking the forums without contributing.

Melissa
English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

http://melissalemmons.blogspot.com/
AlissaMS

Post by AlissaMS »

I would like to sign up for chapter 17. This is my first time so I'd like to go as 'AlissaMS'

Thanks
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

AlissaMS wrote:I would like to sign up for chapter 17. This is my first time so I'd like to go as 'AlissaMS'

Thanks
Thanks AlissaMS and welcome to the project! Section 17's all yours-- Would AlissaMS also be your catalog name by chance? Image And would you like us to link to a a blog or a url as well? [/size]