[COMPLETE] World English Bible: Old Testament - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

The Old Testament, from the World English Bible.

This book was cataloged on January 23, 2009. The audio files have been transferred to Internet Archives and are available at: http://librivox.org/old-testament-world-english-bible/

The World English Bible is a modern English translation of the Bible, released directly into the public domain. Please join us in the first collaborative LibriVox project to record the entire Bible! The New Testament can be found here.

The proof-listening thread for this project can be found here.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 6 below, at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 7. to 9. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?

An update from kmerline, your MC!

Sibella has taken over as BC on this project! This is a very old project, and we need to finish it. There is a new drop dead deadline:

November 10 for all chapters claimed before August this year.

All outstanding old claims will be orphaned on Nov 10, even if you promise to record them. Sibella has already orphaned all claims from people who have not responded to private messages, and pm'ed everyone else with outstanding claims.

4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.ebible.org/web/

However, please follow the text links for the individual books in the window below.

I've also provided a word count for each section. Forum discussions have shown that most people read about 130-200 words a minute. Per 6000 words, this comes to about 30 to 45 minutes of recording time.
  5. Pronunciation of Biblical names?
    If you're unsure how to pronounce a person or place name in the Bible, you can try one of these resources (listed in order of preference):
    Biblical Words Pronunciation Guide: Audio pronunciations for many proper names

Bible Words - Phonetic Pronunciation: Fewer audio pronunciations, but more entries, with phonetic spellings (e.g. "AY-bruh-ham" for "Abraham")

The Bible Explainer: Has phonetic spellings, but somewhat more difficult to use. Includes almost every proper name in the Bible.

A good pronouncing dictionary for general use is Merriam-Webster (with audio).
  6. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  7. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  8. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapters [numbers] of [Book title], from the World English Bible. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org" (e.g. "Chapters 1 through 11 of the Book of Genesis, from the World English Bible." If your section is a complete book, simply say the book title; e.g. "The Book of Ecclesiastes, from the World English Bible")
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Then say:
      "[Book title], from the World English Bible. [Chapters]" (e.g. "The First Book of Samuel, from the World English Bible. Chapters 1 through 8")
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapters]" (unless your section ends that book; see below)
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • If your section ends the book, say:
      "End of [Book title]." (e.g. Say "End of the Book of Genesis" for the end of section 6.)
    • At the end of the whole book (that is, the end of the book of Malachi), say (in addition):
      "End of The Old Testament, from the World English Bible"
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    oldtestament_###_worldenglishbible.mp3
    ### = the reading section number. Please include leading 0's

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ### - Book Title, Chapters ##-## (e.g. "033 - 1 Samuel, Chapters 01-08")
    Album: World English Bible
    Artist: World English Bible

(For the Book of Psalms, use this format: “### - Book of Psalms, Psalms ###-###” e.g. “062 – Book of Psalms, Psalms 001-010”)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloging stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
    Other notes:
    • Do not read the words in bold in the magic window ("Jacob and Rachel" "The sun stands still" etc.). They are just there to let volunteers know where well-known stories are.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by LeonMire on January 2nd, 2008, 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi Leon - I'll be your MC. Back in a moment with the window! :)
OK, you should be all set. If you need anything else, let me know.
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Jumping ahead a little, but the early bird and all...

I would love to do Ecclesiastes. Section 080.

Walk carefully. Guard your health. If anything should happen to Harris, you are the Book of Ecclesiastes. - Fahrenheit 451
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

puffin1 wrote:Jumping ahead a little, but the early bird and all...

I would love to do Ecclesiastes. Section 080.

Walk carefully. Guard your health. If anything should happen to Harris, you are the Book of Ecclesiastes. - Fahrenheit 451
You get the worm, puffin1.. Ecclesiastes is all yours! Thanks!
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I'm going to be nice to everyone, and sign myself up for 1st Chronicles (the one that begins with the 9 chapters of genealogies).
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

May I have sections 108 (Obadiah),109 (Jonah) and 114 (Haggai)?
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

ezwa wrote:May I have sections 108 (Obadiah),109 (Jonah) and 114 (Haggai)?
Yes, you may.. thank you!
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

LeonMire wrote:I'm going to be nice to everyone, and sign myself up for 1st Chronicles (the one that begins with the 9 chapters of genealogies).
Like the soldier throwing himself on the grenade for the sake of his comrades, he volunteers to read the phone book. Brings a tear to the eye...
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
smijen

Post by smijen »

May I have section 079? Thanks. :)
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

smijen wrote:May I have section 079? Thanks. :)
It's all yours, smijen.. thanks!
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I feel selfish, but I cannot resist. May I have 33, 43 and either Isaiah, Jeremiah, or Ezekiel? (I leave the choice of prophet up to you -- I love all 3 equally.)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Caeristhiona wrote:I feel selfish, but I cannot resist. May I have 33, 43 and either Isaiah, Jeremiah, or Ezekiel? (I leave the choice of prophet up to you -- I love all 3 equally.)
When there are this many sections, that's not being greedy.. that's being generous! :) Particularly because I was afraid the major prophets would be among the last ones claimed. I've signed you up for 33, 43, and Ezekiel. Thanks, Caet!
Priya

Post by Priya »

Feels a Bit Risky..The Voice 2b heard at the beginning!
But may be I am the "assigned one by Him"
001.GENESIS-the beginning of the greatest Creation.

Can u also tell me in simple steps how 2 record in parts
& finally edit & join into a
single unbroken piece of audio.[Audacity]
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Priya wrote:Feels a Bit Risky..The Voice 2b heard at the beginning!
But may be I am the "assigned one by Him"
001.GENESIS-the beginning of the greatest Creation.

Can u also tell me in simple steps how 2 record in parts
& finally edit & join into a
single unbroken piece of audio.[Audacity]
Priya,
I've signed you up for section 1. Thank you!

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "recording in parts." So I'll let you know how I usually record my sections, and hopefully that'll help you.

I usually only read a page or two at a time when I'm recording. So maybe I'd record Genesis chapters 1 & 2 in one session. But while I'm recording Genesis 1 & 2, I don't stop Audacity every time I make a mistake. I just snap my fingers and start over a few words back. Then, when I'm done with Genesis 1 & 2, I stop the recording and export it as an mp3.

Then I'd move on to the next two or three chapters, until I was done with all of my section. I usually have five or six separate recordings for one section. So I go through all of them, one by one, and remove the mistakes (which are easy to see because snapping my finger creates a big spike in the waveform). Then, I put them all together into one. Is this what you mean? If it is, here's how to do it:

Select all of the second recording, copy it, and then paste it at the end of the first recording. If there's a lot of extra silence between the two parts, delete it. Then go to the third recording, and copy and paste it at the end of the first recording. Go through each recording, and do the same thing. Always be very careful to put it at the very end, so that they're not out of order. Once you're done with that, you simply go to File and Export like you would with any other recording.

Is that what you mean? If not, let me know, because I may have to ask someone else.

See ya, Priya!
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

This isn't something I can resist - can I be the voice of Job 059-061 inc.?
hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.