COMPLETE: [POETRY] Elegiac Sonnets etc. by C T Smith - mla

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Elegiac Sonnets and Other Poems, by Charlotte Turner Smith. (1749-1806)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/elegiac-sonnets-and-other-poems-by-charlotte-turner-smith/

This is a duet by earthcalling and Cori, who will resist the temptation to record until after November.
Charlotte Turner Smith (1749 – 1806) was an English poet and novelist. She initiated a revival of the English sonnet, helped establish the conventions of Gothic fiction, and wrote political novels of sensibility.

It was in 1784, in debtor's prison with her husband Benjamin, that she wrote and published her first work, Elegiac Sonnets. The work achieved instant success, allowing Charlotte to pay for their release from prison. Smith's sonnets helped initiate a revival of the form and granted an aura of respectability to her later novels.

Stuart Curran, the editor of Smith's poems, has written that Smith is "the first poet in England whom in retrospect we would call Romantic". She helped shape the "patterns of thought and conventions of style" for the period. Romantic poet William Wordsworth was the most affected by her works. He said of Smith in the 1830s that she was "a lady to whom English verse is under greater obligations than are likely to be either acknowledged or remembered". By the second half of the nineteenth century, however, Smith was largely forgotten. (Summary by David Barnes)
Text source: http://digital.lib.ucdavis.edu/projects/bwrp/Works/SmitCElegi.htm

Author wikipage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Turner_Smith

Edit me

Short disclaimer: "[poem title] by Charlotte Turner Smith, read for LibriVox.org by [reader]." ....... "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."

ID3 tags:
Track: xxx - Poem title
Author: Charlotte Turner Smith
Album: Elegiac Sonnets and Other Poems

filenames: elegiacsonnets_xxx_smith.mp3
Last edited by earthcalling on December 22nd, 2007, 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

As soon as I posted this, I thought: "Hang on.........!!"

You've got to laugh, haven't you?

Mothballed till next weekend.
Cori

Post by Cori »

*grins* Looking forward to it then.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

There we are, all set up and divvied up.

As a special treat, you get:-

Sonnet LXX. On being cautioned against walking on a Headland overlooking the Sea, because it was frequented by a Lunatic

You can't say fairer than that, can you?
Cori

Post by Cori »

:D And you get the closing Ode to Death ... Peter will be jealous.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Starlite

Post by Starlite »

earthcalling wrote:I can't work under these conditions!!

http://librivox.earthcallingdavid.com/db/jessiestrikes.mp3
Best to make sure kitty is fed before attempting recording! :lol:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Cori

Post by Cori »

I've started work on these and have a few to upload -- where would you like them, David..? I'm guessing not in the Dec uploader where your first ones are -- but in your MC folder, or a separate project one, or on the ec-server..?

Now to overcome my newly-discovered ability to plosive just about any consonent in the versions I *won't* be uploading. Except R, since I still pwonounce that badly-but-softly. :roll:
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Cori, for what it's worth, you have a beautiful voice. And from what I can tell in California, the poshest accents in Britain don't bother pronouncing Rs at all, so what's the diff? You sound like all the others to me.

Good thing these are elegies. If it was love poetry, I'd melt between the two of you. :wink:
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

puffin1 wrote:Cori, for what it's worth, you have a beautiful voice. And from what I can tell in California, the poshest accents in Britain don't bother pronouncing Rs at all, so what's the diff? You sound like all the others to me.

Good thing these are elegies. If it was love poetry, I'd melt between the two of you. :wink:
It is a wonderful paring of voices isn't it!! :D

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Cori

Post by Cori »

:oops: Thankyou, thankyou! So, do we have any offers of prooflistening, then..? :D

I've made a new folder on your server, David, for the moment, but am happy to move the files to wherever it's most convenient to have them.
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

So, do we have any offers of prooflistening, then..?
Yes, I will PL this. :) What level do you want?
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Top job, Cori!

I've started preferring the uploader, and having project files within the ec folder. Trying to be anal about it, I'm even making back-ups... Haven't set up a folder for this yet, though.

Leave yours where they are, but next time upload to the uploader. Uploadingly.

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

puffin1 wrote:
Somewhere between adulation and melting, please. That's about level 9, I think. :D
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

earthcalling wrote:
puffin1 wrote:
Somewhere between adulation and melting, please. That's about level 9, I think. :D
Be careful what you ask for - I can lay it on pretty thick.