COMPLETER - [FICTION] Middlemarch, by George Eliot - lb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Guntar
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, North America, The Earth, Western Spiral Arm, The Milky Way, The Universe

Post by Guntar » January 30th, 2006, 2:47 pm

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/middlemarch-by-george-eliot/

Note: luciburg is now the Book Coordinator of this project. Please contact her with your questions, or post in this thread.

Middlemarch by George Eliot.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: March 15, 2008 (the middle of March, of course *winks*) – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/145
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

BC Link
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Middlemarch. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Middlemarch by George Eliot. Chapter [number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Title, by Author. [Translated by [translator]]."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    middlemarch_##_eliot.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. middlemarch_01_eliot.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - Chapter ##
    Artist: George Eliot
    Album: Middlemarch

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued. Even better, upload the file to the LibriVox Uploader, see below.
    • If you don't have your own server space, please upload with the LibriVox Uploader (please be sure to post the link you receive after your upload, in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lb - luciburg
      If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM Thistlechick.
Last edited by Guntar on January 31st, 2007, 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 30th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Hi Guntar... I haven't yet read this book, but I'm looking forward to hearing your recording.

I'll be your Metadata Coordinator for this project.... which means I'm here to help you get your project into the Librivox catalog. When you finish a chapter, you can either store it on your own server and post links to them here... you can email them to me via the YouSendIt (http://www.yousendit.com/?recipient=betsie@betsie.info )service and I'll store them for you on my server. Just let me know what is going to work out best for you =)

If you haven't done so already, take a look through this thread: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717 for information on file naming... and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here=)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 30th, 2006, 5:01 pm

I much enjoyed Middlemarch. Had to do a diagram to keep track of the characters and their relationships to each other (well, I was studying it at the time), but it was well worth it. :)

So tell us, what's your favourite book? I'd be happy to help with German pronunciation if you like - easy enough on LibriVox since everyone's set up for doing recordings, so can just send snippets! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Guntar
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, North America, The Earth, Western Spiral Arm, The Milky Way, The Universe

Post by Guntar » February 2nd, 2006, 4:56 pm

Gesine wrote:I much enjoyed Middlemarch. Had to do a diagram to keep track of the characters and their relationships to each other (well, I was studying it at the time), but it was well worth it. :)
Glad to know there's another Eliot fanatic here! If no one's picked them up, I'll probably do another one of her novels after this one's done.
So tell us, what's your favourite book? I'd be happy to help with German pronunciation if you like - easy enough on LibriVox since everyone's set up for doing recordings, so can just send snippets! :)
That'd be Sartor Resartus, which is unpopular enough that I can learn German before someone else steals it. It's my favourite book for several reasons, not all of which are contained within the book itself.
Last edited by Guntar on February 2nd, 2006, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guntar

Post by Guntar » February 2nd, 2006, 5:01 pm

thistlechick wrote:I'll be your Metadata Coordinator for this project.... which means I'm here to help you get your project into the Librivox catalog. When you finish a chapter, you can either store it on your own server and post links to them here... you can email them to me via the YouSendIt (http://www.yousendit.com/?recipient=betsie@betsie.info )service and I'll store them for you on my server. Just let me know what is going to work out best for you =)
I'm thinking that, because there are so many chapters in the book (86 plus a prelude and a finale), I shouldn't record them all individually. There are also 8 books in the novel, so perhaps I should divide each book into three files, leaving a much nicer 24 files? (I don't like sprawling numbers of files; 24 sounds much neater to me) Is this OK with you?

Also, it's nice to meet you! I hope that you like my voice! (Middlemarch is a long book, and if you don't...)

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » February 2nd, 2006, 8:04 pm

Guntar, 24 files sounds much more managable... once you get started, you'll get a better idea how long each section is once recorded and edited.... we generally aim for no longer than 60 minutes (give or take a bit)... see how it goes, and then adjust as needed...

Anything I can do to assist, just let me know =)
~ Betsie

Guntar

Post by Guntar » April 20th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Hey, everyone, I'm just checking in to say that everything's going well with my project; I'm on track to finish it by June.

Ummm... that's about it.

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » April 21st, 2006, 6:48 am

Awesome! Thanks for the update =)
~ Betsie

Guntar

Post by Guntar » May 17th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Errr, I managed to get depressed and lost about 3 weeks' work because of it. My bad.

I'm completely fine now, though, and have resumed work on Middlemarch. Because of that bad period, I'll be a bit late with Middlemarch: I should be done by mid-June, now, instead of June first. I hope you all will forgive me for the delay.

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » May 17th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Guntar... no worries and no rush ... I'm glad you're feeling better. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know =)
~ Betsie

Starlite

Post by Starlite » December 26th, 2006, 7:54 am

Added to database. Magic box added to first post.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

Guntar

Post by Guntar » January 13th, 2007, 10:13 am

I started grad school, and burnt out. And then I was afraid to come here and tell everyone, because I felt horribly guilty and ashamed.

But I'm back now! I'll be starting the uploading of chapters within the next few weeks (I have a lot of it recorded, but I need to edit them).

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 14th, 2007, 7:33 am

Welcome back Guntar =)

No need to feel guilty with us.... we all have real lives too and are very understanding =)

Let us know if you have any questions of if there is anything with which we may help =)
~ Betsie

Guntar

Post by Guntar » January 31st, 2007, 7:44 am

Here's the first file; I know the ideal length is 10-40 minutes, and this file is 45, but I feel it's worth it to not have 88 files, which is just unwieldly. I've decided not to record three chapters at once because that would make the length over an hour, but this should at least keep the files at 44, which is decent.

Starting the week of February 13th, I'm going to upload at least one file a week (I may miss next week because I have two grad semiars to lead).

http://www.syntheticvirtue.net/librivox/middlemarch_01-02_eliot.mp3

I can keep these files on my own server as long as you want.

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 31st, 2007, 8:14 am

Guntar, two chapters per file sounds like a good plan... we can update the chapter/file list in the magic window as we go along. I can do that for you as you complete them, but I'll also send you instructions so that you have the flexibility to do it yourself if you wish... either way (or both ways) is fine with me =)

I'm taking the day off of work today, so, I think I'll go curl up with a cat and listen to these first two chapters ... I really enjoyed listening to Danial Deronda and am looking forward to this story too =)
~ Betsie