COMPLETE: [POETRY] Elegiac Sonnets etc. by C T Smith - mla

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cori

Post by Cori »

Mine's not very long -- I'll rerecord it tomorrow. :)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Thanks for the PM, Mary! I hadn't noticed this was so close to completion. Cori and the listeners have been busy!

I won't be making the correction to poem 097. The only way to do it would be to re-record the poem, and I'd be bound to introduce more mid-reads than the one letter I'd be fixing. In any case, it's unnoticeable unless you follow the text.

Can't wait for this to be catalogued and to have a good listen to Cori's poems!

David
Cori

Post by Cori »

I've redone 092, and it's reuploaded to the same place in the magic window (with the original version titled -old). :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Thank you both! I'll get started on putting this in the validator. Everything is now marked OK to catalog. I re-listened to your newly uploaded section, Cori, and it's A-OK.

There isn't a summary in the first post or in the description box for this project's data base entry. Do you know what you wanted to do about that? If you could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Mary
Bloom where you’re planted!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

How about this, adapted from Wikipedia:-
Charlotte Turner Smith (1749 – 1806) was an English poet and novelist. She initiated a revival of the English sonnet, helped establish the conventions of Gothic fiction, and wrote political novels of sensibility.

It was in 1784, in debtor's prison with her husband Benjamin, that she wrote and published her first work, Elegiac Sonnets. The work achieved instant success, allowing Charlotte to pay for their release from prison. Smith's sonnets helped initiate a revival of the form and granted an aura of respectability to her later novels.

Stuart Curran, the editor of Smith's poems, has written that Smith is "the first poet in England whom in retrospect we would call Romantic". She helped shape the "patterns of thought and conventions of style" for the period. Romantic poet William Wordsworth was the most affected by her works. He said of Smith in the 1830s that she was "a lady to whom English verse is under greater obligations than are likely to be either acknowledged or remembered". By the second half of the nineteenth century, however, Smith was largely forgotten.
David
Cori

Post by Cori »

Reads well to me :)
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Thanks David!

Sounds great! I'll finish up cataloging today. :D
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Well, I've run into some computer problems...but am still working on cataloging this. Sorry for the delay. If my computer cooperates, I'll get it finished up today. :roll:

Mary
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Whew! I'm happy to successfully report:

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/elegiac-sonnets-and-other-poems-by-charlotte-turner-smith/

Thanks everyone for your help and hard work on this project. It makes a great addition to our catalog. It's also already been downloaded 7 times! :clap:
Cori

Post by Cori »

Thankyou, Mary!!