[SCI FI] Short Sci-fi Story Collection 003 - cs

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kacutler

Post by kacutler »

Tx Brian, got tired of listening to my own voice! lol

Brian Edwards wrote:
kacutler wrote:It's a little rough Cori, could use another edit. came out at about 46 minutes

Warm Regards,
Kim
Kim

Cori has asked me to listen and advise - lucky you :twisted:

Brian
lucylou40

Post by lucylou40 »

Hi,
I am interested in reading

Sodom and Gomorrah, Texas by Raphael Aloysius Lafferty http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23161

Please let me know if this is OK?

This will be my first reading, hope I get it right!!!

Thanks
Lucy
Rick

Post by Rick »

NikolaiDante wrote:
Rick wrote: There that should work better.
And thanks for volunteering, be almost a first for both of us so we should make a great team.

See your from Ashwell, Herts. Is that in England?
Rick
Like the first comment. As long as it's not the blind leading the blind!

And yes I am In England. Are there many of us here?
Don't know really, I'm in the U.S., just that I spent about 6 years in England while I was in the Air Force. First 2 years at Bovingdon, almost a year at High Wycombe, then in a return 18 months later, 3 years at Lakenheath.

Rick
Brian Edwards

Post by Brian Edwards »

Hi Kim

Comments on Missing Link

1. At start up the title is omitted ie you start with "This is a Librivox recording etc." Normally this is preceded by the story Title "Missing Link."

2. At about 1.11 you read:

"Clean as an egg!" he barked. He paused in his round of the bridge,glared out the starboard port,"

and then repeat it.

3. At about 20.24 you read:

"There'll be a relay ship over you all the time," said Stetson. "Now ... when you're not touching that mike contact this rig'll still feed us what you say ."

and then repeat it.

4. At about 38.10 there are several minor glitches brought about by editing in the following paragraph:

""If you speak the truth, then we shall die bravely," said Tanub. "No need for you to die," said Orne. "Better to die than be slaves," said Tanub.
"We don't need slaves," said Orne. "We--""

5. At times there are microphone noises but they don't affect the reading which is very good.

I believe that with a couple of minor edits this could be cataloged.

Brian
Brian Edwards

TEWANTIN QLD
Australia
Brian Edwards

Post by Brian Edwards »

Kaffen wrote:I recorded "Gambler's World" by Keith Laumer in response to a listener who asked me for another Laumer tale. It's here:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/gambler_world_laumer_mfs.mp3

and the text is at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/21627

I see that someone else had intended to record this story for this collection. but has not done so yet; you can hold mine for Collection 004 if you prefer.

:)
I'll PL this next.

Brian
Brian Edwards

TEWANTIN QLD
Australia
kacutler

Post by kacutler »

tx brian!

that was fast!....Can you perform edits? I'm a little iffy on doing them in Real Player. It's ok if you can't. I'll do my darndest.

Warm Regards,
Kim

Brian Edwards wrote:Hi Kim

Comments on Missing Link

1. At start up the title is omitted ie you start with "This is a Librivox recording etc." Normally this is preceded by the story Title "Missing Link."

2. At about 1.11 you read:

"Clean as an egg!" he barked. He paused in his round of the bridge,glared out the starboard port,"

and then repeat it.

3. At about 20.24 you read:

"There'll be a relay ship over you all the time," said Stetson. "Now ... when you're not touching that mike contact this rig'll still feed us what you say ."

and then repeat it.

4. At about 38.10 there are several minor glitches brought about by editing in the following paragraph:

""If you speak the truth, then we shall die bravely," said Tanub. "No need for you to die," said Orne. "Better to die than be slaves," said Tanub.
"We don't need slaves," said Orne. "We--""

5. At times there are microphone noises but they don't affect the reading which is very good.

I believe that with a couple of minor edits this could be cataloged.

Brian
Brian Edwards

Post by Brian Edwards »

kacutler wrote:tx brian!

that was fast!....Can you perform edits? I'm a little iffy on doing them in Real Player. It's ok if you can't. I'll do my darndest.

Warm Regards,
Kim

Hi Kim

I have a very slow upload link and 40Mb takes over two hours so I try and avoid editing. My wife of nearly 50 years gets uppity when I tie up the system. I could manage the deletions but you should put in the title and any new recording and repost it then I could edit out the repeats and post it over night when SWMBO is sleeping :P

Brian
Brian Edwards

TEWANTIN QLD
Australia
Cori

Post by Cori »

lucylou40 wrote:Hi,
I am interested in reading

Sodom and Gomorrah, Texas by Raphael Aloysius Lafferty http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23161

Please let me know if this is OK?
It's great, Lucy -- that's one I read all the way through when researching the wiki list, and it's cool. :D
This will be my first reading, hope I get it right!!!
Just ask if you've any questions ... hopefully the first post has got all the info you need to get rolling in style! Good luck!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

NikolaiDante wrote:And yes I am In England. Are there many of us here?
Quite a few, I reckon. A number of us meet in London regularly, and others lurk the organising thread too ...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Rick

Post by Rick »

NikolaiDante wrote:Right, I'm ready and waiting Rick!!
OK, here it is.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/stairwaytothestars_shaw_rjd.mp3

Length: 42 minutes 41 seconds.
Size: 40,017 KB

Enjoy

Rick
Brian Edwards

Post by Brian Edwards »

Gambler's World PL-OK

Another great reading.

Brian
Brian Edwards

TEWANTIN QLD
Australia
Rick

Post by Rick »

Alright heres my next attempt.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22545/22545-8.txt

Warning from the Stars by Ron Cocking

PL'ing anyone?

Tks
Rick

Here it is everybody.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/warningfromthestars_cocking_rjd.mp3

Length: 44 minutes 30 seconds
Size: 41,723 KB

Enjoy
Rick
Last edited by Rick on January 28th, 2008, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NikolaiDante

Post by NikolaiDante »

Rick wrote:
OK, here it is.

Enjoy

Rick
Rick,

I've listened to the first 5 minutes of the recording and I have a problem. It's not with your delivery, to my English ears you have a drawl and it makes for a pleasant reading experience - certainly a voice to chill out to.

The problem is with the quality of the recording itself. When I first played it I couldn't hear you so I had to turn the volume right up and now there is loud background hiss. This makes it difficult (to me that is) to hear your voice. BTW I am wearing headphones to help cut out external noise.

Also there seems to be an odd echo distortion between 1:39 and 2:10

Now this is my first time as PL so before I continue to listen to the whole story, could someone else have a listen to Rick's recording and comment on the quality of the levels?

It's a shame as I was really enjoyed what I heard. In fact your delivery of the "I love you" from the first section made me laugh! Spot on!

Looking forward to some feedback before continuing.
Barny
"The pen is mightier than the sword, but only if the pen is very sharp and the sword very small"
Rick

Post by Rick »

NikolaiDante wrote:
Rick wrote:
OK, here it is.

Enjoy

Rick
Increased volume being uploaded now. Wait a little and then get the new edition. I have to go get ready for work now so won't be here when it finishes.

Keep me informed, I can still increase the volume some more if needed. I still have the parts that I recorded so once you finalise your listening, let me know where the parts are that need tweaking.

Tks
Rick

Ok, let me run the reading through my processor and I'll increase the volume for you. Again at the beginning I was experimenting with placement and distance from the microphone, so after you listen to it all please tell me if the quality and listenability improve or not.

Will get it uploaded in the next few minutes.
Tks
Rick

Rick,

I've listened to the first 5 minutes of the recording and I have a problem. It's not with your delivery, to my English ears you have a drawl and it makes for a pleasant reading experience - certainly a voice to chill out to.

The problem is with the quality of the recording itself. When I first played it I couldn't hear you so I had to turn the volume right up and now there is loud background hiss. This makes it difficult (to me that is) to hear your voice. BTW I am wearing headphones to help cut out external noise.

Also there seems to be an odd echo distortion between 1:39 and 2:10

Now this is my first time as PL so before I continue to listen to the whole story, could someone else have a listen to Rick's recording and comment on the quality of the levels?

It's a shame as I was really enjoyed what I heard. In fact your delivery of the "I love you" from the first section made me laugh! Spot on!

Looking forward to some feedback before continuing.

Ok, I up'ed the volumn and checked that area of echo. Don't know why it was there, it wasn't there on my original recording, but was when I spliced them all together. Any way replaced it and got it all uploaded again. You should be able to d/l it again and hopefully it will be better this time.

Let me know as if you still hear the echo, I may have to re-record it.

Tks
Rick
Halley

Post by Halley »

Hello Cori. Here is my first upload of a real short story. I have been off the boards since before Christmas, so I hope you did not give up on me!
I will welcome any critique. This was so fun to do and a good learning experience. http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/thewhitefeatherhex_donpeterson_kw.mp3

Time is 32 min.57 sec.
30.1 MB

I will be reading "In the Control Tower" by Will Mohler next time.
Thanks...Karen
You do not have to know where you are going, as long as you are on your way.