COMPLETE Fam Men of Middle Ages by John H. Haaren - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bear Creek Mama

Post by Bear Creek Mama »

Famous Men of the Middle Ages by John H. Haaren and A.B. Poland.

This book was cataloged on February 8, 2008. The audio files have been transferred to archive.org and may be accessed at: http://librivox.org/famous-men-of-the-middle-ages-by-john-h-haaren-and-a-b-poland/

"THE study of history, like the study of a landscape, should begin with the most conspicuous features. Not until these have been fixed in memory will the lesser features fall into their appropriate places and assume their right proportions.

The famous men of ancient and modern times are the mountain peaks of history. It is logical then that the study of history should begin with the biographies of these men.

Not only is it logical; it is also pedagogical. Experience has proven that in order to attract and hold the child's attention each conspicuous feature of history presented to him should have an individual for its center. The child identifies himself with the personage presented. It is not Romulus or Herecules or Alexander that the child has in mind when be reads, but himself, acting under similar conditions." (Excerpt from the Preface of "Famous Men of the Middle Ages")
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: March 15, 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=haaren&book=middle&story=_contents
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Famous Men of the Middle Ages. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Famous Men of the Middle Ages by John H. Haaren and A.B. Poland. Chapter #, section title"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Famous Men of the Middle Ages by John H. Haaren and A.B. Poland."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    famousmenofmiddleages_##_haaren.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - Section title
    Artist: John H. Haaren and A.B. Poland
    Album: Famous Men of the Middle Ages

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Bear Creek Mama on January 21st, 2008, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

What a cool project! I'll be your MC if that's all right.
Bear Creek Mama

Thank you, Karen!!! :D
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I think that should do it - if you need anything else, let me know!
Bear Creek Mama

That was fast! :D

Thanks again!
paradise.camouflage

Post by paradise.camouflage »

What a great book! I'd love to help :). May I do Clovis and Alaric the Visigoth?

Best wishes,

Andy
[color=green]'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'[/color]
Bear Creek Mama

paradise.camouflage wrote:What a great book! I'd love to help :). May I do Clovis and Alaric the Visigoth?

Best wishes,

Andy
Terrific! :D Welcome to this project. I've got you signed up for both. Thank you!
paradise.camouflage

Bear Creek Mama wrote:
paradise.camouflage wrote:What a great book! I'd love to help :). May I do Clovis and Alaric the Visigoth?

Best wishes,

Andy
Terrific! :D Welcome to this project. I've got you signed up for both. Thank you!
Thanks a lot - and you're very welcome :D. I remember reading this book as a child and getting interested in the Middle Ages as a result :)
[color=green]'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'[/color]
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

So I know that books of this vintage are not politically correct by today's standards, but really - "Joan of Arc" in "Famous Men of the Middle Ages" ??!! :?
Jo
Roger

Post by Roger »

Might I do section 20, William the Conqueror? :D

-- Roger
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Oh please please may I have section 32 - Gutenberg????

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

I'd like Section 17, Canute the Great (Dane).
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
paradise.camouflage

Hello there!

I have done Alaric and uploaded it

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/famousmenofmiddleages_03_haaren.mp3

I've done Clovis too and I'll post the link to it as soon as it is uploaded :D.

Best wishes,

Andy
paradise.camouflage

Here's Chapter 7 :D:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/famousmenofmiddleages_07_haaren.mp3

May I do the Robert the Bruce?

Best wishes,

Andy
Bear Creek Mama

knotyouraveragejo wrote:So I know that books of this vintage are not politically correct by today's standards, but really - "Joan of Arc" in "Famous Men of the Middle Ages" ??!! :?
Well, my thoughts, too! :lol: It should have said Famous Men and Woman...or some such thing.